Flip-chip VCSEL: Introduction
- The vertical cavity surface emitting laser (VCSEL) is a light source that can be used in sensing/imaging systems due to its excellent beam quality, low threshold, low-energy consumption, low-cost, compact size, and high reliability
- The VCSEL offers maximum operating power, which is not limited by catastrophic optical damage of the exit aperture due to its large aperture size, and its PN junction does not intersect the surface in the region of high optical intensity
- The flip-chip technology can lower the cost of sensor module and requires less area, as it eliminates the need for wire bonding by making the device thinner
- The flip-chip VCSEL offers greater heat dissipation, which improves the optoelectronic characteristics and response speed of the device
Rising Demand for Flip-chip VCSEL Globally
- The vertical cavity surface emitting laser (VCSEL) is packaged by flip-chip technology and used in automotive long-range LiDAR systems for low power mobile and in-cabin 3D sensing applications, optical communication systems, etc.
- The flip-chip VCSEL is widely implemented in 3D sensing of smartphones, wearables, and tablets. The flip-chip VCSEL is primarily deployed in 3D-sensing technology for sensing depth and augmenting camera capabilities including facial and object recognition.
- The automotive sector is driving the flip-chip VCSEL market due to increased demand for flip-chip VCSEL in-cabin sensing, driver fatigue detection, and gesture recognition for in-car navigation and infotainment systems
- The flip-chip VCSEL is required in data centers as an optical transceiver for high-speed data transmission, as it offers high reliability and low power consumption as well as performs data analytics to improve decision-making capabilities
North America to Lead Global Flip-chip VCSEL Market
- North America is anticipated to lead the global flip-chip VCSEL market during the forecast period due to large adoption of advanced data-storage technologies, large presence of data centers, and consumer electronics vendors, such as Apple Inc., which requires flip-chip VCSEL technology for their 3D-sensing applications
- The presence of major flip-chip VCSEL market players, including Broadcom and Lumentum company, further boosts the flip-chip VCSEL market in North America
- The flip-chip VCSEL market in Asia Pacific is projected to expand at a rapid pace owing to an increase in demand for medium to high range smartphones with features such as gesture and facial recognition. Investment of prominent China-based mobile companies such as Oppo, Vivo, Xiaomi, which require flip-chip VCSEL for advanced proximity sensing features, is also boosting the flip-chip VCSEL market in Asia Pacific.
Key Players Operating in Global Flip-chip VCSEL Market
- Lucent Technologies, Inc.
- Princeton Optronics Inc.
- Accelink Technologies
- Huaxin Semiconductor Technology Co Ltd.
- Finisar Corporation
- TriLumina Corporation
Global Flip-chip VCSEL Market: Research Scope
Global Flip-chip VCSEL Market, by Type
Global Flip-chip VCSEL Market, by Application
- Power Electronics
- Face Recognition
- 3D Sensing
- Optical Fiber Communication
Global Flip-chip VCSEL Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- South America
- Rest of South America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa