Chlorobutyl Rubber: Introduction
- Chlorobutyl rubber a rubber obtained by reacting butyl rubber with chlorine in a continuous process. Chlorobutyl (CIIR) is a copolymer of chlorinated isobutylene and small amounts of isoprene. In comparison to butyl rubber, chlorobutyl rubber is more reactive, and provides faster cure with lower amount of curatives and better adhesion to unsaturated rubbers and metals.
- Chlorobutyl rubber possesses many properties similar to butyl rubber, including low gas and moisture permeability, good vibration damping, resistant to fire and steam, low glass transition temperature, and excellent resistance to aging and weathering. It also possesses certain exceptional properties such as advanced adhesion, increased cure reactivity, and higher compatibility with unsaturated polymers.
- Chlorobutyl rubber is a suitable option for objects that need low permeability to liquids and gases such as membranes, tire inner liners, seals, and hoses. Demand for chlorobutyl rubber is increasing in medical and rubber processing industries, as it is used for the production of medical items and rubber technical items. It is used as a material of choice for pharmaceutical closures owing to its cleanliness and good resealing properties. Chlorobutyl rubber is significantly used in the tire industry for the production of inner liners of radial and tubeless tires.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Chlorobutyl Rubber Market
- Growth in the automotive industry in emerging economies such as China and India; and rise in demand for electric vehicles across the globe in order to curb pollution are expected to drive the tire industry. This, in turn, is projected to fuel the demand for chlorobutyl rubber in the automotive sector during the forecast period.
- High volatility in prices of natural rubber is prompting manufacturers to shift to high-end synthetic rubber. Chlorobutyl rubber offers superior physical and mechanical properties. This is estimated to propel the demand for chlorobutyl rubber in the near future.
- Implementation of various laws & regulations by regional government authorities with regard to excessive use of synthetic rubber is hampering the market. Additionally, lower sustainability of synthetic rubber compared to natural rubber; and stringent laws against greenhouse gas emission such as isobutylene are expected to restrain the market during the forecast period.
Chlorobutyl Rubber: End-use Segment
- Based on end-use, the global chlorobutyl rubber market can be segmented into automotive, pharmaceuticals, medical, industrial, and others
- The automotive segment is projected to hold significant share of the global market during the forecast period
- The industrial segment is likely to expand at a healthy CAGR during the forecast period
Covid-19 Impact on Chlorobutyl Rubber Market
- Since the COVID-19 virus outbreak in December 2019, the disease has spread to almost 214 countries and territories around the globe with the World Health Organization declaring it a public health emergency. The COVID-19 disease is significantly affecting the chlorobutyl rubber market.
- The COVID-19 pandemic has had a swift and severe negative impact on the globally integrated industries such as the automotive. It has hampered the supply chain significantly. It is also expected to negatively affect manufacturing, distribution, and supply of chlorobutyl rubber in the near future.
Asia Pacific to be a Key Region of Global Chlorobutyl Rubber
- In terms of region, the global chlorobutyl rubber market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific is predicted to hold major share of the global chlorobutyl rubber market during the forecast period. India, China, and Singapore are leading countries of the market in Asia Pacific. Rapid growth of the automotive industry, rise in demand for original equipment manufacturer (OEM) tires, strong economic growth, and significant investment by leading industry players are likely to provide lucrative opportunities to the market in the region.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Chlorobutyl Rubber Market
The global chlorobutyl rubber market was highly fragmented in 2019. Major players have prominent presence in developing countries. Key manufacturers operating in the global chlorobutyl rubber market include:
- ExxonMobil Chemical
- Zhejiang Cenway
- Panjin Heyun Industrial
- Sinopec Beijing Yanshan
- Nizhnekamskneftekhim (NKNK)
Global Chlorobutyl Rubber Market: Research Scope
Global Chlorobutyl Rubber Market, by End-user
Global Chlorobutyl Rubber Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!