Automotive R-EPS Steering Market: Introduction
- Based on the position of the assist motor, the four types of electric power steering systems are column assist type (C-EPS), the pinion assist type (P-EPS), the direct drive type (D-EPS), and the rack assist type (R-EPS)
- The R-EPS steering has a motor and controller usually located parallel to the rack or at the interface between rack and steering column in the engine compartment. R-EPS systems are best suited for use on mid to full-sized vehicles due to their relatively low inertia from high reduction gear ratio and high rack force, ranging between 9 and 16 kN.
Key Drivers of Automotive R-EPS Steering Market
- Issues with C-EPS or P-EPS are because the motor is placed on the steering axis; vibrations from the motor are directly transmitted to the steering wheel, and the driver’s steering inputs are not linearly communicated to tires. This leads to vehicle accidents. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) of the U.S. stated that in first nine months of 2020, traffic fatalities rose 4.6% as compared to the last year even though the miles driven per vehicle were less by 14.5%. These factors have raised concerns about vehicle safety. Automakers are consistently developing their vehicle models with safety as the major focus. The R-EPS provides improved steering performance for vehicles with higher axle loads and also optimizes space in the engine compartment due to its compactness and placement. Thus, growing safety concerns are fueling the global automotive R-EPS steering market.
- Awareness about the environment is rising, as emission from vehicles are significantly degrading air quality worldwide. International Energy Agency states that transportation is responsible for 24% of direct CO2 emissions from fuel combustion. It also states that emissions from trucks and buses have risen by around 2.6% annually in the last decade. Regulatory agencies of various countries have imposed stringent emission norms due to these growing concerns about transportation emissions. Consequently, automakers are integrating new electrically powered steering systems in their vehicles, which reduce the load on engine, provide more ease in driving, and comply with emission standards. The R-EPS steering system, due to its high assist force, enables drivers of heavy vehicles to steer easily. Moreover, they reduce the load on engine as compared to hydraulic power steering, which in turn decreases pollution. Therefore, a rise in the need for emission reduction is boosting the global automotive R-EPS steering market.
Challenges in Automotive R-EPS Steering Market
- The R-EPS steering system employs several additional components such as an electric hollow shaft motor and sensors. These additional components increase the cost of the steering system, which in turn reflects on the price of the vehicle. Furthermore, the maintenance and repair of such systems becomes complicated, which hampers the global automotive R-EPS steering market.
Impact of COVID-19 pandemic on Automotive R-EPS Steering Market
- The COVID-19 pandemic disrupted automotive supply chains, thus creating a shortage of raw materials and components. This disruption has negatively impacted the global automotive R-EPS steering market. Chip shortage has also resulted in a reduction in production of vehicles, which further hampered the demand for R-EPS steering systems. However, as the COVID-19 pandemic is getting under control in the U.S., Canada, and many other countries, business activities are being restored to normal, which is boosting the sale of vehicles and consequently, driving the demand for automotive R-EPS steering systems.
North America and Europe to Hold Significant Share of Automotive R-EPS Steering Market
- Governments in North America and Europe have strengthened their regulations related to safety of drivers and mandated some levels of advance driver assistance system (ADAS) in vehicles. This has boosted the adoption of electric power steering systems in all class of vehicles in these regions. Hence, North America and Europe account for a significant share of the global automotive R-EPS steering market.
Key Players Operating in Automotive R-EPS Steering Market
The global automotive R-EPS steering market is highly concentrated due to the presence of top manufacturers. A few of the key players operating in the automotive R-EPS steering market are:
- Beijing Jingwei Hirain Technologies Co., Inc.
- Deco Automotive CO., LTD
- HEllA KgaA Hueck & Co.
- Hitachi Automotive Systems Ltd.
- JTEKT Corporation
- Mando Corp.
- Nexteer Automotive
- Robert Bosch GmbH
- SHOWA CORPORATION
- thyssenkrupp AG
- ZF Friedrichshafen AG
Global Automotive R-EPS Steering Market: Research Scope
Global Automotive R-EPS Steering Market, by Component
Global Automotive R-EPS Steering Market, by Drive
Global Automotive R-EPS Steering Market, by Vehicle Type
- Passenger Vehicle
- Light Commercial Vehicle
- Heavy Commercial Vehicle
Global Automotive R-EPS Steering Market, by Sales Channel
Global Automotive R-EPS Steering Market, by Region
- North America
- Nordic Region
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!