Commuter Train Services Market: Introduction
- Commuter trains are rail transportation systems for passengers within limits of a metropolitan city or to other smaller suburbs. Commuter rail service is the backbone of the local public transportation system in numerous countries around the world and accounts for more than 80% of total railway passenger volume.
- Commuter trains are built to main line train standards and generally share the same tracks with the main line trains, which reduces the total cost of infrastructure
Key Drivers of Commuter Train Services Market
- Rise in number of on-road vehicles is a major reason for the rise in environmental pollution across the globe. Tailpipe emissions such as carbon dioxide, nitrogen oxides, hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide, and sulfur dioxide cause respiratory illnesses, heart conditions, and mental illness, which results in increased healthcare burden. Moreover, a rise in the number of on-road vehicles increases the number of accidents. In February 2020, the World Health Organization stated that 1.35 million people die in road traffic accidents globally every year. Ill-effects of the high number of on-road vehicles are fueling the demand for efficient public transportation services. Commuter train systems offer a viable solution for transporting large groups of people in faster and environment-friendly manner. Thus, a rise in the number of vehicles is boosting the commuter train services market across the globe.
- People from rural areas are migrating to cities in search of employment opportunity, education, and better lifestyle; hence, urbanization is rising across multiple continents. In May 2018, The United Nations stated in a press release that 55% of the global population resided in urban areas, which is anticipated to reach 68% by 2050. These new urban residents create requirement for inexpensive means of transportation, as compared to privately owned vehicles, thus fueling the demand for commuter train services. Thus, expansion of cities and a rise in the number of urban dwellers are propelling the global commuter train services market.
Challenges in Commuter Train Services Market
- The high cost of equipment of commuter trains leads to lesser number of operational units, which lowers the frequency of trains per route and results in delays. Consequently, people opt for alternative transportation or private vehicles, which restrains the commuter train services market
Impact of COVID-19 pandemic on Commuter Train Services Market
- Amidst the recent outbreak of COVID-19 pandemic, public transportation systems were shut to contain the spread of virus. This negatively impacted the commuter train services market.
Commuter Train Services Market in Asia Pacific to Expand Significantly in Near Future
- Commuter train services have been successfully established in countries in Asia Pacific such as Japan, India, and China. Trains are a cost-effective means of transportation, which makes it highly preferred in developing and underdeveloped nations of the region. Furthermore, governments of various countries across Asia Pacific are increasingly investing in the commuter train services market to reduce pollution levels and to provide transportation to an increasing number of daily commuters. These factors are propelling the share held by Asia Pacific in the global commuter train services market.
Key Players Operating in Commuter Train Services Market
The global commuter train services market is highly concentrated due to the presence of top manufacturers. A few of the key players operating in the global commuter train services market are:
- EKE-Electronics Ltd
- Herzog Transit Services, Inc.
- Keolis Commuter Services
- RailWorks Corporation
- Siemens Mobility
- SNC-Lavalin Group
- Sotetsu Holdings, Inc.
Global Commuter Train Services Market: Research Scope
Global Commuter Train Services Market, by Propulsion
Global Commuter Train Services Market, by Track Gauge
- Narrow Gauge
- Standard Gauge
- Broad Gauge
Global Commuter Train Services Market, by Service Type
- Rail Manufacturing
- Infrastructure Construction
- Operation & Management
Global Commuter Train Services Market, by Region
- North America
- Nordic Region
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.