Adaptive All Wheel Drive: Introduction
- Vehicles that enable the driver to control both front as well as rear wheels while driving are all-wheel drive (AWD) vehicles. In all-wheel drive vehicles, all the wheels receive power and the front and rear wheels rotate at the same speed, which improves traction and stability. This enhances the vehicle capability to drive on highways as well as off-roads such as driving in terrain with sand, snow, or mountain/ hilly roads.
- On the other hand, AWD, to some extent, means higher weight ratios and more rotating components, both resulting in lower efficiency. Therefore, an on-going development process to reduce driveline weight, bearing losses, oil splashing losses, etc. Moreover, additional saving potential can be achieved by disconnecting the AWD driveline when not required. For instance, GKN’s ‘ECO2 TWINSTER’ adaptive AWD system, being introduced with the Range Rover Evoque for the first time, can reduce the impact of AWD on fuel consumption by up to 75% in real-world driving conditions.
Key Drivers of Global Adaptive All Wheel Drive Market:
- Foreign direct investments, import-export trends, and industrial expansion are expected to boost economic development across various regions such as North America, Asia Pacific, and Europe, which in turn is projected to propel the per capita income of the population
- Rapid urbanization owing to an increase in population seeking employment, development of road and infrastructure, and expansion of the construction industry are expected to fuel the demand for transportation. Furthermore, expansion of the e-commerce industry coupled with rapid expansion of the logistics industry across the globe coupled with a rise in the demand for heavy duty vehicles for cargo transport and shipment is anticipated to increase the demand for heavy commercial vehicles. Demand for safety and enhanced driving dynamics has prompted automakers to introduce adaptive all-wheel drive vehicles that offer stability with increased power and fuel efficiency. This, in turn, is driving the global adaptive all-wheel drive market.
- Sportier handling and increased grip and traction offered by all-wheel drive has fueled the demand for passenger cars, especially SUVs, as compared to sedans and crossovers. Safe on-road drivability in winter or any hazardous climatic conditions is a significant factor prompting people to choose passenger cars installed with adaptive all-wheel drive type powertrain systems, especially in North America and Europe. Adaptive all-wheel drive is anticipated to be integrated at a significant rate in electrified powertrain system cars, such as hybrid, plug-in hybrid, and battery-electric cars. Therefore, this is likely to boost the adaptive all-wheel drive market across the globe.
Increasing Demand for Electric Vehicles to Offer Significant Opportunities:
- Stringent emission regulations enacted by various governments and regulatory authorities to reduce vehicle emission are prompting automakers to adopt alternate fuel propulsion such as electric propulsion, i.e. electric vehicles. Electric vehicles are considered as green vehicles, as they do not emit harmful gases such as CO, CO2, and SO2.
- Increase in adoption of adaptive all-wheel drive technology in electric vehicles in order to meet the demand for high performance and enhanced ride control among consumers is anticipated to offer lucrative opportunity to the global adaptive all-wheel drive market.
High Cost of Maintenance and Replacement for Adaptive All Wheel Drive Systems to hamper market:
- The engine in adaptive all-wheel drive vehicles power both front and rear axle. In adaptive AWD vehicles, engine power is transmitted to all the wheels of the vehicle to improve traction and control of the vehicle. The adaptive AWD system engages a secondary axle before the slippage occurs, and also distributes the torque equally between the axles when the vehicle is turning. Alternatively, in a 4WD system, the driver can decide the wheels that would be powered.
- The cost of automatically operated adaptive AWD system is higher as compared to manually operated adaptive AWD. Moreover, the production of an adaptive all-wheel drive vehicle is complex, as compared to that of a traditional forward drive vehicle (FWD) or rear drive vehicle (RWD), which adds to the cost of the vehicle. Maintenance and replacement cost for adaptive all-wheel drive systems in vehicles is higher as compared to that of FWD and RWD vehicles. This, in turn, is anticipated to hinder the global adaptive all-wheel drive market.
North America to Hold Significant Share of Global Adaptive All Wheel Drive Market:
- North America is estimated to dominate the adaptive all-wheel drive market due to the rising purchasing power parity of people, increased participation of the region’s leading automotive companies, and favorable technological infrastructure in the region. Increasing penetration of utility vehicles owing to a surge in the demand for luxurious and comfortable vehicles with large cabin space is driving the adaptive AWD vehicle market in North America.
Key Players Operating in Global Market:
The global adaptive all-wheel drive market is highly fragmented with top manufacturers across the global market. A few of the key players operating and potential in the global adaptive all-wheel drive market are:
- AB Volvo
- American Axle & Manufacturing, Inc.
- BorgWarner Inc.
- Continental AG
- Dana Incorporated
- GKN Plc
- Honda Motor Company Ltd.
- JTEKT Corporation
- Magna International Inc.
- Nissan Motor Co., Ltd.,
- Tesla, Inc.
- Valeo SA
- ZF Friedrichshafen AG
Global Adaptive All Wheel Drive Market: Research Scope
Global Adaptive All Wheel Drive Market, by Operation
Global Adaptive All Wheel Drive Market, by Vehicle Type
- Passenger Vehicle
- Utility Vehicles
- Light Commercial Vehicle
- Heavy Commercial Vehicle
Global Adaptive All Wheel Drive Market, by Propulsion
- Battery Electric Vehicle
- Hybrid Electric Vehicle
Global Adaptive All Wheel Drive Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.