Wave-powered Water Pumping Market: Overview
- Wave-powered water pumping offers an economical, sustainable, scalable, and eco-friendly solution for supply of water for a variety of purposes such as desalination of water
- By using wave-powered water pumps, pressurized seawater arriving on shore can be pumped into a desalination facility without the need for grid-tied electricity or costly fossil fuels to run generators
- In wave-powered water pumping, the wave action is intended to activate the pumps that can pump seawater through a series of tubes to water turbines, which eventually drive electric generators located along the shore
- A wave-powered pump comprises an OWC-type (oscillating water column type) wave chamber and a series of specially shaped basins that are stacked on top of one another in such a way that there is a room for water to flow
- On the other hand, wave-powered pumps allow for more efficient energy conversion than the conventional OWC-type pumps, which usually use electrically powered air turbines
- Wave-powered water pumps can also be used for drainage. Currently, drainage is carried out by using the conventional water pumps driven by wind mills or steam, electric engines, or diesel.
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF sample of this report
Key Drivers of Global Wave-powered Water Pumping Market
- Growing scarcity of fresh water is driving the installation of wave-powered water pumping systems on an increasingly large scale
- Growing concerns about the environment and rising usage of clean energy substitutes are likely to be key factors driving the global wave-powered water pumping market during the forecast period
- With favorable policies and initiatives, governments across the world have taken a few steps toward promotion of wave-powered water pumping systems. This, in turn, would provide ample opportunities to the global wave-powered water pumping market in the near future.
- The world is witnessing rising need for exploration of sustainable sources of water for both human consumption and economic activities. Wave-powered pumps can be used for desalination of water, especially in areas with only a few sources of freshwater supplies, such as drought-hit countries.
Restraints of Global Wave-powered Water Pumping Market
- A common issue associated with wave energy is that only height of the wave but also period of the wave needs to be considered. This becomes a more complicated issue when continuous pumping of water is required.
- Also, harnessing wave power causes a potentially harmful impact on the marine environment. For example, noise pollution can have a negative impact if not monitored properly.
- In the U.K., Pelamis has developed a mechanical pump that floats on the sea surface
- In March 2018, Tveter Power, a Norway-based company, started trialing a pumping device driven by wave power at an oceanic platform called the PLOCAN test site off Canary Islands. Tveter Power was founded in 2011, with an objective to develop and market renewable energy-driven devices; install and operate desalination plants; and carry out research and development of new technologies based on renewable energy. The first stage of the project was implemented in 2016 and 2017 on the Atlantic coast of Norway, where a preliminary version of the device underwent several resistance trials.
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report
Middle East & Africa to Hold a Major Share of Global Wave-powered Water Pumping Market
- Based on region, the global wave-powered water pumping market can be classified into North America, Asia Pacific, Europe, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America is expected to be a highly attractive region of the global Wave-powered Water Pumping market during the forecast period
- For example, according to a study conducted by National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) in the U.S., it is estimated that the total amount of energy that can be generated along the coastline of the country is equivalent to 1,170 TWh per year.
- As for Europe, countries situated along the western seaboard part of the region are locations with the maximum potential for wave power.
- The Middle East market is likely to witness significant growth during the forecast period, as a large number of oil- and gas-based economies in the sub-region have shifted toward the desalination sector and they are making use of wave-powered water pumping systems
Key Players Operating in Global Wave-powered Water Pumping Market
Some of the major players operating in the global wave-powered water pumping market are:
- Tveter Power
- Impact-Free Water (Pty) Ltd
Global Wave-powered Water Pumping Market, by Application
Global Wave-powered Water Pumping Market, by End-use
- Desalination of Water
- Domestic Power Generation
Global Wave-powered Water Pumping Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note:Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.