Medical Device Cleaning Market
Medical Device Cleaning Market (Product: Detergents and Chemicals; Process: Manual Cleaning and Automatic Cleaning; Application: Surgical Instruments, Ultrasound Probes, Endoscopes, and Others) - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2019 - 2027
Press Release :
Increase in Number of Hospital-acquired Infections to Augment Market
Within the healthcare sector, reprocessing of ‘single-use’ devices has become mainstream across hospitals and clinics as a measure to reduce costs. However, while reprocessing enables healthcare providers to reduce costs, there is a downside to it– the risk of cross-contamination and pathogen infection. The number of hospital-acquired infections (HAI) has increased at a steady pace across the global healthcare sector and thus, medical device cleaning processes have garnered significant attention from regulatory bodies. At present, medical device manufacturers are increasingly focusing on providing robust guidelines and manuals that offer insights regarding sterilization, disinfection, and cleaning of ‘single-use’ medical devices. Thus, medical device cleaning validations have become an integral part of the reprocessing validation cycle. Moreover, it also assures that medical devices can be cleaned and sterilized by adhering to the medical device manufacturer’s instruction for use (IFU).
While the prevalence of hospital acquired infections continues to grow across ambulatory clinics, surgical centers, hospitals, etc., the medical device cleaning market has also gained notable momentum. In the current scenario, in the U.S., guidelines provided by The American Society of Testing and Materials (ASTM) related to medical device cleaning are applicable, which predominantly focus on equipment design, documentation, sampling, analytical techniques, procedures, etc. Owing to these developments in the healthcare sector concerning medical device cleaning, the medical device cleaning market is projected to reach a value of ~US$ 3.2 Bn by the end of 2020.
To know the scope of our report Get a Sample on Point-of-Care Medical Device Cleaning Market
Automatic Cleaning Process Gains Popularity
Scientific advancements in therapeutic and diagnostic medicine have triggered the production of cutting-edge reusable medical devices. However, due to the risk of cross-contamination and a range of other infections, medical device manufacturers have the responsibility to validate their product label claims as far as reusability is concerned. Label guidelines require approval from the Food and Drug Association (FDA) to ensure the overall efficacy and safety of the provided guidelines. The efficacy of the guidelines primarily depends on the markers utilized to soil the devices prior to cleaning. Some of the most commonly used markers include hemoglobin and protein.
Get a glimpse of the in-depth analysis through our Report Brochure
Medical device cleaning techniques have evolved over the years and are one of the most critical stages in the reprocessing of reusable medical devices. Cleaning techniques are primarily segregated into manual and automatic processes. Manual medical device cleaning processes are largely deployed to clean highly complex and delicate medical devices, such as lensed instruments, microsurgical devices, and flexible endoscopes among others. Automated cleaning techniques are predominantly used when other cleaning techniques prove to be ineffective, to prevent soiling of crevices, joints, lumens, and other parts of a medical device. Within the medical device cleaning market, the automatic cleaning process segment is estimated to reach a value of ~US$ 2 Bn and account for ~63% share of the medical device cleaning market by the end of 2020. The automatic cleaning process segment is also projected to expand at a higher CAGR than manual cleaning process segment during the forecast period (2019-2027).
Focus on Guide Approvals and Product Launches Gain Momentum in Medical Device Cleaning Market
The American Society of Testing and Material is an important regulatory body that is responsible for the approval of new standards for medical device cleaning. Testing laboratories, regulatory agencies, and medical device manufacturers are required to comply with these standards. In the medical device cleaning market, attaining approval from the ASTM for new standards has gained significant momentum in recent times. For instance, in November 2019, the ASTM approved a list of new standards wherein the effectiveness of new medical device cleaning procedures is thoroughly evaluated. Additionally, the newly curated guide will largely focus on the extraction process of test soils to verify new cleaning methods. According to a member of the ATSM, approval of new standards is a crucial step in the overall process of validating cleaning instructions.
Stakeholders in the medical device cleaning market are also focusing their efforts on the launch of new medical device cleaning products. For instance, in April 2019, DuPont launched a medical device cleaning bio-based enzyme – OPTIMASE. The product, which is part of the company’s new product range is primarily developed to provide optimum cleaning efficiency in medical devices.
