Calcium Sorbate: Introduction
- Calcium sorbate is a crystalline white powder, which is soluble in water and insoluble in ethanol. It is often used as a food preservative. Calcium sorbate is manufactured by neutralization of sorbic acid.
- Based on application, the calcium sorbate market can be divided into food, cosmetics & personal care, and others. The food segment dominated the global calcium sorbate market in 2019. Ability of calcium sorbate to prevent the growth of microbes, molds, and fungi in food is anticipated to augment its consumption in the food application in the near future. Calcium sorbate is commonly used in packaging of drugs owing to its antimicrobial characteristics.
Major Drivers of Calcium Sorbate Market
- Demand for food preservatives has been rising significantly, due to rapid growth of the convenience foods industry. This is boosting the demand for calcium sorbate, considering the growth in consumer awareness regarding the benefits of healthy food. Asia Pacific is a rapidly expanding region of the food & beverages industry, led by increase in population; and rise and wider distribution of disposable income of the people in the region. Consumers are becoming increasingly aware of the impact of the food they eat on health. Additionally, awareness about food contents has been rising owing to increase in government campaigns to lower the prevalence of diseases. Calcium sorbate helps preserve the food stuff from degradation. This is estimated to boost demand for calcium sorbate in the near future.
COVID-19 Impact on the Global Calcium Sorbate Market
- Production of calcium sorbate is projected to be significantly hampered due to the global supply chain disruption triggered by the COVID-19 pandemic. Extension of lockdown in various countries across the globe has resulted in decreased consumption of ready-to-eat food, wherein calcium sorbate is extensively used to maintain the nutritional value.
- Availability of substitutes such as potassium and sodium sorbate is expected to hamper the market in the next few years. Calcium sorbate has been banned as a food additive in Europe, owing to lack of genotoxicity data on the product. These factors are likely to act as barriers in production and consumption of calcium sorbate.
North America to Hold Prominent Share of Global Calcium Sorbate Market
- In terms of region, the global calcium sorbate market can be split into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Growth of food and cosmetic & personal care sectors in Asia Pacific is a key driver of the market in the region. Rise in population, increase in disposable income, and expanding middle class population are some of the factors boosting the food & beverages industry in Asia Pacific. However, the outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic has led to supply chain disruption, which is hampering the manufacture and supply of calcium sorbate. However, the market in the region is expected to bounce back by the end of 2021. This is anticipated to boost the production and supply of calcium sorbate in the near future.
- The calcium sorbate market in Europe is estimated to contract by the end of the forecast period. Decline of share of the calcium sorbate market in the region can be ascribed to the presence of a ban on the usage of calcium sorbate across Europe.
- The market in North America is likely to expand at a faster pace than that in Europe due to increase in awareness about the benefits of calcium sorbate in the region
- The calcium sorbate market in Latin America and Middle East & Africa is expected to expand at a moderate pace during the forecast period. A few manufacturers of calcium sorbate operate in Latin America. The region relies on import of calcium sorbate from developed countries such as China and the U.S. in order to meet the domestic demand for calcium sorbate.
Key Players Operating in Global Calcium Sorbate Market
The global calcium sorbate market is highly fragmented. Producers operating in the global market are primarily engaged in increasing product offerings. Key players operating in the global calcium sorbate market include:
- RuGao ChangJiang Food Co.,Ltd.
- Xiamen Hisunny Chemical Co., LTD
- JIANGBEI ADDITIVE CO., LTD.
- APAC Chemical
- FBC Industries
- Nantong Acetic
Global Calcium Sorbate Market: Research Scope
Global Calcium Sorbate Market, by Application
- Dairy Products
- Cosmetic & Personal Care
- Others (Pharmaceutical, etc.)
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!