Dielectric Capacitors: Introduction
- Capacitors that are made of dielectric materials are known as dielectric capacitors
- The dielectric material is placed between the plates of a capacitor and it acts as a non-conducting partner of electric current, due to absence of free electrons, unlike metals
- In capacitors, various types of dielectric materials are used. These include aluminum oxide, tantalum pentoxide, plastic films, and several types of ceramics.
- Dielectric capacitors are manufactured from ceramic, plastic, or glass and depending on requirement of the application, the dielectric material is selected
- Dielectric materials are used in capacitors to increase the effective capacitance by reducing the electric field strength
- Dielectric capacitors are used in applications such as automotive electronics, smartphones, networking devices, and high-frequency oscillating circuits
Rise in Demand for Dielectric Capacitors in Automotive Sector
- The automotive industry has emerged as an attractive sector for investments for organizations across the globe. In automobiles, use of dielectric capacitors is helpful at high temperatures, owing to their low loss and stable capacitance. Owing to this, several manufacturers of multiple-layered ceramic capacitors are focusing on providing products with an X8R or an X8L dielectric material.
- New features and functionalities in automobiles such as autonomous vehicle technologies, advanced driver-assistance systems (ADASs), vehicle-to-vehicle (V2V) communications, and other safety systems are driving the demand for electronic components. For instance, tantalum polymer capacitors, a type of dielectric capacitors, are largely used in automotive applications, owing to their low equivalent series resistance and high temperature range. These capacitors offer stable performance for up to 2,000 hours at 125°C.
- Additionally, other types of tantalum capacitors are suitable for harsh environments. They offer reliable performance at high temperatures in automotive applications.
- As a result of these advantages, the demand for dielectric capacitors for use in automotive applications is increasing. This factor is expected to drive the global dielectric capacitors market during the forecast period.
Smartphone Segment to Witness Lucrative Opportunities
- Based on application, the global dielectric capacitors market can be segmented into automotive electronics, smartphones, networking devices, and high-frequency oscillating circuits
- In consumer electronics, smartphones are increasingly adopted by end-users, due to their multipurpose use. In smartphones, multi-layered ceramic capacitors are largely used, as they form an integral part of displays of smartphones.
- Additionally, use of dielectric capacitors in smartphones is beneficial, as they are lightweight, small in size, and cost efficient. These are highly important factors considered in consumer electronics devices. Thus, increase in use of smartphones is expected to offer lucrative opportunities to the global dielectric capacitors market during the forecast period.
- However, dielectric capacitors are highly prone to physical damage such as getting cracked. This is expected to hinder the global dielectric capacitors market during the forecast period.
North America to Lead Global Dielectric Capacitors Market
- In terms of region, the global dielectric capacitors market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, South America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America is anticipated to dominate the global dielectric capacitors market throughout the forecast period, as multiple manufacturers of dielectric capacitors operate in North America and they are constantly investing in the field of electronic components
- The dielectric capacitors market in Europe and Asia Pacific is expected to expand at a substantial rate during the forecast period. On the other hand, the market in Middle East & Africa and South America is estimated to expand at a moderate rate during the forecast period.
Key Players Operating in Global Dielectric Capacitors Market
The global dielectric capacitors market was highly fragmented in 2018. Major players operating in the global market are focusing on technological advancements and expansions to meet the risen demand for dielectric capacitors. Moreover, manufacturers are entering into partnerships for the development of innovative products.
Key players operating in the global dielectric capacitors market are:
- American Technical Ceramics Corp.
- AVX Corporation
- CAPCOMP GmbH
- Okaya Electric America
- Panasonic Corporation
- ROHM CO., LTD.
- Rubycon Corporation
- TDK Corporation
- Vishay Intertechnology
- Walsin Technology Corporation
- YAGEO Corp
Global Dielectric Capacitors Market: Research Scope
Global Dielectric Capacitors Market, by Type
- Aluminum Oxide
- Several Ceramics
- Tantalum Pentoxide
- Plastic Films
Global Dielectric Capacitors Market, by Application
- Automotive Electronics
- Networking Devices
- High-frequency Oscillating Circuits
Global Dielectric Capacitors Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- South America
- Rest of South America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa