Prepaid Battery Recycling Market: Introduction
- Battery recycling process can be defined as a reprocessing practice aimed to reduce the number of batteries being disposed as municipal solid waste
- These batteries contain several poisonous chemicals and heavy metals. Disposal of these batteries as regular trash deteriorates the ground water and causes contamination of the soil.
- Battery recycling units sort batteries according to their type, chemistry, and size. They provide end-of-life management of batteries, from collection to recycling, in a compliant manner with respect to the environmental regulations.
- Prepaid battery recycling can be considered a prepaid service, wherein scrap batteries are recycled in prepaid recycling facilities. By-products derived from the battery recycling process are further utilized in different industries such as electric vehicles and mobile phone manufacturing.
Key Drivers of Prepaid Battery Recycling Market
- Lead acid batteries have been accounting for major share of the prepaid battery recycling market since the last few years. More than 50% of the lead supply comes from recycled batteries. Automotive industries have contributed significantly to the battery recycling market, as lead is used in a number of car components including lead wheel weights, solder in electronics, and lead car batteries. Thus, an increase in quantity of lead is expected to be required due to the growth of the automobile sector. This is anticipated to drive the prepaid battery recycling market.
- The global drive to replace existing petrol and diesel vehicles with new electric vehicles (EV) has been experiencing significant growth since the last few years. According to a Canada-based battery recycling startup Li-Cycle, the transition toward electric vehicle could leave 11 million tons of spent lithium-ion batteries for recycling by the end of 2030. This is estimated to create ample opportunities for new entrants in the prepaid battery recycling market.
- Stringent environmental regulations imposed by local and national governments around the world for disposal and reuse of batteries have spurred the need of prepaid battery recycling
- Increase in extraction of raw materials such as iron, lead, copper manganese, nickel, and chromium is also boosting the demand for prepaid battery recycling services
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF sample of this report
Restraints of Prepaid Battery Recycling Market
- Many underdeveloped countries have opened dedicated recycling units of late. This has limited the supply of batteries for prepaid recycling in developed countries.
- Unorganized recycling of batteries through manual labor, lack of usage of personal protective equipment (PPE) while carrying lead, and lack of awareness about disposal methods are expected to hinder the prepaid battery recycling market
- On November 07, 2019, TES, an electronic waste recycling company operating in Singapore, opened two new battery recycling units. According to the company, these units are expected to offer the highest commodity recovery rates in the recycling industry for lithium, cobalt, copper and aluminum.
- On March 2019, Volkswagen announced that it is opening a new pilot recycling project near its global headquarters in Wolfsburg, Germany. The project will start by end of year 2020. The company also revealed that the plant intake would be around 1,200 tons of used automotive lithium ion battery packs a year. Volkswagen aims to recycle almost 97% of all the raw materials used in the battery packs over the next 10 years. This move is anticipate to help the company drive the sale its new EVs.
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report
Asia Pacific Expected to Offer Major Potential for Global Prepaid Battery Recycling Market
- Based on region, the global prepaid battery recycling market can be classified into North America, Asia Pacific, Europe, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific continues to be the key dominant region of the prepaid battery recycling market in terms of generation of scrap batteries. It is expected to offer lucrative opportunities for new entrants, as China alone produces more than 3.3 million tons of waste lead and other batteries ever year. China recycled around 67,000 tons of waste lead batteries at its dedicated battery recycling units in 2018.
- Various industrial leaders such as Tata Chemicals and Mahindra Electric plan to enter the recycling market. These companies plan to set up recycling units in the near future. Most of the lead in India is imported from South Korea and the U.S. According to a recent market research report, India is estimated to account for recycled lithium-ion battery capacity of 23GWh by the end of 2030.
- Recycling is carried out as a waste disposal activity in North America and Europe. Companies are paid to recycle their own waste products.
- The prepaid battery recycling market in Middle East & Africa is expected to expand due to the expansion in automotive and industrial sectors in the region. Most OEM companies prefer branded batteries; however, unorganized players are predominant in the replacement market.
Key Players Operating in Prepaid Battery Recycling Market
Major players operating in the global prepaid battery recycling market include:
- Battery Solutions
- Retriev Technologies
- Gravita India Ltd.
- Exide Technologies
- East Penn Manufacturing
- COM2 Recycling Solutions
- ENGITEC TECHNOLOGIES
- Vinton Batteries
- The Doe Run Company
- Johnson Controls
Global Prepaid Battery Recycling Market, by Product type
- Lead Acid
- Lithium Ion
- Nickel Cadmium
- Nickel-Metal Hydride
Global Prepaid Battery Recycling Market, by Application
- Material Extraction
- Reuse or Second Life
Global Prepaid Battery Recycling Market, by Source
- Consumer Electronics
Global Prepaid Battery Recycling Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.