Sterilization Market: Introduction
- Sterilization technologies are techniques for removal of all viable life forms such as bacteria, prions, viruses, fungi, and spore from surfaces such as equipment, medicines, drugs, food ingredients, and biological culture medium. Various sterilization techniques and equipment have emerged to enhance sterilization in order to meet the needs of a number of products in various industries. Majority of products in the health care and medical device industries undergo terminal sterilization.
- Critical medical devices are those that come in contact with sterile body tissues or fluids. Because microbiological contamination could result in disease transmission, these devices should be used sterile. Surgical equipment, biopsy forceps, and implanted medical devices are examples of such items. If these products are heat resistant, steam sterilization is recommended, as it provides the highest safety margin owing to its uniformity, reliability, and lethality. Reprocessing heat- and moisture-sensitive products, on the other hand, necessitates the use of a low-temperature sterilizing technology (e.g., ethylene oxide, hydrogen peroxide gas plasma, and peracetic acid).
Key Drivers, Restrains, and Opportunities of Global Sterilization Market
- The global sterilization market is driven by implementation of stringent norms regarding the maintenance of quality of food products, triggered by the rise in demand for food supply and increase in preference for exotic fruits and vegetables across the globe. Strict medical safety and infection control regulations leading to rise in public awareness also contribute to the growth of the global market.
- Rise in prevalence of hospital acquired infections (HAIs) due to lack of sanitation and preventive measures is projected to drive the global market during the forecast period. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that HAIs cause 1.7 million infections and 99,000 deaths per year in hospitals in the U.S. alone. This is anticipated to propel the demand for sterilization equipment. Sterilization equipment is essential for the sterilization and cleaning of various hospital equipment, as it helps in the prevention of infections and spread of diseases.
- However, high sterilizing technology installation and utility costs, increase in regulatory requirements, and introduction of disposable devices including bandages, syringes, sutures, and gowns restrain the global market. Government initiatives to encourage the uptake of essential sterilization standards in hospitals and ambulatory surgical centers (ASCs) are expected to boost the growth of the global market.
- The global sterilization technology industry has witnessed significant growth due to the COVID-19 outbreak. Demand for advanced health care systems, infrastructure, and better services to treat patients has increased during the pandemic. Several companies have stepped up to accommodate this growing need and offer sustainable solutions in order to reduce the spread of COVID-19 across the world.
North America to Capture Major Share of Global Sterilization Market
- North America is anticipated to account for major share of the global sterilization market during the forecast period. Increase in number of surgical procedures and rise in demand for non-disposable surgical equipment boost the growth of the market in the region. Large consumer base, rise in uptake of advanced sterilization technologies, and highly advanced health care infrastructure are expected to drive the market in North America in the next few years.
- The market in Asia Pacific is likely to grow at a steady pace during the forecast period. High prevalence of hospital acquired infections (HAIs) is projected to fuel the growth of the market in Asia Pacific in the next few years. Moreover, rise in number of pharmaceutical companies and growth of the food & beverage industry are anticipated to augment the market in the near future.
Key Players Operating in Global Sterilization Market
The global sterilization market is relatively consolidated owing to presence of small number of players.
Major players operating in the global sterilization market are:
- Becton, Dickinson and Company
- Advanced Sterilization Products
- Sterigenics U.S., LLC
- Cantel Medical
- E-BEAM Services, Inc.
- Belimed AG
- Atec Pharmatechnik GmbH
- Getinge Group
- Nordion, Inc. (Canada)
- Noxilizer, Inc.
- Sterile Technologies, Inc.
- Steris plc
- 3M Company
- Other Prominent Players
Global Sterilization Market: Research Scope
Global Sterilization Market, by Type
- Chemical & Gas Sterilization
- Ethylene Oxide
- Filtration Sterilization
- Ionizing Radiation Sterilization
- Gamma Radiation
- Electron Beam Radiation
- Others (X-ray)
- Thermal Sterilization
Global Sterilization Market, by End-user
- Medical Devices
- Food & Beverage
Global Sterilization Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!