HCCI Market: Introduction
- Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) refers to engine ignition, which is a combination of spark ignition (SI-Engine) and compression ignition (Diesel Engine). The process utilizes homogeneous fuel-air mixture similar to the SI-engine and uses a high compression ratio for mixture to auto-ignite, similar to the diesel engine. This lean homogeneous mixture reduces particulate emissions and helps auto-ignition, reducing the overall emission of NOx by about 90% to 98%. The engine is featured to offer an increased fuel efficiency of around 15% to 30%, as compared to that offered by SI engines.
Key Drivers of HCCI Market
- Minimizing CO2 and NOx emissions while enhancing fuel economy of IC engine vehicles is a key factor driving the HCCI market. HCCI technology has proved to be as efficient as compression-ignition direct-injection (CIDI) engines, while producing ultra-low oxides of nitrogen (NOx) and particulate matter (PM) emissions. HCCI engines can operate on gasoline, diesel fuel, and most alternative fuels. HCCI represents the next major step beyond high efficiency CIDI and spark-ignition, direct-injection (SIDI) engines for use in transportation vehicles.
- Cost-effective feature of HCCI engines as compared to that of CIDI engines is a major factor driving the HCCI market. The HCCI engine uses lower-pressure fuel-injection equipment, and the combustion characteristics of HCCI is likely to enable the use of emission control devices that depend less on scarce and expensive precious metals than either SI or CIDI engines.
Challenges in HCCI Market
- Electric vehicles are replacing diesel-powered vehicles, and this trend is anticipated to act as a major hurdle HCCI market. Several government organizations and regulatory authorities around the globe have enacted stringent vehicle regulations and standards pertaining to diesel operated vehicles. This, in turn, has prompted automakers around the globe to announce plans to phase out the production of diesel engine vehicles. This move is likely to hinder the HCCI market growth.
- The recent outbreak of COVID-19 pandemic has affected national as well as international automotive supply chains, manufacturing and R&D operations and subsequently, hampered the automotive industry. Post first wave of COVID-19 global economies have started opening up automotive manufacturing and supply chain operations, thus the COVID impact on the industry have seems to reach a state of normalcy; however, a resurgence in COVID-19 cases in countries across Europe has prompted governments to impose a second round of lockdown restrictions and hence, the uncertainty in the automotive industry continues. A gradual recovery in the demand for automotive and ancillaries is anticipated in the next few months despite concerns around the risk of a second wave of infection in numerous countries and other geopolitical risks.
For Right Perspective & Competitive Insights on Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Market, Request for a Sample
Opportunities in HCCI Market
- In April 2020, U.S National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and Environmental Protection agency have amended the Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) and greenhouse gas emissions standards for passenger cars and light trucks and established new less stringent standards, covering model years 2012 to 2016 in phase 1 and model years 2017 to 2025 in phase 2. Introduction of these standards are likely to offer significant opportunity for adoption of technologies such as HCCI engines.
- Major automotive players have been involved in enhancing the current HCCI technology through extensive R&D investments, with this step there is further scope of improving performance and extending technology to a wide range of vehicle classes and subsequently, offer significant opportunity. For instance, Ford Motor Company has an active research program on HCCI combustion, deploying optical diagnostics in single-cylinder engines to explore viable HCCI operating regimes and to investigate methods of combustion control. Likewise, GM at a research level, is evaluating the potential for incorporating HCCI combustion into engine systems. This work includes assessing the strengths and weaknesses of HCCI operation relative to other advanced concepts, assessing integration HCCI combustion into a viable powertrain, and the development of appropriate modeling tools.
HCCI Market in Asia Pacific to expand at a notable growth rate
Asia Pacific to dominate the global HCCI market in 2019. It is anticipated to hold a leading share during the forecast period due to a rise in the production and sale of conventional fuel based vehicles in the region. In China, gasoline cars dominate the market. EVs are presently a key part of the economic reboot plan enacted by authorities in China; however, gasoline is by far the most popular fuel among consumers. In H1 2019, 92% of passenger car sales featured this fossil type. The other major automotive market in the region, India, is expected to be dominated by fossil-fuel based vehicles. Japan is a major global hotspot for automobile manufacturing, and the country is at the forefront in actively conducting R&D on HCCI technology. Two major automobile manufacturers from the country namely Nissan and Honda have been involved in producing HCCI engines. Nissan is producing a light truck engine that uses intermittent HCCI operation and diesel fuel, and Honda is producing a 2-stroke cycle gasoline engine using HCCI for motorcycles. Therefore, the scope for conventional fuel vehicles and the development of HCCI technology for conventional fuel vehicle in the region is estimated to make Asia Pacific a lucrative market for HCCI globally.
Key Players Operating in HCCI Market
The global HCCI market is moderately consolidated. A few of the key players operating in the global HCCI market are:
- Audi AG
- Daimler AG
- Ford Motor Company
- General Motors
- Hyundai Motor Company
- Mazda Motor Corporation
- Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC
- Nissan Motor Co., Ltd
- Robert Bosch GmbH
- Volkswagen AG
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF Brochure of this report
Global Automotive Perception Sensor Mark: Research Scope
Global HCCI Market, by Type
- Two-Stroke HCCI Engine
- Four-Stroke HCCI Engine
Global HCCI Market, by Vehicle Type
- Passenger Vehicle
- Commercial Vehicle
Global HCCI Market, by Sales Channel
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!