Petrochemical-derived products, such as glycol, have been around for a long time. Glycol has significantly high commercial value as it is used to make antifreeze formulations and polymers. However, due to issues, such as global warming, climate change and ozone depletion, many companies have begun to look closely into the potential for a greener alternative and green glycol has provided them with a solution. Green glycol is a cost-effective biomass-derived chemical which works same as conventional glycols. Green glycols are now being prepared on a large commercial scale by several companies to cater to the increasing demand for natural products. The efficient and economical advantages of green glycols have made a significant impact on the business of bio-based green glycols. Bigger companies, such as Archer Daniels Midland, have now begun to look beyond the processing of green glycols, they have started looking for downstream value options that derivatives might offer. All these reasons combined are anticipated to boost the growth of green glycols over the forecast period.
Reasons for Covering this Title
For the past few centuries, glycol manufacturing and supply has been influenced by natural gas and petroleum oil. However, the demand for cost-effective and fossil-free green glycols has increased over the years owing to the rising cost of conventional glycol, environment degradation and the need for better-performing glycols. Green glycols offer identical or better performance than petroleum-based materials. They also emit far fewer greenhouse gases and thus, are helping the industry successfully address emission concerns. This is a key factor boosting the demand for green glycols across industries.
- In the year 2007, Archer Daniels Midland began to investigate a bio-derivative -- "green" glycol -- produced using biodiesel's co-product glycerine as a feedstock and today the company is producing 100,000 tons of these glycols in its manufacturing plant situated at Decatur, Illinois
- In 2016, S2G Biochemicals Inc. started large-scale production of bio green glycols to replace chemicals used in PET/PEF containers, resins and cosmetics, among others
Global Green glycol: Market Segmentation
On the basis of source, the market has been segmented as –
On the basis of type, the global market has been segmented as –
- Epichlorohydrin Glycol
- Propylene Glycol
On the basis of end use, the global market has been segmented as –
- Cosmetics Industry
- Food & Beverage Industry
- Pharmaceutical Industry
- Detergent and Household
- Textile Industry
- Chemical Industry
Global Green Glycol Market: Key Players
Some of the key players operating in this market are E. I. du Pont de Nemours and Company, BP p.l.c., S2G BioChemicals Inc., Archer Daniels Midland, Global Bio-chem, Ashland, BASF SE, Cargill Inc., Diester Industrie S.A.S., Air Liquide S.A., Orison Marketing, Hawkins Inc. and India Glycols Limited, among others.
The presence of several large and small-scale vendors in the green glycol market makes it a highly competitive market. The large players in the market are forming strategic alliances with small vendors to enhance their business in the green glycol market through technological innovations and product applications.
Opportunities for Market Participants
Consumers’ inclining interest towards green construction is one of the latest trends expected to give a push to the green glycol market over the forecast period. Green glycols are used for the production of paints, pipes, electrical components and wall coatings, which are widely used in the construction industry. Companies entering in this market must focus on the rising demand from end use industries. As the construction business is booming, companies operating in the green glycol market must focus on accomplishing mergers with major construction appliance companies enhance their sales. The growth of end-user industries, such as transportation, marine and construction, will create excellent opportunities for the participants operating in the global market.
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland and Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia, and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, and North Africa)
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.