Antifreeze & Thawing Agents: Introduction
- Antifreeze & thawing agents are chemical additives that are added to water-based fluid to reduce the freezing point of the mixture. In cold weather environment, ethylene glycol and propylene glycol are used as antifreeze agents in the radiator of the car.
- Antifreeze & thawing agents develop heat transfer property on being mixed with water. This plays a major role in adoption of propylene glycol and ethylene glycol.
- Antifreeze agents possess anti-corrosion properties and become viscous at low temperatures, or evaporate easily at the ordinary engine operating temperature
- Based on product type, antifreeze agents can be segregated into propylene glycol, ethylene glycol, methanol, glycerin, and others
Key Drivers of Antifreeze & Thawing Agents Market
- Antifreeze agents are primarily used in the oil & gas industry. In the natural gas industry, pipelines are generally used under the sea where the temperature is extremely cold. Salt water can corrode and damage these pipelines. Propylene glycol and ethylene glycol have antifreeze and anti-corrosion properties, which enable the heat transfer process and prevent blockages from freezing temperatures, thereby providing safety to pipelines. Anti-freezing agents are used as de-watering agents to remove water vapor from gas pipelines and act as drying agents to stop the formation of hydrates in gas pipelines that transport natural gas from fields to processing facilities. Consumption of natural gas is estimated to increase in the near future due to increase in prices of petrol and diesel. This, in turn, is estimated to augment the sales of propylene glycol and ethylene glycol as antifreeze agents in the natural gas industry.
- In the automotive industry, antifreeze agents are mixed with water in the cooling system of an internal-combustion engine so that it can be cooled down below the freezing point of water without icing. Ethylene glycol is used as a base to produce a liquid that is injected into the car’s engine to regulate and maintain an optimal operating temperature during extreme hot or cold weather conditions. Increase in demand for antifreeze agents in the automotive industry for de-icing and anti-icing materials is further projected to boost the global market in the next few years.
Covid-19 Impact on Antifreeze & Thawing Agents Market
- The COVID-19 pandemic has had a major impact on end-use industries of antifreeze & thawing agents. Lockdown imposed by governments of various countries in the world to curb the spread of the Covid-19 pandemic has severely impacted the oil industry. Majority of consumption of antifreeze & thawing agents such as propylene glycol and ethylene glycol is generated from oil & natural gas and automotive industries. The oil & natural gas industry has been hampered due to sudden stoppage in consumption of petrol and natural gas. The U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) projects a drop in natural gas production from an all-time high of 92.21 billion cubic feet per day (bcfd) in 2019 to 89.24 bcfd in 2020 and 84.23 bcfd in 2021. It also estimates gas consumption to fall from a record 84.97 bcfd in 2019 to 82.35 bcfd in 2020 and 78.62 bcfd in 2021. However, as per the agency, consumption of liquid fuel has decreased of late. It is likely to rise in the latter half of 2020. This is anticipated to boost the sales of antifreeze and thawing agents in the second half of 2020 and in 2021.
North America to Hold Significant Share of Global Antifreeze & Thawing Agents Market
- In terms of region, the global antifreeze & thawing agents market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Currently, North America and Europe are the major regions of the global market. The market in North America and Europe is expected to expand at a faster pace than that in other regions owing to growth in the oil & gas industry in these regions
- Asia Pacific is another key consumer and producer of antifreeze agents. Increase in sales of commercial vehicles in Asia Pacific amidst the global automobile slowdown in 2019 indicates the immense potential of the automotive industry in the longer horizon.
Key Players Operating in Global Market
Key players operating in the global antifreeze & thawing agents market include:
- BASF SE
- Mitan Mineralöl GmbH
- KOST USA, Inc.
- Chevron Corporation
- FUCHS Petrolub AG
- Valvoline LLC
- Exxon Mobil Corporation
- Lukoil Company
Global Antifreeze & Thawing Agents Market: Research Scope
Global Antifreeze & Thawing Agents Market, by Application
- Oil & Gas
- Food & Beverages
Global Antifreeze & Thawing Agents Market, by Type
- Ethylene Glycol
- Propylene Glycol
- Calcium Chloride
Global Antifreeze & Thawing Agents Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!