Dental equipment and imaging devices find applications in a dental office for diagnosis and treatment of various dental ailments. The global dental equipment market is primarily driven by advancements in diagnostics and treatment technologies. In addition, growing awareness about role of dentistry in aesthetics is encouraging growth of the market.
The global dental equipment and imaging market by products is classified into six categories, viz. dental radiology equipment, dental lasers, systems and parts, laboratory machines, hygiene maintenance, and other equipment.
Systems & parts market held majority share of the overall dental equipment and imaging market in 2011, owing to their wide range of applications in dental procedures. This was followed by dental radiology equipment whose market share was over 20% of the total market in 2011. Cone beam CT is the fastest growing product market due to its advantages over conventional x-ray equipment such as focused x-ray generation and lesser exposure of tissues. Dental lasers formed the smallest segment in dental equipment and imaging market owing to their recent introduction, however, they are expected to grow at a rapid rate. Dental lasers will be the fastest growing product segment with their increasing adoption in the dental offices. Dental lasers will increasingly find utility in dental surgeries owing to their advantages such as portability, and short healing time after surgery.
The overall dental equipment market is segmented into Europe, Asia-Pacific, North America and the rest of the world regions, on the basis of geography. The North America dental equipment market held majority of the market share in 2011. It was followed by the European market whose market share was calculated to be approximately 35% in 2011.
Some of the drivers for the North American dental equipment market are listed below:
- According to WHO, the prevalence of dental caries is the highest in North America with a DMFT (Decayed, Missing, Filled Teeth) count of 2.35 among 12-year olds in 2011. DMFT measures the prevalence of dental disease and is an indicator of average number of diseased teeth in a mouth of the group under consideration. This explains the dental treatment need in the region and hence the equipment required to treat them. Therefore, it becomes a major factor for the surging dental equipment market in the region.
- Furthermore, Americans spend about USD 2.75 billion on cosmetic dental procedures each year, according to the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry (AACD). Higher per capita income of the region enables the people to afford expensive cosmetic dental procedures. According to International Monetary Fund, the per capita income of USA and Canada were USD 48,328 and USD 50,496, respectively, in 2011.
Owing to low patient awareness levels and slower adoption of expensive and advanced technologies, the Asian dental equipment market will grow at a relatively slower rate in comparison to the developed North American and European dental equipment markets. The Asian dental equipment market will grow at a sluggish CAGR of 4.1% from 2012 to 2018.
Global Dental Equipment Market: Overview
Dentistry, for the presumption that it seldom is life-threatening, may be considered secondary to several other segments of medical sciences but there is a growing awareness among end-users about clean teeth not only for health but aesthetical reasons. Researchers are continuously working on new technologies in the field of dentistry and hence, the future of the global market for dental equipment looks bright. This research study projects the global dental equipment market, which was valued at US$5.5 bn in 2011, to grow at a CAGR of 4.7% to reach a valuation of US$7.6 bn by 2018.
Dental Equipment Market: Trends and Opportunities
The market for dental equipment is continuously growing on the back of technological advancements in the field of dentistry. For instance, digital x-rays are now enabling faster results and also contain less radiation than traditional x-rays while VELscope is a special type of light that dentists shine in a patient’s mouth to detect abnormalities. Moreover, products such as Invisalign have given patients the option of practically invisible braces that can gently straighten teeth. Likewise, lasers are now being used to eliminate discomfort in a number of dental procedures.
Another growing trend in the market for dental equipment is the extended use of dentistry in the cosmetic field. This refers to any dental work that improves the appearance of a person’s teeth, gum, and bite. Termed as dental aesthetics, this advancement primarily focuses on improving color, position, alignment, shape, size, and overall appearance of a person’s smile. All of these technological advancements in the field of dentistry, a worldwide aging population, and growing awareness among younger end users augurs well for the future of the dental devices market.
Conversely, the report also notes that the use of refurbished dental equipment and relatively high costs of advanced dental equipment are premier restraint in the market. The levying of taxes on certain classes of dental equipment coupled with the growing awareness about the use of fluoridation to prevent dental decay is also expected to adversely affect the global market for dental equipment.
Global Dental Equipment Market: Region-wise Outlook
North America constitutes the largest market for dental equipment at the global level because of several factors. For example, there is a high prevalence of dental caries among the population of countries such as U.S. and Canada. According to a report by WHO, in North America in 2011, the decayed, missing, and filled teeth (DMFT) count was estimated at 2.35 among children aged 12 years. Moreover, consumers in North America spend a substantial amount of money on cosmetic dental procedures. The American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry states that people in the U.S. spend approximately US$2.75 bn annually on cosmetic dental procedures.
Europe contributes to a fairly large market for dental equipment as well its share stood at 35% of the global market as of 2011. The report finds that large populations of Asia Pacific will continue to drive the dental equipment market steadily over the forecast period while North America will continue to lead.
Companies Mentioned in the Report
To provide a thorough overview of the competitive landscape, the report profiles some of the prominent names in the global dental equipment market. The entities profiled in this report include: 3M ESPE, A- Dec Inc., Biolase Inc., Carestream Heath, Inc., Danaher Corporation, Dentsply International Inc., GC Corporation, Henry Schein, Inc., Hu- Friedy Mgf Co., Ivoclar Vivadent AG, Midmark Corporation, Patterson Companies Inc., Planmecaoy, Sirona Dental Systems Inc., Noble Biocare, and Straumann. Out of these, the Danaher Corporation accounted for the highest share of the global dental equipment market revenue in 2011 due to the company’s wide-ranging product portfolio.
Key Segments of the Dental Equipment Market
- Dental Equipment Market, by Product Type
- Dental Radiology Equipment
- Digital x-ray units
- Digital Sensors
- Analog (film based)
- Dental Lasers
- Diode Lasers
- Quantum well lasers
- Distributed feedback lasers
- Vertical cavity surface emitting lasers
- Heterostructure lasers
- Quantum cascade lasers
- Separate confinement heterostructure lasers
- Vertical external cavity surface emitting lasers
- Carbon Dioxide Lasers
- Yttrium Aluminum Garnet Lasers
- Diode Lasers
- Systems & Parts
- Instrument Delivery systems
- Vacuums & Compressors
- Cone Beam CT Systems
- Cast Machine
- Furnace and Ovens
- Electrosurgical Equipment
- Other system and parts
- Laboratory Machines
- Ceramic Furnaces
- Hydraulic Press
- Electronic Waxer
- Suction Unit
- Micro Motor
- Hygiene Maintenance Devices
- Air Purification & Filters
- Hypodermic Needle Incinerator
- Other Equipment
- Hand Piece
- Light Cure
- Scaling Unit
- Dental Equipment Market, by Geography
- North America
- Rest of the World (RoW)
- Dental Radiology Equipment
This report gives you access to decisive data such as:
- Market growth drivers
- Factors limiting market growth
- Current market trends
- Market structure
- Market projections for the coming years
Key highlights of this report
- Overview of key market forces propelling and restraining market growth
- Up-to-date analyses of market trends and technological improvements
- Pin-point analyses of market competition dynamics to offer you a competitive edge
- An analysis of strategies of major competitors
- An array of graphics and SWOT analysis of major industry segments
- Detailed analyses of industry trends
- A well-defined technological growth map with an impact-analysis
- Offers a clear understanding of the competitive landscape and key product segments