EV Platform Market
EV Platform Market (Component: Chassis, Battery, Suspension System, Steering System, Drivetrain, Vehicle Interior, and Others; Electric Vehicle Type: Hybrid Electric Vehicle and Battery Electric Vehicle; Sales Channel: OEM and Aftermarket; Vehicle Type: Hatchback, Sedan, Utility Vehicles, and Others; and Platform: P0, P1, P2, P3, and P4) - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2020 - 2030
- Automotive & Transport
- 203 Pages
Tightening Environment Laws and Soaring Demand for Electric Vehicles to Boost Market Growth
Due to impressive technological advancements and evolving regulatory landscape, the global automotive sector has witnessed considerable changes over the past couple of decades. At present, the current automotive sector around the world is increasingly moving toward a sustainable and a greener future, wherein OEMs and other stakeholders are compelled to invest in new technologies and innovations that comply with the evolving regulatory landscape. Over the past decade, electric vehicles have garnered considerable popularity around the world. While awareness pertaining to electric vehicles continues to grow around the world, with it, the global sales of electric vehicles continues to move in the upward trajectory– a factor that is expected to boost the growth of the global EV platform market.
The demand for electric vehicles is a leading factor expected to drive the global EV platform market during the assessment period. Companies operating in the current EV platform market are increasingly focusing on offering cost-effective and efficient EV platforms to their customers, and bridging the cost gap between electric vehicle engines and internal combustion-engines (ICEs). Several top-tier players in the market are also expected to launch innovative EV platforms over the course of the upcoming decade– a factor that is likely to aid growth of the global EV platform market during the forecast period.
At the back of these factors, the global EV platform market is anticipated to surpass the US$ 97.3 Bn mark by the end of 2030.
Request a sample to get extensive insights into the EV Platform Market
Market Players Focus on Bridging Cost Gap between ICE and Electric Engines
Although the demand for electric vehicles has witnessed consistent growth over the past few years, a handful of OEMs make substantial profit via sales of electric vehicles. The wide cost gap between electric engines and ICEs is a major factor expected to drive innovations and pave the way for cost-effective EV platform models in the near future. High cost of electric batteries is one of the key reasons why electric vehicles are priced higher than that of hybrid or vehicles that operate on ICE-vehicle architecture. As a result, several players operating in the EV platform market landscape are seeking new ways to compensate these costs by focusing on designing the EV on a scalable and a modular platform. While several OEMs are increasingly investing in the development of purpose-built EV platforms to manufacture electric vehicles, others are primarily relying on ICE-vehicle architecture for the production of electric vehicles. In their bid to make electric vehicles production profitable, market players are increasingly exploring different concepts, including simpler assembly lines.
To understand how our report can bring difference to your business strategy, Ask for a brochure
Market Players Focus on Launching New EV Platforms to Gain Competitive Edge
Witnessing the growing demand for electric vehicles and anticipating a higher penetration of electric vehicles in the future, several companies are currently inclined toward launching new EV platforms to gain a competitive edge in the current market landscape. In addition, while top tier companies are increasingly investing in the production of innovative EV platforms, several startups have entered the global EV platform market, and are forging strategic alliances with other market players to establish their presence in the highly competitive EV platform market. For instance, REE Automotive, an Israeli startup entered a partnership with Japan’s KYB Corporation to launch a cutting-edge suspension for future electric vehicle platforms. KYB Corporation is expected to offer its line of semi-active and active suspension systems for REE’s EV platform.
In addition, several leading OEMs are increasingly focusing on building dedicated EV platforms to establish a solid presence in the market. For instance, in February 2019, Hyundai announced that the company is likely to manufacture a dedicated electric vehicle platform that will primarily be used by new electric cars produced by the company.
Demand for EV Platforms Decline in 2020 amid COVID-19 Pandemic
The global automotive sector has experienced a major setback in 2020 due to the outbreak of the novel COVID-19 pandemic. The onset of the COVID-19 pandemic has moved the growth of the EV platform market into the slow lane in 2020, as the automotive sector in China was under lockdown especially in the first quarter of 2020. Due to this, the supply of raw materials and automotive components took a major hit worldwide. However, as China gradually opened up its industries, other major automotive hubs were restricting cross-border trade and transportation as a measure to curb the spread of the virus.
