Multi-chamber blister pharmaceutical: Introduction & Significance
Multi-chamber blister pharmaceutical system are pharmceutical blisters which enable moisture sensitive products such as drugs, vaccines, diagnostic reactants, and other moisture-sensitive active ingedients to be stored in the same package safely, before being mixed and dispensed. The same allows accurate drug delivery at point of use. Multi-chamber blister pharmaceutical systems provide immense opportunities for the growth of the blister packaging market. One of the key design changes incorporated in multi-chamber blister pharmaceutical systems enables them to allow the same blister chamber to be filled with dry powder along with the active ingredient in one chamber, and liquid in the other. This enables easy mixing of both the components by virtue of a peelable and frangible seal which opens a channel between the two chambers. The significance of multi-chamber blister pharmaceuticallies in its ability to eliminate the existing risk of damage to sensitive dry medicines, by exposue to various elements such as light, heat, and moisture. Since multi-chamber blister pharmaceuticaloffers a safe and sterile means to deliver an API (Active Pharmaceutcial Ingredient) into the liquid solution in nearly every environment, the potential for expansion in terms of applications are immense for the product. Given below, is a representation of the research methodology used to arrive at the market numbers
The sources which have been used to validate the estimated market size include annual reports of key market players, industry journals & magazines, research papers, and other relevant data available in the public domain. Primary sources referred include focused discussions with C level executives, distributors, independent consultants, and key industry experts, among others.
Global multi-chamber blister pharmaceutical market: Segmentation
The global multi-chamber blister pharmaceutical market has been segmented as follows –
On the basis of material, the global multi-chamber blister pharmaceutical market has been segmented as follows –
- Polyamide (PA)
- Polyethylene (PE)
*Pricing for the multi-chamber blister pharmaceutical market has been tracked on the basis of material
The multi-chamber blister pharmaceutical incorporates Amcor’s SafeMix cold form laminate, which enables enhanced protection of sensitive APIs.
Global multi-chamber blister pharmaceutical market: Key Players
Presently, the only player in the multi-chamber blister pharmaceutical is Amcor Limited. The product was developed jointly by Amcor Flexibles, and the machine manufacturer, Rohrer AG.
Key developments & Trends
In April 2017, multi-chamber blister pharmaceutical gained widespread attention after the European Aluminium Foil Association (EAFA) awarded Amcor’s dual-chamber Frangible Formpack Blister with the Alufoil trophy for technical innovation
- The new multi-chamber blister enhances stability of the drug, and optimizes the supply chain by eliminating the requirement for glass containers and controlled temperatures for storage. Furthermore, the multi-chamber pharmaceutical blister system can also be used for ‘point-of-care’ diagnostic testing in places which lack the necessary resources to set up a complex laboratory facility.
- The incident is expected to significantly boost the growth of the global multi-chamber blister pharmaceutical system, as more and more companies follow in the footsteps of Amcor. The need for novel ways to transport vaccines and sensitive APIs to remote locations is anticipated to increase preference for multi-chamber blister pharmaceutical system, in the coming years.
- The introduction of multi-chamber blister pharmaceutical is also expected to give the pharmaceutical packaging machinery market a new direction. Rohrer AG, a packaging machinery maker which closely worked with Amcor to make the multi-chamber blister pharmaceutical possibility, was able to successfully master the blister sealing process to achieve frangible and light weight seals.
- The company also used a cost-efficient in-line sterilization process exclusively for the purpose of manufacturing multi-chamber blister pharmaceutical system. This was important as APIs cannot survive sterilization process at a later stage.
The road ahead
Multi-chamber blister pharmaceutical system is a relatively new product in the pharmaceutical packaging market, with the Amcor Group and Rohrer AG as the pioneers. Over the years, packaging has witnessed robust growth in terms of evolution to meet the changing needs. As cold chain operators globalize, some drugs may need up to 72 hours of packaging. However, one of the hurdles that most manufacturers want to steer clear of, is the cost. The more insulated the package, the higher is the cost. Therefore, as multi-chamber blister pharmaceutical becomes more mainstream, a large scale shift is anticipated from conventional insulated packages. Exhibit 2 highlights 5 key factors which are anticipated to drive growth of the global multi-chamber blister pharmaceutical market, during the forecast period.
The benefits associated with multi-chamber blister pharmaceutical systems in terms of utility in sterile applications is expected to attract more market players to innovate on a similar scale. Furthermore, the recognition gained by receiving the Alufoil trophy from the European Aluminium Foil Association, is expected to ensure a positive outlook for the growth in sales of multi-chamber blister pharmaceutical systems.
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland and Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia, and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, and North Africa)
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.