Marine Battery: Introduction
- Marine batteries are designed particularly for use on boats or powerboats with heavier plates and robust construction, designed to withstand vibration and pounding. Marine batteries last longer and are more reliable.
- The various types of marine batteries available in the market include fully electric batteries, hybrid batteries, conventional starting batteries, deep-cycle batteries, dual-purpose batteries, lead-acid batteries, lithium batteries, fuel cell batteries, solid-state batteries, and flow batteries. These are used in the commercial sector, and defense sector, among others.
- Implementation of the Sulfur 2020 rule, a growing maritime tourism industry, increasing conversion of propulsion systems in passenger vessels, growing seaborne trade across the world, strict government carbon emission policies, and development of lithium batteries are the factors anticipated to fuel the growth of the marine battery market.
- Marine batteries are more expensive than automotive batteries. Some boat owners purchase automobile batteries instead of marine batteries, which is a major restraint of the marine battery market.
Rise in Demand for Fully Electric Marine Batteries
- By propulsion type, the fully electric segment is expected to be the fastest growing segment in the marine battery market during the forecast period due to fully electric marine battery ships having a positive impact on the environment as the inclusion of high energy storage in batteries and optimized power control can reduce fuel consumption, emissions, and maintenance.
- The rising demand for fully electric marine batteries for fully electric small and medium passenger and cargo ships is driving the growth of the fully electric marine battery market.
- The dual-purpose marine batteries segment is expected to see the second largest market growth rate during the forecast period. Marine dual-purpose batteries combine the performance of starting batteries and deep-cycle batteries. Such batteries are majorly used by ships that have space for two or more batteries and these batteries are formed with active lead paste chemistry, which supports them in tolerating deep discharges.
- Japan, New Zealand, Australia, China, and Norway are moving toward using battery propelled fully electric and hybrid technology ferries for passenger transport.
- The global leader in marine batteries, Corvus Energy, signed a contract with Westcon Power & Automation for the supply of a lithium-ion battery-based energy storage system (ESS) for a new hybrid coastal cargo vessel being built for Arriva Shipping at Dayang Offshore Equipment in China in March 2020. This contract helps the company to strengthen its relationship with Westcon Power & Automation.
Europe to Lead the Marine Battery Market
- In terms of region, the global marine battery market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Middle East & Africa, and South America.
- Europe is expected to witness highest growth in the marine battery market throughout the forecast period due to a growing shipbuilding industry in Europe contributing to the demand for ships with hybrid propulsion batteries in the region.
- Moreover, growing investment in the electrification of ships and the restructuring efforts undertaken by ship manufacturing companies are additional factors driving the growth of the marine battery market in Europe.
- The European Union has come up with regulations on CO2 emissions and the presence of sulfur in fuel. Additionally, strict government policies restricting carbon emission is also likely to drive the marine battery market in Europe during the forecast period.
- The marine battery market in North America and Asia Pacific are expected to expand at a substantial rate during the forecast period. On the other hand, the market in Middle East & Africa and South America is estimated to expand at a moderate pace during the forecast period.
Key Players Operating in the Global Marine Battery Market
The global marine battery market was highly fragmented in 2019. Major players operating in the global market are focusing on technological advancements and expansion to meet the rising demand for marine batteries. Moreover, manufacturers are undertaking mergers and acquisitions for the development of innovative products.
Key players operating in the global marine battery market include:
- Corvus Energy
- Akasol AG
- Spear Power Systems
- Echandia Marine
- Sterling PBES Energy Solutions
- Furukawa Battery Solutions
- Lithium Werks
- Exide Technologies
- Craftsman Marine
- Power Tech System
- Kokam Co. Ltd.
- Toshiba Corporation
- XALT Energy
- Ever Exceed Industrial Co. Ltd
- U.S. Battery
- Lifeline Batteries
- Forsee Power
Global Marine Battery Market: Research Scope
Global Marine Battery Market, by Propulsion Type
- Fully Electric
Global Marine Battery Market, by Application
Global Marine Battery Market, by Battery Type
- Fuel Cell
Global Marine Battery Market, by Battery Function
- Starting Batteries
- Deep-cycle Batteries
- Dual-purpose Batteries
Global Marine Battery Market, by Battery Design
- Solid-state Batteries
- Flow Batteries
Global Marine Battery Market, by Ship Range
- <50 KM
- 50–100 KM
- 100–1,000 KM
- >1,000 KM
Global Marine Battery Market, by Ship Power
- <75 KW
- 75–150 KW
- 150–745 KW
- 745–7,560 KW
- >7,560 KW
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!