The EV platform market is expected to gradually gain momentum toward the last quarter of 2020, as the global demand for EVs witnesses a steady growth following the relaxation of lockdown restrictions and trade.
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report on EV Platform Market
The global EV platform market is expected to expand at a moderate CAGR of ~3.5% during the forecast period. The market growth is primarily driven by growing demand for electric vehicles, increasing government support for electric vehicles, development of cutting-edge electric vehicle technology, and tightening environment protection laws and regulations. Market players should focus on launching innovative and cost-effective electric vehicle platforms to gain a competitive edge and establish a solid foothold in the market.
EV Platform Market: Overview
- The global EV platform market is anticipated to expand at a CAGR of 3.5% during the forecast period. This is primarily due to increasingly stringent emission norms for automobiles coupled with the promotion of hybridization and electrification of vehicles in order to reduce the impact of harmful exhaust gases on the environment. Government regulations against diesel and gasoline vehicles is a major reason for the changing preference of customers toward electric vehicles and boost the demand for EV platform during the forecast period.
- Market for EVs is expanding at a significant pace and investments at the early stage is significantly high for buses, as governments in most regions are investing considerably in major cities in order to address carbon emission likely to boost the market for EV platform. EV platform for electric buses witness high demand in most economies, as electrification of public platform is likely to impact more effectively in improving air quality.
Drivers of EV Platform Market
- Previously, major brands preferred developing a single platform for four five models to restrict capital investment. However, more demand from car buyers for region specific features, styling, and performance, including element of uniqueness in car prompted OEMs to develop different platform for different models, which is likely to boost the market for EV platform during forecast period.
- Fossil fuels are finite and soon, fossil fuel reserves are likely to be exhausted. According to the current rate of consumption, an estimated 46.7 years of fuel resources remain across the globe, and 49.6 years of natural gas resources remain worldwide. Alternatives to fossil fuels are available in the market, including electric vehicle, CNG, LPG, air powered vehicle, and LNG. However, electric vehicles are being increasingly adopted, which are regularly utilized for transportation in urban and metropolitan cities and towns. This, in turn, is likely to act as a solution for the finite availability of natural resources. This is estimated to boost the market for EV platform.
- Several manufacturers, such as Tesla Inc. and Nissan, have introduced performance EVs that run on new EV platform that are quieter on the roads and provide smooth and hassle-free ride. Low maintenance cost of EVs, owing to new design in the EV platform has been an added advantage, which is likely to benefit consumers in the long-term. This, in turn, is likely to propel the EV platform market.
Challenges for EV Platform Market
- Cost of electric vehicles as compared to that of conventional ICE (internal combustion engine) vehicles is significantly high and is considered as a primary restraining factor for the electric vehicle and EV platform market
- Electric powered vehicles require charging stations, and a network of such stations located strategically is required for people to travel long distances. Moreover, recharging of batteries often takes about 1 hour, which nowhere matches efficiency of a gas refuel, which further restrains the EV platform market.
EV Platform Market Segmentation
- Based on component, the battery segment is projected to account for a major share of the EV platform market during the forecast period. OEMs focus on the production of advanced EV battery that are expected to have lower emission at relatively lower costs, which leads to more investment in R&D for the battery segment and ultimately for EV platform.
- Based on electric vehicle type, battery electric vehicle segment is expanding at a rapid pace for the EV platform market. Most OEMs are focusing on the development of battery electric vehicles on newly developed EV platforms rather than hybrid electric vehicles, as the demand for BEVs is more than that of HEVs. Moreover, considerably high capital investment and expertise is required to develop HEV as compared to that of a BEV, as a BEV does not include an ICE on EV platform and hence, is simpler to build.
- Based on vehicle type, the utility vehicles segment accounted for a significant share of the global EV platform market. Consumers in China favor compact sedans; however, the arrival of new and more appealing SUVs has shifted demand toward utility vehicles. There is a decline in sales of sedans. They are not as useful as hatchbacks or more spacious as SUVs and consumers in Asia and the U.S. prefer both spacious and useful vehicles. Reduction in demand for hatchbacks across Europe and Latin America is due to an increase in size of smaller vehicle. The larger the hatchback, the less functional and maneuverable they become.
