Lassa Fever Treatment Market: Introduction
Lassa fever is a type of acute illness caused by a single-stranded RNA arena virus, which belongs to the family Arenaviridae. It is a zoonotic disease, which means humans are affected only when they are infected or when they come in contact with the virus. Modes of transmission for this fever include coming in close contact to rat excreta, rat’s blood, contaminated food and water. Fever, general weakness, and malaise are a few initial symptoms of patients affected with Lassa fever. Late symptoms of this disease include headache, sore throat, muscle pain, chest pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, cough, and abdominal pain after some days. Rural areas and dwellings are more commonly affected due to poor hygiene and sanitation facilities. Ribavirin, an antiviral drug, is commonly used for the treatment of Lassa fever.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Lassa fever Treatment Market
- Rise in number of patients affected with Lassa fever and its increasing prevalence and gradual rise in the percentage mortality caused by Lassa fever are key factors that drive the market. According to WHO, the overall rate of fatality is 1% and observed fatality rate of patients hospitalized with severe cases of Lassa fever is 15%. Late stages of Lassa fever are more fatal than the initial stages.
- Technological advancements such as multidisciplinary research and development activities being carried out consistently for the development of a novel drug, recent modifications in immunodiagnostics kits to enhance the efficacy of current treatment options, and increasing public awareness about Lassa fever are also major factors that are projected to boost the Lassa fever market during the forecast period.
- However lack of skilled professionals and manpower involved for the treatment of Lassa fever, unavailability of healthcare infrastructure in several regions due to unorganized sales and distribution, and the difficulty to diagnose patients based on starting initial infection symptoms and clinical presentations are likely to hamper the Lassa fever treatment market during the forecast period.
Ribavirin tablets segment to dominate the global Lassa fever treatment market
- Based on dosage form, the global Lassa fever treatment market can be divided into Ribavirin tablets, Ribavirin inhalation solution, and Ribavirin oral solution
- The Ribavirin tablets segment dominated the global market in 2019. It is projected to maintain its position during the forecast period due to the ease in manufacturing and handling of tablets, increased flexibility and compatibility, increased water solubility and easy absorption by the body. The process involved in the manufacturing and handling of tablets is quite easy as compared to inhalers and oral solutions. Tablets are highly soluble than capsules, which cause them to act in a better way in absorption and assimilation by the body. Increased flexibility of tablets means that these can be taken with or without food. These factors, cumulatively, drive the segment.
Antiviral treatment segment to hold prominent share of global Lassa fever treatment market
- Based on type of treatment, the global Lassa fever treatment market can be classified into antiviral treatment, supportive care, and others
- The antiviral treatment segment is estimated to hold a prominent share of the global market, in terms of revenue, due to an increase in the number of Lassa fever cases and its prevalence globally
Hospital pharmacies segment to expand significantly
- Based on distribution channel, the global Lassa fever treatment market can be split into hospital pharmacy, retail pharmacies, and e-commerce pharmacies
- The hospital pharmacies segment is projected to expand at a higher growth due to prescribed and sometimes free consultation from doctor, proper examination done at hospitals, and easy availability of medicines from hospital pharmacies as compared to that from retail pharmacies.
North America is estimated to dominate the Global Lassa fever treatment market
- In terms of region, the global high Lassa fever treatment market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Middle East & Africa is projected to hold a major share of the global Lassa fever treatment market, in terms of revenue, due to an increase in the number of Lassa fever cases and a large affected and diseased patient pool present in Middle East & Africa. Furthermore, rise in disease prevalence in emerging countries is expected to propel the Lassa fever treatment market.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Market
The global Lassa fever treatment market was highly fragmented in 2019. Key manufacturers operating in the global market are:
- Zydus Pharmaceuticals
- Valeant Pharmaceuticals international
- F. Hoffmann La Roche AG
- Sandoz Inc. (Novartis AG)
- Teva Pharmaceuticals
- Three Rivers Pharmaceuticals LLC
- Schering-Plough Research Institute
Global Lassa fever treatment market: Research Scope
Global Lassa fever treatment market, by Dosage Form
- Ribavirin Tablets
- Ribavirin Inhalation solution
- Ribavirin Oral solution
Global Lassa fever treatment market, by Treatment Type
- Supportive care
Global Lassa fever treatment market, by Distribution Channel
- Hospital Pharmacy
- Retail Pharmacies
- E-commerce Pharmacies
Global Lassa fever treatment market, by End User
- Specialty Clinics
Global Lassa fever treatment market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.