- Methylisothiazolinone, or MIT/MI, belongs to the group of isothiazolinones. It is a heterocyclic compound. Methylisothiazolinone is extensively used as a very strong synthetic biocide and preservative. Methylisothiazolinone is also utilized as a raw material to make pesticides; it is also employed in multiple industrial applications to control bacteria, fungi, and algae formation in paper/pulp mills, cooling water systems. Furthermore, methylisothiazolinone is used as a preservative in applications in adhesives, coatings, fuels, metals working fluids, paints and other specialty industrial products.
- Methylisothiazolinone is widely utilized in cosmetics and personal care products for its preservative and anti-microbial properties. Moreover, methylisothiazolinone is a toxic material and is cytotoxic in nature, which means it is harmful for human skin.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Methylisothiazolinone Market
- Personal care products such as hand wash and shampoos are widely used by an ever growing population to maintain personal hygiene, makeup, skincare, and healthcare. Increase in demand for personal care products is expected to drive the methylisothiazolinone market at a steady pace in developing regions. Methylisothiazolinone is also employed in cosmetics and baby care products, being a relatively cost-effective alternative as a preservative in cosmetics and baby care products. This factor is likely to fuel the demand for methylisothiazolinone as a raw material in the expanding cosmetics industry.
- Use of water-based paints has been increasing for the last few years. The water-soluble paints market is driven by the expansion of the automotive sector and use of water-soluble paints in infrastructure, construction, and building sectors, which is boosting the demand for methylisothiazolinone. Water-based paints, which contain a higher proportion of preservatives where methylisothiazolinone, are being extensively utilized.
- However, methylisothiazolinone has been reported to cause allergic contact dermatitis. This factor is expected to hamper the methylisothiazolinone market in developed regions.
Methylisothiazolinone: Application Segment
- In terms of application, the global methylisothiazolinone market can be segmented into pharmaceutical intermediates, analytical reagents, preservatives, and coating intermediates
- The preservatives segment is expected to account for a significant share of the global methylisothiazolinone market during the forecast period. It is anticipated to be followed by the coating intermediates segment.
- The pharmaceutical intermediates segment is likely to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period, due to the expansion of the pharmaceutical industry around the globe
Methylisothiazolinone: End-use Segment
- In terms of end-use, the global methylisothiazolinone market can be segmented into paints & coating, personal care & cosmetics, drug & pharmaceutical industry, paper industry, and others
- The personal care & cosmetics segment is estimated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period. It is projected to be followed by the pharmaceutical industry segment.
- The paints & coating segment is likely to expand with a healthy CAGR during the forecast period, owing to an increase in usage of paints & coating in construction and automotive industries
COVID-19 Impact on Methylisothiazolinone Market
- On January 30, 2020, the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee of the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak a public health emergency of international concern. Originating in China, the virus has spread to at least 213 countries and territories around the world.
- Several governments and private sector businesses are operating at a limited capacity or have ceased operations completely due to recent events surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic
- Manufacturing of various consumer goods and other products across the globe came to a halt due to the unavailability of raw materials, shortage of labor, and other reasons. This is expected to hamper the methylisothiazolinone market.
Asia Pacific to Dominate Methylisothiazolinone Market
- In terms of region, the global methylisothiazolinone market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific, Middle East & Africa, and Latin America are expected to lucrative regions for the methylisothiazolinone market, as methylisothiazolinone is a relatively cost-effective option. The automotive, building and construction sectors in Asia Pacific are projected to expand during the forecast period, which in turn is expected to drive the methylisothiazolinone market during the forecast period. Furthermore, expansion of the personal care industry in countries in Asia Pacific such as India, China, and Malaysia is anticipated to further boost the methylisothiazolinone market in the region.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Methylisothiazolinone Market
The global methylisothiazolinone market was consolidated in 2020. Major players have prominent presence in developed and developing countries. Key manufacturers operating in the global methylisothiazolinone market include:
- Sharon laboratories
- Santa Cruz Biotechnology
- Spectrum Chemical
- Leap Labchem
- Guangzhou ZEAL FUN Cosmetic Co., Ltd.
Global Methylisothiazolinone Market: Research Scope
Global Methylisothiazolinone Market, by Form
Global Methylisothiazolinone Market, by Application
- Pharmaceutical Intermediates
- Analytical Reagents
- Coating Intermediates
Global Methylisothiazolinone Market, by End-use
- Paints & Coating
- Personal Care & Cosmetics
- Drug & Pharmaceutical Industry
- Paper Industry
Global Methylisothiazolinone Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!