Dihydroxyacetone Market: Introduction
- Dihydroxyacetone is a ketotriose consisting of acetone bearing hydroxy substituents at positions 1 and 3
- It is used as metabolite, antifungal agent, human metabolite, Saccharomyces cerevisiae metabolite, Escherichia coli metabolite, and mouse metabolite
- It is primarily used as an ingredient in sunless tanning products. It is often derived from plant sources such as sugar beet and sugar cane, and by the fermentation of glycerin.
- Dihydroxyacetone reacts chemically with amino acids in the protein keratin, the major component of the skin surface. Different amino acids react to dihydroxyacetone in different ways, producing different tones of coloration from yellow to brown. The resulting pigments are called melanoidins. These are similar in coloration to melanin, the natural substance in the deeper skin layers, which browns or tans from exposure to UV rays.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Dihydroxyacetone Market
- Demand for dihydroxyacetone is expected to increase at a significant pace during the forecast period due to rise in usage of dihydroxyacetone in various industries such as cosmetics, medical, chemical, and food. Cosmetics is one of the largest application industries of dihydroxyacetone due to its properties such as self-tanning and even tone.
- High cost of dihydroxyacetone is negatively affecting the dihydroxyacetone market
Dihydroxyacetone Market: Application Segment
- Based on application, the dihydroxyacetone market can be divided into cosmetics, chemical, medical, food, and others. The cosmetics segment dominates the dihydroxyacetone market.
- Dihydroxyacetone is the main active ingredient in many sunless tanning skincare preparations. Dihydroxyacetone may be used alone or combined with other tanning components such as erythrulose. It is considered the most effective sun-free tanning additive.
- Dihydroxyacetone is formed by ketogenesis of glycerol. It can affect the sensory quality of the wine with sweet/etherish properties. It can also react with proline to produce a crust-like aroma. Dihydroxyacetone can affect the anti-microbial activity in wine, as it has the ability to bind SO2.
COVID-19 Impact on Global Dihydroxyacetone Market
- On January 30, 2020, the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee of the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak a public health emergency of international concern. Originating in China, the virus has spread to at least 214 countries and territories around the world.
- Several governments and private sector businesses are operating at a limited capacity or have ceased operations completely due to recent events surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic
- The outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic has led to disturbance in the supply chain due to the global lockdown in several countries. Also, the spread of coronavirus caused a fall in demand for chemical intermediates due to uncertainty in the global economy and capital markets. Therefore, many major dihydroxyacetone producing countries experienced significant variation in demand for dihydroxyacetone in application industries such as cosmetics, chemical, and medical due to the pandemic.
Europe to Hold Leading Share of Global Dihydroxyacetone Market
- In terms of region, the dihydroxyacetone market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Europe is expected to hold major share of the global dihydroxyacetone market, followed by North America and Asia Pacific, during the forecast period
- Sedentary lifestyle and easy availability of and growing awareness about advanced beauty products are driving the market in Europe. Consumers in the region are increasingly adopting preventive and protective measures to avoid chronic skin issues. This is boosting the demand for dihydroxyacetone.
- Europe comprises a large number of working women population. This has led to an increase in spending on beauty and personal care products (including self-tanning products). The region also hosts many global events that promote various types of skin enrichment products. This is augmenting the dihydroxyacetone market in Europe.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Dihydroxyacetone Market
The dihydroxyacetone market was consolidated in 2020. Major players have prominent presence in developed and developing countries. Key manufacturers operating in the dihydroxyacetone market include:
- Merck KGaA
- Inoue Perfumery
- BOC Sciences
- Jiangyin Healthway
- Hubei Marvel-Bio Medicine
- Changxing Pharmaceutical
- Charkit Chemical
- Santa Cruz Biotechnology
- Penta International
Dihydroxyacetone Market: Research Scope
Dihydroxyacetone Market, by Type
- More than 99%
- Less than 99%
Dihydroxyacetone Market, by Production Process
- Chemical Synthesis
- Microbial Fermentation
Dihydroxyacetone Market, by Application
Global Dihydroxyacetone Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!