- 2,6-Xylidine, also known as 2,6-Dimethylbenzene-1-amine, 2,6-Dimethylbenzenamine, and 2,6-Dimethylphenylamine, is a colorless viscous liquid with high water solubility and aromatic odor
- 2,6-Xylidine is an important building block in the production of active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs) such as lidocaine or ranolazine. It is also a chemical intermediate that is used in the production of dyes, pesticides, fragrances, and other products. It is used in the production of crop protection agents such as phenylamide type of fungicides or chloroacetanilide type of herbicides in the agrochemical industry.
- 2,6-Xylidine is synthesized by nitration of xylene and reduction, followed by removal of the 2,4-isomer by the formation of the acetate salt, removal of the 2,5-isomer by formation of the hydrochloride salt, and recovery of the 2,6-isomer by sublimation. It is also used in the production of anesthetic agents such as lidocaine, bupivacaine, mepivacaine, and etidocaine.
Key Drivers of 2,6-Xylidine Market
- 2,6-Xylidine is primarily used in the production of anesthetic drugs such as lidocaine. Lidocaine is a local anesthetic medication that is used to numb an area in the body in order to reduce pain or discomfort caused by invasive medical procedures such as surgery, needle punctures, or insertion of a catheter or breathing tube. The injection is sometimes used to treat irregular heart rhythms that may signal a possible heart attack. It is also administered in the epidural space (spinal block) to reduce the discomfort of contractions during labor. Rise in surgical procedures, such as cosmetic and dental procedures and plastic surgeries, is the key factor driving the global market. Growth in geriatric population and their health issues is also estimated to propel the demand for anesthetic drugs in the next couple of years. This, in turn, is expected to boost the demand for 2,6-Xylidine.
- Consumption of 2,6-Xylidine in the agrochemical industry has been increasing owing to the rise in demand for fungicides and herbicides. Fungicides are applied to kill or inhibit the growth of fungi and their spores in order to control fungi that can cause damage to crops. Most fungicides harm the fungal cell membranes or interfere with energy production in the fungal cell. Global population has been increasing at a rapid pace. By 2025, the population is estimated to rise by 2 billion. This would take the population to 9.7 billion by 2025 from 7.7 billion in 2019. This addition in population is projected to push the demand for high quality crops and crop protection agents such as phenylamide type of fungicides or chloroacetanilide type of herbicides. In turn, this is likely to augment the usage of 2,6-Xylidine in the agrochemical industry during the forecast period.
Key Restraint of 2,6-Xylidine Market
- 2,6-Xylidine is suspected to be carcinogenic in nature. However, the potential of 2,6-xylidine to cause cancer in humans has not been assessed by the U.S. EPA IRIS program or the U.S. National Toxicology Program 13th Report on Carcinogens. There is ambiguity and discussion happening over the negative effects of 2,6-Xylidine on human beings. This is expected to hamper the market in the near future.
Covid-19 Impact on 2,6-Xylidine Market
- The COVID-19 pandemic has had a positive impact on the end-use industries of 2,6-Xylidine. Agrochemical and pharmaceutical industries have been experiencing growth during the pandemic.
- Demand for pharmaceutical products has been rising significantly. Pharmaceutical is one of the few sectors that has been positively impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. As per a report published by India Ratings and Research, the pharmaceutical sector in the country is projected to grow 3%-5% in FY 2021 compared to that in FY 2020. The global pharmaceutical industry achieved business of US$ 1.11 Trn in 2018. This figure is estimated to rise owing to the increase in pressure to develop drugs and vaccines against COVID-19. Increase in revenue for major global pharmaceutical companies such as Pfizer Inc., Johnson & Johnson, F. Hoffmann-La Roche AG, and Dr. Reddy Laboratories can help in expansion and new product development. The usage of 2,6-Xylidine as intermediate is estimated to increase owing to growth in the pharmaceutical industry.
Asia Pacific to Hold Significant Share of Global 2,6-Xylidine Market
- In terms of region, the global 2,6-Xylidine market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- The 2,6-Xylidine market in Asia Pacific is anticipated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period owing to high consumption of crop protection chemicals in the region. The region has a number of strong agriculture-based economies such as India, Vietnam, and China where rising population is expected to drive the demand for 2,6-Xylidine.
- The market in Europe and North America is estimated to expand at a sluggish pace in the next few years, owing to higher manufacturing cost and lower number of manufacturers as compared to that in Asia Pacific. The market in Middle East & Africa and Latin America is being driven by recent economic developments and rise in investments in the pharmaceutical industry in these regions.
Key Players Operating in Global Market
Key players operating in the global 2,6-Xylidine market include:
- Deepak Nitrite
- Patel Group
- Jiangsu Baoling Chemical
- Fusheng Holding Group
- Laohekou Lianyi Chemical
Global 2,6-Xylidine Market: Research Scope
Global 2,6-Xylidine Market, by Purity
Global 2,6-Xylidine Market, by End-use Industry
Global 2,6-Xylidine Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!