Automotive Emission Control Devices: Introduction
- Strict and stringent regulatory norms are being enforced worldwide since the signing of The Paris Agreement in 2016 to fight climate change; for instance, adoption of Bharat Stage-VI Emission Standards in India, Euro Standards in Europe, National Ambient Air Quality Standards in the U.S., etc.
- Air pollution is a major contributor to climate change. According to the Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) USA, heavy vehicles comprise approximately 5% of the total number of vehicles globally and are responsible for more than 25% of the total emission. These emit CO, CO2, NO2, hydrocarbons, etc. These gases are harmful for the environment and leading to climate change. Emission control devices convert harmful emissions into non-hazardous gases and then release them into the atmosphere. The rise in demand for emission control devices can be attributed to their mandatory installation in vehicles as per government regulations. This indicates higher requirement for advanced technologies involving emission control devices.
Key Drivers of Global Automotive Emission Control Devices Market
- According to the U.S. EPA, the U.S. accounts for 30% of the world’s on-road vehicles that contribute 50% to the world’s total vehicle emissions. In 2008, China became the highest CO2 emitter, followed by the U.S., EU, India, and Russia. In 2016, post the Paris agreement, these countries have taken initiatives to reduce CO2, NO2, and other emissions to fight climate change. In order to achieve control over emissions caused by vehicles, there is an increase in demand for new and more effective emission control devices and technologies. For instance, nowadays, vehicles are equipped with several IoT devices powered by Artificial Intelligence (AI). The development of electric emission control devices powered by such systems can be considered as a growth opportunity.
- Emissions are directly proportional to fuel consumption. For instance, a diesel car emits 95 g CO2 per 3.7 liters of diesel per 100 km, while petrol car emits same amount of CO2 per 4 liters of petrol per 100 km. Hence, emission control devices are used to improve fuel efficiency while reducing emissions.
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF Brochure of this report
Conventional Vehicles Need Emission Control Devices
- Conventional vehicles use gasoline and diesel as fuel and are one of the key contributors of CO2, NO2 emissions causing air pollution. Regulatory authorities have laid down regulatory norms and pollution control policies on use of old technologies in conventional vehicles in order to curb air pollution.
- Emission control devices help reduce harmful emissions from conventional vehicles
Concept of Shared Vehicles to Hamper Market
- Vehicle sharing platforms, such as UberPOOL, Lyft, etc., allow passengers to share a vehicle with other passengers. OEMs have collaborated with companies, including Mobileye and Uber, among others, in order to develop and launch autonomous vehicles, which will be driverless and allow car sharing. The number of individual vehicle sales, owing to cheaper traveling offered by car sharing is expected to decrease. These factors are likely to hamper the automotive emission control devices market.
Asia Pacific to Hold Major Share of Global Automotive Emission Control Devices Market
- Asia Pacific is a leading manufacturer and consumer of automobiles in the world. According to the data published in 2018 by OICA, Asia Pacific countries such as China, Japan, and India are account for more than 30% share of global vehicle sales. Moreover, rapid urbanization and increase in purchasing power of consumers in the region are driving the automotive emission control devices in Asia Pacific.
- Rise in FDIs in automotive and construction industries in developing economies of Asia Pacific is likely to fuel the market growth in the region during the forecast period
- Need for vehicle emission control devices in the U.S. can be attributed to the growth in the number of vehicles in the U.S., as the country is second highest in terms of sales, according to annual sale report by OICA 2018.
- Automotive emission control devices market in Middle East & Africa is estimated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period. This can be attributed to increasing investments in construction and automotive industries in the region.
- Sale of luxury and premium vehicles is expected to rise in the region, owing to economic development and high purchasing power of consumers in countries such as Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and the UAE
Looking for Regional Analysis or Competitive Landscape in automotive emission control devices market, ask for a customized report
Key Players Operating in Global Market:
The automotive emission control devices market is highly concentrated with top manufacturers. Some of the key players operating in the automotive emission control devices market are:
- Denso Corporation
- Johnson Matthey (UK)
- Eberspacher Climate Control Systems GmbH & Co. (Germany)
- Futaba Industrial Co. Ltd.
- BASF SE
- CDTi Advances Materials Inc
- Clariant AG
- Corning Incorporated
- Tenneco Inc.
Global Automotive Emission Control Devices Market: Research Scope
Global Automotive Emission Control Devices Market, by Vehicle Type
- Passenger Vehicle
- Commercial Vehicle
- Bus & Coach
Global Automotive Emission Control Devices Market, by Propulsion Engine
- Petrol Engine
- Diesel Engine
Global Automotive Emission Control Devices Market, by Technology
- Thermal Management
Global Automotive Emission Control Devices Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.