EV Platform Market: Regional Analysis
- Based on region, the global EV platform market has been segregated into North America, Europe, East Asia, South APAC, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Consistent rise in penetration of EVs at a significant pace across several countries in East Asia and Europe is a prominent factor driving the global EV platform market, as investment in R&D in these countries is increasing. Europe is witnessing a robust increase in penetration of EVs. Subsequently, the demand for EVs is expected to rise during the forecast period, which is likely to boost the market for EV platform.
- The East Asia EV platform market is anticipated to expand significantly, followed by Europe and North America. The automotive industry in countries, including China, Japan, and South Korea is inclined toward technology, innovation, and development of advanced EVs. Development of more advanced and fast charging stations is projected to propel the EV and EV platform market. BYD, BAIC, Chery, and SAIC are key players operating in the East Asia EV market, accounts for the maximum share of the EV platform market.
EV Platform Market: Competition Landscape
- Key players operating in the global EV platform market include
- Alcraft Motor Company
- Baic Motor
- Faraday Future
- General Motors
- Kia Motors
- Nissan Motor
- Open Motors
- REE Auto
- Saic Motor
- XAOS Motors
- Some OEMs opt to produce a BEV or PHEV on an adapted ICE platform to restrict capital investment and are responsible for flexible manufacturing. Overdesigned architecture for ICE vehicles face challenges in battery packaging. For instance, VW Group intends to build EVs of all sizes using several of the same parts so that it can make its e-models profitable. The company intends to build MEB cars in eight locations, globally, by 2022. Furthermore, it predicts it would sell 15 million vehicles on the EV platform over the next decade.
EV Platform Market – Scope of the Report
Transparency Market Research’s recent report on the EV platform market, with the help of a comprehensive outlook, provides readers with an assessment of the global market landscape. This study on the EV platform market analyzes the scenario for the period of 2018 to 2030, wherein, 2019 is the base year and 2018 and before is historical data. This report enables readers to make important decisions with regard to their business, with the help of a wealth of information enclosed in the study.
This TMR study on the EV platform market also provides data on the developments made by important players and stakeholders in the market, along with a competitive analysis. The report also provides an understanding of strengths, weaknesses, threats, and opportunities, along with the trends and restraints in the landscape. Presented in a clear sanctioned manner, this report on the EV platform market gives readers an individual understanding of the market.
This study also discusses underlying trends and impact of various factors that are driving the EV platform market, along with their influence on the evolution of the market.
This study also offers Porter’s Five Point Analysis, value chain analysis, regulatory scenario, and a SWOT analysis of the EV platform market, in order to elaborate the crucial growth tactics and opportunities for market players contributing to the market.
Key Questions Answered in This Report on EV Platform Market
- How much value will the EV platform generate by the end of the forecast period?
- What will be the nature of investments in research & development in EV platform?
- Which segment of the market is likely to have the maximum market share by 2030?
- What are the impact factors and their effects on the market for EV platform?
- What regions currently contribute the maximum share to the overall EV platform market?
- What are the indicators expected to drive the EV platform market?
- Which region is likely to be a lucrative market during the forecast period?
- What are the essential strategies by key stakeholders in the EV platform market to expand their geographic presence?
- What are the major advancements witnessed in the EV platform market?
- How regulatory norms affected the market for EV platform market?
This report answers these questions and more about the EV platform market, aiding major stakeholders and key players in making the right decisions and strategizing for the advancement of their business.
EV Platform Market – Research Methodology
This TMR report on the EV platform market is based on a complete and comprehensive evaluation of the market, backed by secondary and primary sources. Market volume is determined by country wise model mapping of vehicle through internal & external proprietary databases, and relevant patent and regulatory databases. The competitive scenario of the EV platform market is supported by an assessment of the different factors that influence the market on a minute and granular level. By thoroughly analyzing the historical data, current trends and announcement by the key players, researchers of the EV platform market arrive at predictions and estimations, and calculate the forecast for the market.
This report uses an analytical triangulation method to estimate the numbers and figures of the EV platform market, with both bottom-up and top-down approach.
This detailed assessment of the EV platform market, along with an overview of the landscape is provided based on a careful examination of the avenues related to this industry. Analysts’ conclusions on how the EV platform market is estimated to expand are based on carefully vetted primary and secondary sources.
EV Platform Market – Segmentation
This report on the EV platform market provides information on the basis of component, electric vehicle type, sales channel, vehicle type, platform, and region.
Electric Vehicle Type