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report
The medical device cleaning market is estimated to grow at a CAGR of ~5% during the forecast period. A significant rise in the number of hospital-acquired infections is a leading factor that has increased brought medical device cleaning at the forefront in the past couple of decades. Moreover, as medical device manufacturers are required to provide guidelines and standards for cleaning, sterilization, etc., the market for medical device cleaning is expected to witness significant growth in the coming years. Automatic cleaning processes will remain popular during the forecast period despite steady adoption of manual cleaning processes. Product launches and mergers & acquisitions are likely to become common in the medical device cleaning market landscape.
Medical Device Cleaning Market: Overview
- According to the latest report published by Transparency Market Research on the global medical device cleaning market for the historical period 2017–2018 and forecast period from 2019 to 2027, a surge in the number of surgeries is projected to be a major driver of the global medical device cleaning market during the forecast period
- The global medical device cleaning market was valued at ~US$ 8 Bn in 2018. It is expected to expand at a CAGR of ~5% from 2019 to 2027.
- This report analyzes the current and future scenario of the global medical device cleaning market
- The global medical device cleaning market report comprises an elaborate executive summary, which includes a snapshot that provides information about various segments of the market. It also provides information and data analysis of the global medical device cleaning market with respect to the segments based on product, process, application and region.
- A detailed qualitative analysis of drivers, restraints, and opportunities of the global medical device cleaning market has been provided in the overview section. Additionally, the section comprises competitive matrix and company profiles along with business overview to understand the competitive landscape in the global medical device cleaning market.
- This section of the report also provides market attractiveness analysis by region and market share analysis by key players, thereby presenting a thorough analysis of the overall competitive scenario in the global medical device cleaning market
Medical Device Cleaning Market: Key Drivers
- Surge in number of surgeries
- According to the latest data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, around 51 million inpatient surgical procedures were performed in the U.S., alone, in 2017, followed closely by outpatient surgeries
- According to the annual plastic surgery procedural statistics, 17.5 million surgical and minimally invasive cosmetic procedures were performed in the U.S. in 2017, a 2% increase over that in 2016
- Minimally invasive cosmetic procedures increased at a slightly higher rate than surgical procedures in 2017
- Increase in the number of surgeries, globally, is anticipated to boost the demand for medical devices cleaning agents, such as detergents and disinfectants, during the forecast period, as various chemical disinfectants such as aldehydes, hydrogen peroxide, alcohol, chlorine-based disinfectants, peracetic acid, and quaternary ammonium compounds are used extensively in the disinfection of medical devices.
- Increase in incidence of hospital-acquired/associated infections (HAI)
- Healthcare-associated infections (also termed as nosocomial infections) are defined as infections (fungal and bacterial) that patients acquire during the course of their stay in hospitals
- Hospital-acquired infection (HAIs) is a significant cause of mortality across the world. According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, one in every 20 infections is HAI in the U.S.
- Post-operative sepsis, catheter-associated urinary tract infection, pneumonia, and blood stream infections are major types of HAIs in adults
- According to a report published by WHO, of every 100 hospitalized patients at any given time, 7 in developed and 10 in developing countries will acquire at least one health care-associated infection
- Increase in incidence of various HAIs is projected to propel the utilization of medical device cleaning and disinfection agents across the globe
Medical Device Cleaning Market: Key Segments
- In terms of product, the global medical device cleaning market has been categorized into chemicals and detergents. Furthermore, the chemicals segment has been sub-segmented into aldehydes, hydrogen peroxide, alcohol, chlorine based disinfectant, peracetic acid, quaternary ammonium compounds, and others.
- In terms of process, the global market for medical device cleaning has been classified into manual cleaning and automatic cleaning
- Based on application, the global market for medical devices cleaning has been split into surgical instruments, ultrasound probes, endoscopes, and others.
- The market size and forecast for each of the segments have been provided in terms of US$ Mn from 2017 to 2027, along with their respective CAGRs for the forecast period from 2019 to 2027, considering 2018 as the base year
Medical Device Cleaning Market: Regional Outlook
- In terms of geography, the global medical device cleaning market has been segmented into four major regions: North America (the U.S. and Canada), Europe (the U.K., Germany, France, Spain, Italy, and Rest of Europe), Japan, Rest of the world (India, China, Australia & New Zealand, Brazil, Rest of Latin America, and Middle East & Africa)
- The market size and forecast for each of these regions and the mentioned countries/sub-regions have been provided for the period from 2017 to 2027, along with their respective CAGRs for the forecast period from 2019 to 2027, considering 2018 as the base year. The research study also covers the competitive scenario in these regions.
