Cold Plates: Introduction
- Cold plates dissipate the heat generated by electronic components, or any other surfaces with high heat loads, to the liquid that flows to a remote heat exchanger. Heat can be transferred into either an ambient or another liquid in a secondary cooling system.
- Air cooling is not sufficient while cooling IGBT modules or any powered electronics, while proper liquid cooling is needed to transfer heat. Liquid cold plates provide cooling four times better as compared to that offered by an equal mass of air. The liquid cooling system consists of a pump, heat exchanger, connective tubing and cold plates that can replace space consuming heat sinks and fans.
- High thermal conductivity and compact design make cold plates ideal to use for several applications such as powered electronics, IGBT modules, medical equipment, wind turbines, lasers, motor devices, and automotive components
- Liquid cooled cold plates require a constant flow of cooling water. This can be tap water, deionized water, inhibited glycol and water solutions, dielectric fluids, polyalphaolefin, etc.
- Cold plates are typically made from aluminum with either copper or stainless steel tubes. Each tubed cold plates has a single tube available with 2/4/6-passing with no joint, ensuring leak-free operation.
Key Drivers of Cold Plates Market
- Cold plate technology was first introduced to dissipate heat in NASA’s Apollo program. Miniaturization of high powered electronics have prompted engineers to develop cooling methods of increasing complexity. Thermal management of high powered electronics is a critical component of a design process. Increase in demand for renewable energy and electric vehicles has fueled the demand for high-powered electronics. Demand for power electronic devices in the automotive industry is being propelled by the development of electric vehicles (EVs) and hybrid electric vehicles (HEVs) which in turn is projected to boost the demand for cold plates in the near future.
- Applications of IGBT modules in industrial electronics are increasing, and they require liquid-cooling systems, particularly using cold plates placed directly on devices to transfer as much heat as possible. Rising application of IGBT modules is estimated to propel the demand for cold plates in the next few years.
- The medical industry has expanded over the last few years, which has led to a higher demand for modern medical equipment. Reliable and cost-effective compact thermal cooling solutions, such as cold plates with heat exchangers, are used for cooling medical devices and laboratory equipment. Increase in private and government spending on medical infrastructure is estimated to augment the demand for cold plates in the near future.
Key Restraint of Cold Plates Market
- Engineers are more concerned about nanoparticle buildup and possible clogging in the cold plate or the pump. High initial cost and regular maintenance & cleaning are primarily required. These factors can act as a major restraint for the cold plates market.
Covid-19 Impact on Cold Plates Market
- The COVID-19 pandemic has had a severe impact on the use of cold plates in end-use industries. The industrial shutdown has also adversely impacted product and inventory transportation, as logistic services have been hampered due to the COVID-19 outbreak. Demand for cold plates in automotive applications has suffered due to slowdown in the demand for automotive caused by COVID-19 pandemic and increase in prices of fuels. However, the medical equipment industry has been positively impacted by COVID-19, as the number of patients admitted during this period was higher than those in the last few years.
Global Cold Plates Market: Regional Outlook
- In terms of geography, the demand for cold plates market in Asia Pacific has been rising at a significant pace owing to expansion of the manufacturing industry in ASEAN nations, China, and India. Lower manufacturing cost in China, Vietnam, and Malaysia is primary reason driving the production of cold plates in these countries. Their production is estimated to increase further during the forecast period owing to lower corporate taxes, as compared to that in other developing and developed nations. Furthermore, the market in Asia Pacific is estimated to expand further due to rising consumption of power electronic devices in automotive and renewable energy sectors in the region.
- The market in Europe and North America is estimated to expand at a sluggish pace in the next few years, owing to higher manufacturing cost, while the market in Middle East & Africa and Latin America is driven by recent economic developments and rise in investments in the power electronics industry in these regions.
Key Players Operating in Global Market
Key players operating in the global cold plates market include:
- BOYD Corporation
- Wieland Microcool
- Columbia-Staver Limited
- Parker Hannifin Corporation
- Stulz GmbH
- Dana Limited
- Cofan USA, Inc.
- CECLA Metal Process
- Kawaso Texcel co., Ltd
- Malico Inc.
Global Cold Plates Market: Research Scope
Global Cold Plates Market, by Tubing Type
- Stainless Steel
Global Cold Plates Market, by Coolant Type
- Deionized Water
- Inhibited Glycol and Water Solutions
- Dielectric Fluids
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.