Food Grade Inks Market: Overview
- Printing inks used for food packaging are known as food grade inks. These inks are manufactured by using colorants, solvents, and additives.
- Food grade inks need to be safe for human consumption after direct food contact. These inks need to comply with food safety standards. Food grade inks are selected based on various factors such as organoleptic properties as well as migration of materials.
- Food grade inks are manufactured in accordance with the legal requirements of a country. Various factors are considered during the manufacturing of food grade inks. These include food storage conditions, content of packed food, and use of the food.
Rise in Demand for Food Grade Inks in Automotive Industry
- Evolving technologies and changing regulations for food packaging are driving the global food grade inks market
- Increase in demand for food safety and changing consumer preference for packaged food have boosted the consumption of food packaging. This is propelling the demand for food grade inks.
- Enactment of regulatory policies for food packages and chemical contamination caused by inks are key restraints of the global food grade inks market
- Food ingredients interact with packaging and printing inks during handling, storage, and cooking. Appropriate usage of food grade inks is important to minimize the risk of contamination. Food grade inks must be examined and tested for every food product, as every food and food packaging is different.
- There are no ‘FDA approved inks’ available in the market. However, a list of food-grade chemicals used for inks that are employed for food packaging is available.
Solvent-based Product Type Segment to Offer Lucrative Opportunities
- Based on product type, the global food grade inks market can be segmented into water-based, solvent-based, sublimation, UV, and others
- Solvent-based is estimated to be a rapidly growing segment of the global food grade inks market during the forecast period
- The efficiency of food grade inks is tasted by examining organoleptic properties and migration. Organoleptic properties denote the sensitivity of human senses to taste and appearance of food products.
Inkjet Inks Printing Type Segment Holds Major Share of Market
- Based on printing type, the market can be divided into inkjet inks, sheethed litho printing, gravure printing, flexo printing, screen printing, letterpress printing, and others
- The inkjet inks segment holds major share of the global food grade inks market. It is followed by the gravure printing segment. Food grade inks are gradually used in printing of food packaging to ensure food safety.
Asia Pacific Region to Offer Lucrative Opportunities
- In terms of region, the global food grade inks market can be split into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America holds key share of the global food grade inks market. Asia Pacific is anticipated to offer lucrative opportunities to the global food grade inks market during the forecast period. Growth in the food & beverages industry, led by rise in demand for packaged food products in Asia Pacific, is anticipated to drive the food grade inks market in the region.
- Europe also holds vital share of the global food grade inks market due to the presence of a well-established packaged food industry in the region. Rise in demand for direct packaging is further boosting the demand for food grade inks in Europe.
- The food grade inks market in Latin America and Middle East & Africa is anticipated to expand at a steady pace during the forecast period
Key Players in Food Grade Inks Market
The global food grade inks market was highly fragmented in 2019. Prominent players operating in the global food grade inks market seek to enter into partnerships for the development of innovative products.
Key players operating in the food grade inks market include:
- Mylan Group
- Independent Ink
- Digital Ink Technologies
- Needham Inks Limited
- Indian Inks
Global Food Grade Inks Market: Research Scope
Global Food Grade Inks Market, by Product Type
Global Food Grade Inks Market, by Printing Type
- Inkjet Printing
- Sheethed litho Printing
- Gravure Printing
- Flexo Printing
- Screen Printing
- Letterpress Printing
- Others (Web Offset Printing, etc.)
Global Food Grade Inks Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!