Companies Mentioned in Report
- The report also profiles following mentioned major players in the global medical device cleaning market based on various attributes such as company overview, financial overview, treatment types, business strategies, and recent developments. Key companies include:
- Getinge AB
- Cantel Medical Corp.
- STERIS plc.
- Fortive Corporation
- Oro Clean Chemie AG
- Ruhof Corporation
- Ecolab Inc
Medical Device Cleaning Market – Scope of the Report
TMR’s report on the global medical device cleaning market studies the past as well as current growth trends and opportunities to gain valuable insights of the same indicators for the market during the forecast period from 2019 to 2027. The report provides the revenue of the global medical device cleaning market for the period 2017–2027, considering 2018 as the base year and 2027 as the forecast year. The report also provides the compound annual growth rate (CAGR) for the global medical device cleaning market for the forecast period.
The report has been prepared after an extensive research. Primary research involved bulk of research efforts, wherein analysts carried out interviews with industry leaders and opinion makers. Extensive secondary research involved referring to key players’ product literature, annual reports, press releases, and relevant documents to understand the global medical device cleaning market.
Secondary research also included internet sources, statistical data from government agencies, websites, and trade associations. Analysts have also employed a combination of top-down and bottom-up approaches to study various phenomena in the global medical device cleaning market.
The report includes an elaborate executive summary, along with a snapshot of the growth behavior of various segments and sub-segments included in the scope of the study. Additionally, the report sheds light on the changing competitive dynamics in the global medical device cleaning market. These indices serve as valuable tools for existing market players as well as for entities interested in participating in the global medical device cleaning market. The next section of the global medical device cleaning report highlights the USPs, which include drivers & restraints impact analysis, value chain analysis, medical device cleaning: key mergers & acquisitions, medical device cleaning: guidelines for disinfection and sterilization in healthcare Top 3 players operating in the market for medical device cleaning, and qualitative analysis of product.
The report analyzes the global medical device cleaning market in terms of product, process, application, and region. Key segments under each criteria have been studied at length, and the market share for each of these at the end of 2027 has been provided. These valuable insights would help market stakeholders in making informed business decisions for investments in the medical device cleaning market.
Key Questions Answered in Medical Device Cleaning Market Report
- What is the sales/revenue generated by different medical device cleaning products across all the regions during the forecast period?
- What are the major drivers, restraints, and opportunities in the market?
- Which region is set to expand at the fastest CAGR during the forecast period?
- Which segment will have the highest revenue globally in 2027 and which product will expand at the fastest CAGR during the forecast period?
Medical Device Cleaning Market – Research Objectives and Research Approach
The comprehensive report on the global medical device cleaning market begins with an overview of the market, followed by the scope and objectives of the study. Following this, the report provides detailed explanation of the objectives of the study and health care compliances laid down by accredited agencies in the purview of research in the global medical device cleaning market. It is followed by market introduction, market dynamics, and an overview of the global medical device cleaning market, which includes TMR analysis of market drivers, restraints, and trends affecting the growth of the market. Furthermore, Y-o-Y analysis with elaborate insights has been provided to understand the Y-o-Y trends of the medical device cleaning market. For reading comprehensibility, the report has been compiled in a chapter-wise layout, with each section further divided into small sections. The entire report comprises an exhaustive collection of graphs and tables that are appropriately interspersed in the entire compilation. Pictorial representation of actual and projected values of key segments is visually appealing to readers. This also allows comparison of the market shares of key segments in the past and at the end of the forecast period.
Revenue generated by key medical device cleaning agent manufacturers has been mapped to ascertain the size of the global medical device cleaning market in terms of value. The forecast presented here assesses the total revenue generated by detergents and chemicals. In order to provide an accurate forecast, we initiated by sizing up the current medical device cleaning market.
The report also delves into the competitive landscape of the global medical device cleaning market. Key players operating in the global medical device cleaning treatment market have been identified, and each one of these has been profiled for their distinguishing business attributes. Company overview, financial standings, recent developments, and SWOT are some of the attributes of players profiled in the global medical device cleaning treatment market report. Key players operating in the global medical device cleaning market include 3M, Getinge AB, Cantel Medical Corp., STERIS plc., Fortive Corporation, Oro Clean Chemie AG, Ruhof Corporation, Ecolab Inc., and Dr. Weigert.
Medical Device Cleaning Market – Segmentation