Sand Battery: Introduction
- A sand battery uses quartz-rich sand as the feedstock and sample for non-energy intensive chemical reactions, as nanoscale silicon used in lithium-ion batteries is difficult to manufacture
- In a sand battery, sand is milled until it reaches the nanometer scale, which is achieved by introducing tiny granules of sand through a series of purification steps that lend them an appearance similar to powdered sugar. Purified quartz-rich sand is subsequently mixed with grounded salt and magnesium before it is heated to remove oxygen from the quartz, which ultimately yields pure silicon.
- In the sand battery, the sand acts like a heat absorber, while the magnesium is utilized to remove the oxygen from the quartz, which ultimately yields pure silicon. Additionally, the resulting pure silicon is in a porous state, which makes it ideal for use at the anode of the battery.
- The sand battery is a low cost, non-toxic, and environment-friendly way to manufacture a high performance lithium-ion battery
To gauge the scope of customization in our reports, Ask for a Sample
Key Drivers of Global Sand Battery Market
- Key drivers of the global market for sand battery include increase in usage of smartphones, computers, and a rise in use of other electronic devices such as power banks, remote controls, and tablets
- Sand batteries can enhance performance and have proven to boost the expected lifespan of silicon-based electric vehicle batteries by up to three times or more. This is estimated to benefit consumers of electric vehicles, as replacement of batteries can be expensive. Hence, the market for sand batteries in developing countries across the world is anticipated to expand during the forecast period.
- Rise in awareness about energy conservation is also estimated to boost the global sand battery market during the forecast period, as sand batteries are environment-friendly and non-toxic.
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF Brochure of this report
Restraints of Global Sand Battery Market
- Lack of awareness among developing countries about the utility of the sand battery to reduce energy costs is a key restraint of the global market. Most companies are not fully aware about the costing structure as well as benefits of the sand battery.
- Financing of initial cost is another challenge, as vendors are unable to provide upfront costs and equity leasing firms are reluctant to enter the marketplace
- In August 2018, Sila Nanotechnologies, a startup company engaged in the development and manufacture of materials that set a new standard for batteries, announced that it has raised US$ 70 million in Series D funding, led by Sutter Hill Ventures. Additional new investors include Next47, the Siemens-backed global venture firm, and Amperex Technology Limited (ATL).
- In July 2019, Sila Nanotechnologies announced a US$ 170 million funding led by Daimler and a partnership with the famed Germany-based automaker. Sila Nanotechnologies started building out its first production lines for its battery materials last year. That first line is capable of producing the material to supply the equivalent of 50 megawatts of lithium-ion batteries.
Asia Pacific to Hold Major Share of Global Sand Battery Market
- Based on region, the global sand battery can be classified into North America, Asia Pacific, Europe, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific is expected to dominate the global sand battery market between 2020 and 2030, due to advancements in the renewable energy sector in the region, especially in developing economies such as China and India. An article published by the United Nations Environment Program on total renewable energy investments in 2018 states that China leads the global investment in renewable energy (US$ 91.2 Bn) and that investments in the country are anticipated to increase further, owing to a large number of renewable energy projects planned during the forecast period.
- The sand battery market in Europe is expected to expand rapidly during the forecast period, owing to the usage of a large number of hybrid electric vehicles (HEVs) and electric vehicles (EVs) in the region.
- North America is likely to hold vital share of the global sand battery market from 2020 to 2030, owing to a rise in usage of cellphones and electric vehicles in the region. Moreover, stringent federal policy directives and regulations concerning greenhouse gas emissions are further boosting the sand battery market in the region.
COVID-19 Impact Analysis
- The global economy has been hampered by the measures put in place to contain the COVID-19 pandemic. The battery manufacturing industry is estimated to face immediate challenges due to the COVID-19 pandemic, such as difficulty in adhering to the social distancing norms, shortage of manpower, lack of demand & supply, and discerning expenditure by end-users.
- Key players operating in the market must ensure adequate liquidity to sustain in the market. This would help companies recover sooner from the COVID-19 crisis.
Key Players Operating in Global Market
A Key player operating in the global sand battery market is
- Sila Nanotechnologies Inc.
Global Sand Battery Market, by Application
- Electric Vehicles
- Cell phones
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.