HCCI Market: Introduction
- Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) refers to engine ignition, which is a combination of spark ignition (SI-Engine) and compression ignition (Diesel Engine). The process utilizes homogeneous fuel-air mixture similar to the SI-engine and uses a high compression ratio for mixture to auto-ignite, similar to the diesel engine. This lean homogeneous mixture reduces particulate emissions and helps auto-ignition, reducing the overall emission of NOx by about 90% to 98%. The engine is featured to offer an increased fuel efficiency of around 15% to 30%, as compared to that offered by SI engines.
Key Drivers of HCCI Market
- Minimizing CO2 and NOx emissions while enhancing fuel economy of IC engine vehicles is a key factor driving the HCCI market. HCCI technology has proved to be as efficient as compression-ignition direct-injection (CIDI) engines, while producing ultra-low oxides of nitrogen (NOx) and particulate matter (PM) emissions. HCCI engines can operate on gasoline, diesel fuel, and most alternative fuels. HCCI represents the next major step beyond high efficiency CIDI and spark-ignition, direct-injection (SIDI) engines for use in transportation vehicles.
- Cost-effective feature of HCCI engines as compared to that of CIDI engines is a major factor driving the HCCI market. The HCCI engine uses lower-pressure fuel-injection equipment, and the combustion characteristics of HCCI is likely to enable the use of emission control devices that depend less on scarce and expensive precious metals than either SI or CIDI engines.
Challenges in HCCI Market
- Electric vehicles are replacing diesel-powered vehicles, and this trend is anticipated to act as a major hurdle HCCI market. Several government organizations and regulatory authorities around the globe have enacted stringent vehicle regulations and standards pertaining to diesel operated vehicles. This, in turn, has prompted automakers around the globe to announce plans to phase out the production of diesel engine vehicles. This move is likely to hinder the HCCI market growth.
- The recent outbreak of COVID-19 pandemic has affected national as well as international automotive supply chains, manufacturing and R&D operations and subsequently, hampered the automotive industry. Post first wave of COVID-19 global economies have started opening up automotive manufacturing and supply chain operations, thus the COVID impact on the industry have seems to reach a state of normalcy; however, a resurgence in COVID-19 cases in countries across Europe has prompted governments to impose a second round of lockdown restrictions and hence, the uncertainty in the automotive industry continues. A gradual recovery in the demand for automotive and ancillaries is anticipated in the next few months despite concerns around the risk of a second wave of infection in numerous countries and other geopolitical risks.
For Right Perspective & Competitive Insights on Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Market, Request for a Sample
Opportunities in HCCI Market
- In April 2020, U.S National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and Environmental Protection agency have amended the Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) and greenhouse gas emissions standards for passenger cars and light trucks and established new less stringent standards, covering model years 2012 to 2016 in phase 1 and model years 2017 to 2025 in phase 2. Introduction of these standards are likely to offer significant opportunity for adoption of technologies such as HCCI engines.
- Major automotive players have been involved in enhancing the current HCCI technology through extensive R&D investments, with this step there is further scope of improving performance and extending technology to a wide range of vehicle classes and subsequently, offer significant opportunity. For instance, Ford Motor Company has an active research program on HCCI combustion, deploying optical diagnostics in single-cylinder engines to explore viable HCCI operating regimes and to investigate methods of combustion control. Likewise, GM at a research level, is evaluating the potential for incorporating HCCI combustion into engine systems. This work includes assessing the strengths and weaknesses of HCCI operation relative to other advanced concepts, assessing integration HCCI combustion into a viable powertrain, and the development of appropriate modeling tools.
HCCI Market in Asia Pacific to expand at a notable growth rate
Asia Pacific to dominate the global HCCI market in 2019. It is anticipated to hold a leading share during the forecast period due to a rise in the production and sale of conventional fuel based vehicles in the region. In China, gasoline cars dominate the market. EVs are presently a key part of the economic reboot plan enacted by authorities in China; however, gasoline is by far the most popular fuel among consumers. In H1 2019, 92% of passenger car sales featured this fossil type. The other major automotive market in the region, India, is expected to be dominated by fossil-fuel based vehicles. Japan is a major global hotspot for automobile manufacturing, and the country is at the forefront in actively conducting R&D on HCCI technology. Two major automobile manufacturers from the country namely Nissan and Honda have been involved in producing HCCI engines. Nissan is producing a light truck engine that uses intermittent HCCI operation and diesel fuel, and Honda is producing a 2-stroke cycle gasoline engine using HCCI for motorcycles. Therefore, the scope for conventional fuel vehicles and the development of HCCI technology for conventional fuel vehicle in the region is estimated to make Asia Pacific a lucrative market for HCCI globally.
Key Players Operating in HCCI Market
The global HCCI market is moderately consolidated. A few of the key players operating in the global HCCI market are:
- Audi AG
- Daimler AG
- Ford Motor Company
- General Motors
- Hyundai Motor Company
- Mazda Motor Corporation
- Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC
- Nissan Motor Co., Ltd
- Robert Bosch GmbH
- Volkswagen AG
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF Brochure of this report
Global Automotive Perception Sensor Mark: Research Scope
Global HCCI Market, by Type
- Two-Stroke HCCI Engine
- Four-Stroke HCCI Engine
Global HCCI Market, by Vehicle Type
- Passenger Vehicle
- Commercial Vehicle
Global HCCI Market, by Sales Channel
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.