Prepaid Battery Recycling Market: Overview
- Battery recycling process can be defined as a reprocessing practice aimed to reduce the number of batteries being disposed as municipal solid waste
- Batteries contain several poisonous chemicals and heavy metals. Disposal of these batteries as regular trash deteriorates the ground water and causes contamination of the soil
- Battery recycling units sort batteries according to their type, chemistry, and size. They provide end-of-life management of batteries, from collection to recycling, in compliance with the environmental regulations.
- Prepaid battery recycling can be considered a prepaid service, wherein scrap batteries are recycled in prepaid recycling facilities. By-products derived from the battery recycling process are further used in different industries such as electric vehicles and mobile phone manufacturing.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Prepaid Battery Recycling Market
- Lead acid batteries have been accounting for major share of the prepaid battery recycling market since the last few years. More than 50% of the lead supply comes from recycled batteries. Automotive industry contributes significantly to the battery recycling market, as lead is used in a number of car components including lead wheel weights, solder in electronics, and lead car batteries. Large quantity of lead is expected to be required due to the growth of the automobile sector. This is anticipated to drive the prepaid battery recycling market.
- The global drive to replace existing petrol and diesel vehicles with new electric vehicles (EV) has been experiencing significant growth since the last few years. According to a Canada-based battery recycling startup Li-Cycle, the transition toward electric vehicle could leave 11 million tons of spent lithium-ion batteries for recycling by the end of 2030. This is estimated to create ample opportunities for new entrants in the prepaid battery recycling market.
- Stringent environmental regulations imposed by local and national governments around the world for disposal and reuse of batteries are boosting the need for prepaid battery recycling
- Increase in extraction of raw materials such as iron, lead, copper manganese, nickel, and chromium is also boosting the demand for prepaid battery recycling services
- Many underdeveloped countries have opened dedicated recycling units of late. This has limited the supply of batteries for prepaid recycling in developed countries.
- Unorganized recycling of batteries through manual labor, lack of usage of personal protective equipment (PPE) while carrying lead, and lack of awareness about disposal methods are expected to hinder the prepaid battery recycling market
Global Prepaid Battery Recycling Market: Segmentation
- The global prepaid battery recycling market can be segmented based on product type, application, and source
- In terms of product type, the global prepaid battery recycling market can be divided into lead acid, lithium ion, nickel cadmium, nickel-metal hydride, and others. The lithium ion segment is expected to expand at a higher CAGR during the forecast period.
- In terms of application, the prepaid battery recycling market can be segregated into material extraction, reuse or second life, disposal, and others. The reuse or second life segment is estimated to hold major share of the global prepaid battery recycling market in the near future.
- In terms of source, the prepaid battery recycling market can be classified into consumer electronics, automotive, industrial, marine, and others. The automotive segment is anticipated to expand at a higher CAGR in the next few years.
Global Prepaid Battery Recycling Market: Regional Segmentation
- In terms of region, the global prepaid battery recycling market can be split into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific continues to be the key region of the prepaid battery recycling market in terms of generation of scrap batteries. It is expected to offer lucrative opportunities for new entrants. China alone recycled over 60 tons of lithium-ion batteries procured from EV waste in 2019.
- Various industrial leaders such as Tata Chemicals and Mahindra Electric plan to enter the recycling market. These companies plan to set up recycling units in the near future. Most of the lead in India is imported from South Korea and the U.S. According to a recent market research report, India is estimated to account for recycled lithium-ion battery capacity of 23GWh by the end of 2030.
- Recycling is carried out as a waste disposal activity in North America and Europe. Companies are paid to recycle their own waste products.
- The prepaid battery recycling market in Middle East & Africa is expected to expand due to the expansion in automotive and industrial sectors in the region. Most OEM companies prefer branded batteries; however, unorganized players are predominant in the replacement market.
COVID-19 Impact on Global Prepaid Battery Recycling Market
- The COVID-19 pandemic has adversely affected the global prepaid battery recycling market. Automotive and consumer electronics industries suffered temporary shut down during the lockdowns. Measures such as social distancing have also impacted operations. However, demand for prepaid battery recycling in automotive and consumer electronics industries across the globe is likely to recover quickly in the near future.
Key Players in Market
The global prepaid battery recycling market has a highly competitive landscape. Prominent players operating in the prepaid battery recycling market include:
- Battery Solutions
- Retriev Technologies
- Gravita India Ltd.
- Exide Technologies
- East Penn Manufacturing
- COM2 Recycling Solutions
- ENGITEC TECHNOLOGIES
- Vinton Batteries
- The Doe Run Company
- Johnson Controls
Global Prepaid Battery Recycling Market: Research Scope
Global Prepaid Battery Recycling Market, by Product type
- Lead Acid
- Lithium Ion
- Nickel Cadmium
- Nickel-metal Hydride
Global Prepaid Battery Recycling Market, by Application
- Material Extraction
- Reuse or Second Life
Global Prepaid Battery Recycling Market, by Source
- Consumer Electronics
Global Prepaid Battery Recycling Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
With a robust experience in creating exceptional market reports, Transparency Market Research has emerged as one of the trusted market research companies among a large number of stakeholders and CXOs. Every report at Transparency Market Research goes through rigorous research activity in every aspect. The researchers at TMR keep a close watch on the market and extract beneficial growth-boosting points. These points help the stakeholders to strategize their business plans accordingly.
TMR researchers conduct exhaustive qualitative and quantitative research. This research involves taking inputs from the experts in the market, focused attention on recent developments, and others. This method of research makes TMR stand out from other market research firms.
Here's how Transparency Market Research helps the stakeholders and CXOs through the reports:
Inculcation and Evaluation of Strategic Collaborations: The TMR researchers analyze recent strategic activities like mergers, acquisitions, partnerships, collaborations, and joint ventures. All the information is compiled and included in the report.
Perfect Market Size Estimations: The report analyzes the demographics, growth potential, and capability of the market through the forecast period. This factor leads to the estimation of the market size and also provides an outline about how the market will retrieve growth during the assessment period.
Investment Research: The report focuses on the ongoing and upcoming investment opportunities across a particular market. These developments make the stakeholders aware of the current investment scenario across the market.
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.