Locomotive and Rail Powertrain Systems Market: Introduction
- Enactment of mandatory emission regulations coupled with emergence of innovative emission control technologies are anticipated to drive the global locomotive and rail powertrain systems market. Locomotive and rail powertrain systems are witnessing a drastic change, globally, owing to increasing impact of emission standards and changes in emission control technologies.
- Various major players engaged in the development of powertrain systems catering to locomotive and railways are emphasizing on technologies that monitor and control emission. This, in turn, has enabled the aforementioned players to become key differentiators within the industry.
Key drivers of Locomotive and Rail Powertrain Systems Market
- Regulatory authorities on the environment, such as Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and European Environment Agency (EEA), have enacted stringent regulations and standards to keep a check on diesel particulate matter and nitrogen oxide being emitted by traditional locomotives and railways. This, in turn, is compelling OEMs to re-invent technologies that potentially would lead to the introduction of newer trends in the near future.
- The availability of standards in terms of design and manufacturing of powertrain systems for locomotives and rails is expected to propel the global locomotive and rail powertrain systems market. This, in turn, is compelling OEMs to standardize their design platforms to gain prominence in the market and consequently, eliminate the need for individual designs.
- Major players in the global locomotive and rail powertrain systems market are focused on weight reduction and improvement of aerodynamics of the locomotive and rails in order to reduce the environmental impact. OEMs are anticipated to continue development of products through light weighting and improved aerodynamics for locomotives and rails, which is likely to boost operating efficiency of locomotives while meeting the requirements of all government agencies globally.
- Technological advances in terms of power electronics is expected to boost the global locomotive and rail powertrain systems market. For instance, IGBTs, i.e. Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistors, are considered to be the next-generation electronics that are being adopted in modern electric traction systems and diesel electric rail machines. IGBTs offer several benefits over their counterparts GTOs (Gate Turn Off thyristors), such as oil-free compressor design that minimizes the power consumption resulting in optimal fuel consumption. Furthermore, IGBTs are cost effective.
North America and Europe combined accounted for prominent share of global locomotive and rail powertrain systems market
- In terms of region, the global locomotive and rail powertrain systems market can be segmented into North America, Europe, Latin America, Asia Pacific, and Middle East & Africa. North America and Europe has presence of economically stable countries. These regions are also home to technologically advanced research institutes catering to the development of fuel-efficient technologies. Additionally, major players have established their technological centers and manufacturing facilities in various countries including the U.S., Germany, the U.K., and France. All the factors mentioned above contributed to the major share held by these regions in the global locomotive and rail powertrain systems market.
- However, the imposition of lockdown across the globe owing to the coronavirus pandemic is estimated to hamper the global locomotive and rail powertrain systems market in 2020
Key Players Operating in Locomotive and Rail Powertrain Systems Market
The global locomotive and rail powertrain systems market is highly concentrated owing to the presence of top manufacturers. A few key players operating in the global locomotive and rail powertrain systems market are:
- Hitachi Ltd
- CRRC Corporation Limited
- AEG Power Solutions
- Turbo Power Systems
- Alstom S.A
- Toshiba Corporation
- Siemens AG
- Valeo SA
- Cummins Inc.
Global Locomotive and Rail Powertrain Systems Market: Research Scope
Global Locomotive and Rail Powertrain Systems Market, by Technology
- IGBT Module
- GTO Thyristor
- SiC Module
Global Locomotive and Rail Powertrain Systems Market, by Power Conversion Components
- Traction motor
- Auxiliary power conversion Unit
Global Locomotive and Rail Powertrain Systems Market, by Locomotive and Rail Type
- Diesel Multiple Unit (DMU)
- Electric Multiple Unit (EMU)
Global Locomotive and Rail Powertrain Systems Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!