Bio-based Esters: Introduction
- Rise in popularity of recyclable plastics to overcome the issue of plastics waste is driving the demand for bio-based ingredients. Bio-based esters offer excellent material strength to the plastic, with minimal impact on the environment. This is driving the bio-based esters market across the globe.
- Bio-based esters are widely used in various applications such as paints & coatings, personal care products, lubricants, plastics, construction, textile, and paper. Paints & coatings and plastics are the leading segments of the global bio-based esters market.
- Esters derived from carboxyl acid are the most common esters. These esters are produced by the reaction of alcohols and carboxylic acids in the presence of sulfuric or hydrochloric acid. Bio-based esters are esters derived from natural resources such as soybean, corn oil, canola oil, and palm oil.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Bio-based Esters Market
- Rapid growth of the paints & coatings industry can be ascribed to growth of industries such as public works, real estate, and building & construction. Increase in concerns regarding high VOC content of synthetic solvents and growth in awareness among end-users about use of eco-friendly products are anticipated to drive the demand for eco-friendly, i.e. green solvents, across the globe.
- Green solvents are based on bio-based esters. They are derived from agricultural sources such as soybean oil, corn, sugarcane, refined glycerin, bio-succinic acid, and lactic acid. Petroleum-based solvents have a much larger environmental footprint compared to green solvents. Thus, increase in popularity of eco-friendly solvents in the paints & coatings industry is anticipated to drive the demand for bio-based esters during the forecast period.
- End-consumers and manufacturers of personal care products are concerned about the environmental footprint of various products and their ingredients. Increase in awareness about ill-effects of synthetic ingredients is propelling the demand for sustainable products in the global personal care industry.
Bio-based Esters: End-use Segment
- In terms of end-use, the bio-based esters market can be segmented into paints & coatings, personal care, construction, and others
- The paints & coatings segment dominated the market in 2020 primarily due to the rise in environmental concerns over usage of chemical-grade industrial solvents with high VOC content in paints and coatings solutions
- Awareness regarding effects of chemical-grade industrial solvents on environmental and human health is increasing across the globe. This is driving the demand for bio-based alternatives in core applications such as paints & coatings and adhesives in end-use industries such as construction and automotive.
COVID-19 Impact on Bio-based Esters Market
- On January 30, 2020, the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee of the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak a public health emergency of international concern. Originating in China, the virus has spread to at least 214 countries and territories around the world.
- Several governments and private sector businesses are operating at a limited capacity or have ceased operations completely due to recent events surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic
- Manufacture of various consumer goods and other products across the globe came to a halt due to the unavailability of raw materials, shortage of labor, and other reasons. This is expected to hamper the bio-based esters market.
North America to Dominate Bio-based Esters Market
- In terms of region, the bio-based esters market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America is a leading consumer of bio-based esters, followed by Europe and Asia Pacific. Rise in demand for eco-friendly products, such as solvents, for usage in paints, coatings, and industrial applications led by stringent environmental norms in the U.S. is anticipated to drive the demand for bio-based esters market in North America in the near future.
- Strong growth of the construction industry, primarily in the U.S., supported by economic growth of the country is fueling the demand for solvents. This is positively impacting the demand for bio-based esters, considering their usage in production of green solvents, in North America.
- Demand for bio-based esters in Asia Pacific is expected to rise at a significant pace. Increase in demand for high-end personal care products is boosting the market in the region.
- Infrastructure development in countries such as China and India; and rise in public and private investments are augmenting the demand for solvents in the paints & coatings industry in Asia Pacific. Rise in government initiatives to curb environmental hazards caused by high VOC content of petroleum-based solvents is anticipated to boost the demand for green solvents in the region. These factors, in turn, are estimated to drive the demand for bio-based esters in Asia Pacific during the forecast period.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Bio-based Esters Market
The bio-based esters market was consolidated in 2020. Major players have prominent presence in developed and developing countries. Key manufacturers operating in the bio-based esters market include:
- Cargill, Incorporated
- Arkema Inc.
- BASF SE
- Vertec BioSolvents
- Huntsman Corporation
- BIOAMBER S.A.S.
Bio-based Esters Market: Research Scope
Bio-based Esters Market, by Source
- Palm Oil
- Soybean Oil
Bio-based Esters Market, by End-use
- Paints & Coatings
- Personal Care
Global Bio-based Esters Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
With a robust experience in creating exceptional market reports, Transparency Market Research has emerged as one of the trusted market research companies among a large number of stakeholders and CXOs. Every report at Transparency Market Research goes through rigorous research activity in every aspect. The researchers at TMR keep a close watch on the market and extract beneficial growth-boosting points. These points help the stakeholders to strategize their business plans accordingly.
TMR researchers conduct exhaustive qualitative and quantitative research. This research involves taking inputs from the experts in the market, focused attention on recent developments, and others. This method of research makes TMR stand out from other market research firms.
Here's how Transparency Market Research helps the stakeholders and CXOs through the reports:
Inculcation and Evaluation of Strategic Collaborations: The TMR researchers analyze recent strategic activities like mergers, acquisitions, partnerships, collaborations, and joint ventures. All the information is compiled and included in the report.
Perfect Market Size Estimations: The report analyzes the demographics, growth potential, and capability of the market through the forecast period. This factor leads to the estimation of the market size and also provides an outline about how the market will retrieve growth during the assessment period.
Investment Research: The report focuses on the ongoing and upcoming investment opportunities across a particular market. These developments make the stakeholders aware of the current investment scenario across the market.
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.