Cosmetic Colorants Market: Introduction
- Cosmetic colorants are used to produce a variety of colorful range of cosmetics such as lipsticks, facial makeup, eye colors, and hair color products. Cosmetic dyes and cosmetic pigments are used in the production of cosmetic colorants.
- Organic and inorganic pigments/dyes are quite popular among cosmetic manufacturers across the globe. Organic pigments/dyes are derived from plants and are composed of carbon and other molecules. Inorganic pigments/dyes are made up of oxide, oxide hydroxide, sulfide, silicate, sulfate, or carbonate. Pigments used in the production of colorants are insoluble in water and most of the solvents, while dyes are soluble in many liquids.
- Several key manufacturers are engaged in the production of cosmetic colorants. These include BASF SE, Koel Colours Private Limited, Dystar, Spectrum Chemical Mfg. Corp, and Clariant.
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF sample of this report
Key Drivers of Cosmetic Colorants Market
- Low cost of labor in Asia vis-à-vis that in western countries is encouraging cosmetic manufacturers to procure high quality cosmetic colorants from companies in Asia at a lower price compared to that in other regions. Constant rise in GDP of developing countries such as India is also one of the key drivers that are positively impacting the sales of cosmetic colorants. Increase in purchasing power and disposable income of individuals in Asia is encouraging consumers to buy premium luxury goods such as cosmetics. This is boosting the demand of cosmetic colorants in the region.
- Use of herbal ingredients in cosmetics minimizes the chances of any side-effects. People are increasingly opting for herbal or chemical-free cosmetic products. Consumption of chemical-free ingredients in the production of cosmetics products has increased of late. This is propelling the demand for organic colorants.
- Demand of color cosmetic products (foundation and mascara), skincare products, and hair care products such as shampoos, conditioners, and hair colors has been increasing across the globe. This is augmenting the demand for cosmetic colorants.
Key Restraints of Cosmetic Colorants Market
- Artificial colorants are made from petroleum by-products or coal tar. These colorants are added to cosmetics such as blushes, eye shadows, and other makeup products to enhance brightness and beauty. However, inorganic pigment/dyes, which are synthesized from chemicals, are frequently found in colorants that can be linked to skin allergies, chromosomal damage, and asthma. Certain colorants such as Yellow #6, Red #40, and Green # 3 are banned in some countries such as Norway and Sweden. Thus, side-effects of inorganic colorants on the human body and restrictions imposed by Norway and Sweden on certain cosmetic colorants can negatively affect the cosmetic colorants market.
Cosmetic Colorants Market: Application Segment
- Based on application, cosmetic colors are primarily used in lip products. Lip products such as lipsticks and lip balms are used to protect lips from cracking in dry air. Various types of colors are used in lip products; red is the commonly used color. Lipsticks can be colored with soluble dyes/insoluble pigments. Prior to 1920, natural dyes were used as colorants in lip products. Later, manufacturers started using bromo acid to produce various colors such as red, blue-red, orange-red, or red-red.
- Facial products such as facial foundation and mascara contain cyclopentasiloxane, water, titanium dioxide, iron oxide, sodium chloride, benzyl alcohol, phenoxyethanol, and various other chemicals. Titanium dioxide is used to enhance the brightness of cosmetic products. Mica is primarily used in powder-based cosmetics. Iron oxide is used to achieve red, yellow, and black colors.
- Companies engaged in the production of facial and body products such as sunscreen lotions, face wash, and moisturizers offer organic and inorganic products. Rise in demand for these products is expected to propel the demand for cosmetic colorants in the near future.
- Titanium dioxide, chromium oxide greens, manganese violet, bismuth oxychloride, chromium hydroxide green, ferric ferrocyanide, and carmine are some of the key ingredients of colorants used in eyeliners. Carmine is a red colorant derived from crushed insect bodies. It is mostly used in eye makeup products. Rise in demand for eyeliners in pencil and liquid forms is propelling the demand for inorganic colorants.
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report
Key Manufacturers in Market
Key manufacturers operating in the global cosmetic colorants market include:
- BASF SE
- Lanxess AG
- IFC Solutions
- Pylam Products Company, Inc.
- Sensient Cosmetic Technologies
- Phoenix Colours
- Spectrum Chemical Mfg. Corp
- Matrix Pharma Chem
- Escentual Soaps
- Chromatech Incorporated
- Koel Colours Private Limited
- Neelikon Dyestuffs
- Aakash Chemicals and Dyestuffs
Global Cosmetic Colorants Market: Research Scope
Global Cosmetic Colorants Market, by Type
Global Cosmetic Colorants Market, by Application
- Facial Make-up
- Lip Products
- Eye Make-up
- Nail Products
- Hair Color Products
Global Cosmetic Colorants Market, by Source
- Inorganic Colorants
- Organic Colorants
Global Cosmetic Colorants Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note:Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.