The disposable straw market is estimated to grow at a faster pace across the forecast period of 2019-2027. The increasing consumption of beverages and various types of drinks will enlarge the growth prospects of the disposable straw market to a substantial extent. The expanding popularity of fast food chains and restaurants will also bring tremendous growth opportunities for the disposable straw market.
- Single-use plastic straws are being banned across various regions and hence, the manufacturers in the disposable straw market are introducing eco-friendly straws that decompose easily and impact the environment minimally. Eco-friendly straws will invite immense growth prospects for the disposable straw market.
- The properties of disposable straws such as mechanical resistance and high wet strength will prove to be growth generators for the disposable straw market. Manufacturers in the disposable straw market are investing in research and development activities for introducing sustainable straws. These activities help in boosting the revenues of the players in the disposable straw market, eventually increasing the growth rate.
- Manufacturers in the disposable straw market focus on forming partnerships with food chains and restaurants for increasing their revenues. These partnerships help in expanding their presence across various regions. Furthermore, sound advertising strategies also help in the overall development of the disposable straw market.
Disposable Straw Market - Introduction
Disposable straws are becoming popular globally. They are bio-degradable in nature and get easily mixed with soil Thus, these type of straws protect the environment. Furthermore, they help protect the enamel of human teeth.
Millions of plastic straws and other kinds of straws are used worldwide every day. Replacing them with disposable straws can help in reducing the amount of plastic in the environment dramatically.
Disposable Straw Market: Competitive Landscape
The concept of disposable straws is quite new in the industry owing to harmful impacts of plastics in marine life. The market for disposable straw is slightly concentrated with the presence of few global players coupled with many regional startups. These players are concentrated in the North American and European regions. Some of the key players active in the disposable straw market are mentioned below.
Huhtamaki Group is a New Zealand based company specialized in consumer and food service packaging services. The company also manufactures paper and plastic cups and straws. It has a strong presence in 34 countries with 74 manufacturing locations worldwide.
Aardvark Straws is a U.S. based company specialized in manufacturing of paper straws. The company patented its paper straws in 1888 which was later re-introduced in 2007 in response to the rise in the anti plastic movement. In 2018, the company was purchased by Hoffmaster Group Inc., specialized in manufacturing of food and beverage industry. Products of the company are sold in the U.S. through a network of retailers and distributors.
Find out more about our latest report on disposable straw market with exclusive Report brochure here
Tetra Pak International S.A.
Established in 1951, Tetra Pak International S.A. specializes in providing processing and packaging solutions for food. Tetra Pak is one of the three companies in Tetra Laval Group. The company provides U & Z shaped straws, telescopic straws, straight straws, and sensory straws.
Bamboo Straws Worldwide
Established in the year 2014, Bamboo Straws Worldwide manufactures reusable bio-degradable bamboo straws. The company primarily specializes in manufacture of 100% bamboo products. As of 2019, the company has shipped its products to more than three countries worldwide.
Biopac (UK) Ltd
Biopac (UK) Ltd is one of the key manufacturers and suppliers of eco-friendly food packaging and catering disposables in the U.K. The company provides paper straws and PLA straws. Its core customers include caterers, restaurants, delis, cafés, takeaways, and coffee shops.
Apart from these key players, some other players associated with the manufacturing of disposables are Stone Straw Limited, Guangzhou Guanlin Paper Products, Merrypak, and EcoPack.
Disposable Straw Market: Dynamics
Disposable straw market to expand owing to environmental concerns associated with plastic straws
Market for disposable straws is anticipated to increase rapidly owing to the rise in concerns about the harmful impact of plastic straws on the environment. As most of the plastic straws are non-biodegradable, they do not disintegrate. This affects the marine life to a great extent. According to the United Nations, each year more than 8 million tons of plastic waste are dumped in the oceans. Major rivers around the world carry 2 to 3 million tons of plastics into the sea every year. Thus increasing environmental concerns owing to harmful impacts of plastic straws is anticipated to boost the demand for disposable straws.
Growth in food service industry drives the demand for disposables
Food service industry is a significant consumer of disposable paper plates and straws. With increase in number of food outlets, the disposable straw market is anticipated to expand during the forecast period. Paradigm shift in consumption patterns of food and services has led many fast food companies and online food delivery services to proliferate. Many prominent players in the industry have opted for removal of plastic straws due to the increase in awareness about banning plastic from the food industry. They have replaced plastic straws with disposable straws. For example, food giants in the U.K. such as McDonalds, All Bar One, Marriott International, London City Airport as well as Coffee Chains and supermarkets have replaced plastic straws with eco-friendly straws.
High cost of disposables restrains disposable straw market
Most of the disposable straws are expensive in nature. This is due to the cost associated with its manufacturing. Affordability of the straw becomes a great concern for many small and medium sized enterprises which is likely to restrain the disposable straw market.
Looking for exclusive market insights on disposable straw market? Request a Custom Report here
Disposable Straw Market: Segmentation
On the basis of product type, the disposable straw market can be divided into:
- Paper Straw
- Bamboo Straw
- Hay Straw
- Glass Straw
- Others (Bio-degradable Plastic Straws, Edible Straws, and Papaya Leaf Straws)
In terms of application, the disposable straw market can be classified into:
- Restaurants and Motels
- Bars and Lounges
- Others (Schools and Public Canteens)
In terms of distribution channel, the disposable straw market can be classified into:
- Company Owned Portals
- E-commerce Websites
- Supermarkets & Hypermarkets
- Other Retail Based Stores
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.