Sodium Sesquicarbonate: Introduction
- Sodium sesquicarbonate [Na3H(CO3)2], also known as trisodium hydrogendicarbonate, is a double salt of sodium bicarbonate and sodium carbonate. It has a needle-like crystal structure. The term sodium sesquicarbonate is also applied to an equimolar mixture of sodium bicarbonate and sodium carbonate salts that include undefined water of hydration sodium carbonate, supplied as a powder. The dihydrate, Na3H(CO3)2 · 2H2O, occurs in nature as the evaporite mineral trona.
- Sodium sesquicarbonate is sold as borax substitute in the European Union (EU) due to concerns about the toxicity of borax, which was withdrawn as a cleaning and laundry product. It is also known as one of the E number food additives E500. Sodium sesquicarbonate is used in bath salts and swimming pools. It is used as an alkalinity source for water treatment and as phosphate-free product replacing the trisodium phosphate for heavy duty cleaning. Sodium sesquicarbonate is employed to control the acid-base balance of cosmetic products. In cosmetics and personal care products, sodium sesquicarbonate may also be used as an abrasive, a deodorant agent, and an oral care agent.
- Sodium sesquicarbonate is typically used in the conservation of copper and copper alloy artifacts that corrode due to contact with salt (called "bronze disease" due to its effect on bronze). In a self-sustaining reaction, chloride salt reacts with copper that leads to the destruction of the object. Treatment with sodium sesquicarbonate removes copper (II) chlorides from the corroded layer. Sodium sesquicarbonate is also used as a precipitating water softener, which combines with hard water minerals (calcium- and magnesium-based minerals) to form an insoluble precipitate, removing these hardness minerals from the water.
- Sodium sesquicarbonate is widely used in animal feed industry. In dairy, it is used as a buffer to maintain rumen pH, alleviate butterfat depression due to low fiber diets, and aid fiber digestibility. Sodium sesquicarbonate is used in poultry as a sodium source to maintain electrolyte balance, improve heat stress tolerance, and dry litter. Furthermore, it is used to improve eggshell quality, particularly in older hens.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Sodium Sesquicarbonate Market
- Rise in demand for sodium sesquicarbonate in the global market can be ascribed to the intrinsic benefits from the usage of sodium sesquicarbonate. Changing lifestyle of people and urbanization in developed as well as developing countries have been driving the demand for cosmetic and personal care products. Sodium sesquicarbonate is employed significantly in the formulation of cosmetic and personal care products such as bath, skin, and hair care products. Increase in demand for sodium sesquicarbonate in the cosmetics & personal care sector is expected to boost the global sodium sesquicarbonate market during the forecast period.
- Sodium sesquicarbonate is ideal as a cattle foodstuff additive, as it acts as a ruminant buffer. This, in turn, increases milk production in terms of quantity and quality. Thus, rise in demand for sodium sesquicarbonate in the animal feed industry is estimated to propel the global sodium sesquicarbonate market in the next few years.
Sodium Sesquicarbonate: Application Segment
- In terms of application, the global sodium sesquicarbonate market can be divided into laundry powders & stain removers; degreasers, sugar soap, and surface cleaners; cosmetics & personal care products, animal feed, and others
- The cosmetics & personal care products segment is expected to account for significant share of the global market during the forecast period. It is anticipated to be followed by the animal feed segment.
- The laundry powders & stain removers segment is likely to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period
Covid-19 Impact on Sodium Sesquicarbonate Market
- On January 30, 2020, the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee of the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak a public health emergency of international concern. Originating in China, the virus has spread to at least 213 countries and territories around the world.
- Several governments and private sector businesses across the globe are operating in a limited capacity. Manufacture of various consumer goods and other products across the globe came to a halt due to the unavailability of raw materials, shortage of labor, etc. Supply shortage has also resulted in an increase in prices of raw materials. Affected downstream supply chain might take longer to recover. The industrial shutdown has adversely impacted product and inventory transportation, as logistic services have been hampered due to the COVID-19 outbreak. This is expected to hamper the sodium sesquicarbonate market.
Asia Pacific to Dominate Sodium Sesquicarbonate Market
- In terms of region, the global sodium sesquicarbonate market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America held significant share of the global sodium sesquicarbonate market in 2019. It is anticipated to remain a key region of the global market during the forecast period. This can be ascribed to the rise in demand for sodium sesquicarbonate in the manufacture of various chemical intermediaries. Europe is also predicted to be one of the key regions of the global sodium sesquicarbonate market.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Sodium Sesquicarbonate Market
The global sodium sesquicarbonate market was highly fragmented in 2019. Major players have prominent presence in developed and developing countries. Key manufacturers operating in the global sodium sesquicarbonate market include:
- East Lancashire Chemical Co Ltd
- Genesis Alkali, LLC
- Merck KGaA
- Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.
- Spectrum Chemical Manufacturing Corp.
- VWR International, LLC.
- Nithyasri Chemicals
- KIYOU JOCHUGIKU Co.,Ltd
Global Sodium Sesquicarbonate Market: Research Scope
Global Sodium Sesquicarbonate Market, by Application
- Laundry Powders & Stain Removers
- Degreasers, Sugar Soap, and Surface Cleaners
- Cosmetics & Personal Care Products
- Animal Feed
Global Sodium Sesquicarbonate Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.