Labeling is gaining prominence in the overall marketing strategy of players operating across industry verticals. And, this leads to higher demand for label papers, pushing the global label papers market onto a steady growth trajectory over the forecast period of 2018 to 2026.
It is quite pertinent to note here that multiple factors are at play, charting the upward facing growth of the global label paper market. These include notable technology advancement, bringing higher level of sophistication, flexibility in usage, and so on.
It is important to note that market landscape is fragmented and the competition is good news for the global label papers market, every step of the way.
Some of the most significant developments that are marking the global label papers market landscape, shaping competitive landscape and driving the market onto further growth include the following:
- Consumer focus is shifting towards personalization in terms of packaging. More and more people are asking for packaging that is in sync with their unique personality. And, thus, the forecast period is ready to be marked by a clamor from manufacturers across varied industries such as food and beverages and cosmetics to ensure attractiveness is incorporated in packaging. This move will be significant to gain attention of the millennial consumer who is increasingly getting difficult to lure, credit his tiny attention span and the ever growing urge to stand out.
- Lewis Label Products Corporation was acquired by Fortis Solutions Group in the July of 2018.The acquisition has improved the market share of Fortis, improving the standing in the global label papers market. Besides, it has led to a more diverse product portfolio for the acquirer. The move has intensified pressure for other players in the market playfield. This, again, will lead players to act aggressively, propelling growth in the global label papers market.
Label Papers Market: An Overview
Labeling is a relatively economical process, however, it provides multiple functionalities to the package. It enables the manufacturer to put branding and product information as well as make the product stand out among other products. Labels are used for transporting information to customers as well as to help secure and trace packages during transit. Labels can be printed on papers as well as films depending upon the specific needs of the end user. Papers are used for printing labels as they are cost-effective and provide versatile finishing options such as matte, gloss, textured, and more.
Label Papers Market: Dynamics
The growth of the market can be attributed to the shifting preferences of brand owners and their increased focus on consumer convenience as well as the need for reducing packaging waste. This is expected to drive the demand for label papers. Increase in the consumption of packaged food and the growing presence of retail chains in developed as well as emerging economies is further fuelling the demand for label papers. Moreover, the steady demand for security labels in food packaging and pharmaceutical packaging has translated into the demand for label papers. The demand for label papers is also being driven by the relatively low cost with which labeling can be replaced or changed, coupled with a continuing need for security features for packaging solutions.
However, labels printed on label papers absorb water and become saturated. This results in the ripping or wrinkling of the label. Hence, manufacturers prefer film face stocks for applications where the package is likely to be exposed to water. This is likely to hamper the growth of the label papers market during the forecast period.
Manufacturers operating in the market are expanding their existing product lines and launching new products to gain a competitive edge. Examples of the same are listed below:
- In September 2018, Verso Corporation announced the launch of three new specialty label papers, namely OptiLabel™ HB, OptiPrime™ Inkjet WS and OptiLitho™ C1S. This will expand the product portfolio of the company and is expected to make it the leading producer of label papers in North America.
- In August 2017, Sappi Limited launched a new range of face stock label papers namely, Parade Face Stock C1S and Parade Face Stock Vellum. They are suitable for applications that require self-adhesion such as stickers and price tags.
Label Papers Market: Segmentation
Globally, the label papers market has been segmented on the basis of product type, coating, weight, and end use.
On the basis of product type, the global label papers market has been segmented into-
- Wet Glue Label Papers
- Face Stock Label Papers
On the basis of coating, the global label papers market has been segmented into-
- One- Side Coated
- Two- Side Coated
On the basis of weight, the global label papers market has been segmented into-
- Up to 60 gsm
- 60 gsm – 70 gsm
- 70 gsm – 90 gsm
- 90 gsm and above
On the basis of end uses, the global label papers market has been segmented into-
- Food & Beverages
- Consumer Goods
- Personal Care & Cosmetics
Label Papers Market: Regional Outlook
Geographically, the global market is segmented into seven major regions as- Western Europe, Eastern Europe, North America, Latin America, Asia-Pacific excluding Japan, Middle East & Africa, and Japan. The U.S. market is expected to witness moderate growth due to a steady demand for paper-based flexible packaging solutions in the region. About 60% of the labels are used in the packaging of food and beverages. The growing consumption of packaged food and beverages in the developing countries of Asia Pacific, such as India, China, and Indonesia, is expected to propel the overall demand for label papers in the region.
Label Papers Market: Key players
Some of the key players operating in market are Twin Rivers Paper Company; Reich Paper; Neenah, Inc.; Avery Dennison Corporation; Sappi Limited; Ahlstrom-Munksjö Oyj; Mitsubishi HiTec Paper Europe GmbH; True Green Enterprises, Inc. and Verso Corporation. Several local and unorganized players are also expected to contribute to the global label papers market during the forecast period.
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.