Adrenocorticotropic Hormone (ACTH) Market
Adrenocorticotropic Hormone (ACTH) Market (Source: Natural and Synthetic; Indication: Rheumatology, Neurology, Nephrotic Syndrome, Ophthalmology, and Others; and Distribution Channel: Hospital Pharmacies, Retail Pharmacies, and Online Pharmacies) - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2019 - 2027
Press Release :
Research and Development Continue to Fuel Expansion of Adrenocorticotropic Hormone (ACTH) Market
The healthcare sector continues to witness continual waves of development due to research activities. In recent years, due to consistent investments, the production of new drugs and the development of new treatments have accelerated. Adrenocorticotropic hormone plays an imperative role in administering the production of cortisol. Cortisol is an essential hormone that enables individuals to cope with stress, infection, maintain blood pressure, moderate blood sugar, and regulate metabolism. The adoption of adrenocorticotropic hormone test in conjunction with the cortisol test is on the rise for effective diagnosis of disorders within the adrenal and pituitary glands such as Addison disease, Cushing’s disease, Cushing’s syndrome, and hypopituitarism, among others.
The growing awareness regarding adrenocorticotropic hormone coupled with widening applications of the same to treat a range of medical conditions is a key factor influencing the growth of the adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) market during the forecast period. Researchers are exploring the potential applications of the adrenocorticotropic hormone to treat multiple treatments. For instance, research activities are in full swing to unravel the potential of the adrenocorticotropic hormone treatment in patients suffering from chronic non-infectious uveitis. Thus, the global adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) market is expected to surpass ~US$ 2.1 Bn mark by the end of 2027.
To know the scope of our report Get a Sample on Adrenocorticotropic Hormone (ACTH) Market
Clinical Use of Adrenocorticotropic Hormone Gel to Treat Inflammatory Diseases on Rise
The widening applications of adrenocorticotropic hormone over the past five decades to treat a range of treatments have laid down the building blocks of success for companies involved in the current adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) market. Over the span of the last five to six decades, clinical applications of adrenocorticotropic hormone gel to address a host of inflammatory diseases have increased at a steady pace due to its exceptional capabilities to influence glucocorticoid secretion from adrenal glands. In the current scenario, numerous research and development activities within the adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) market are investigating the extra-adrenal effects of adrenocorticotropic hormone and the therapeutic effect of the same in inflammatory diseases.
Since receiving the approval from the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for several indications, at present, adrenocorticotropic hormone gels are increasingly being used by pulmonologists, nephrologists, neurologists, and rheumatologists to address a host of inflammatory conditions. Within the ophthalmology field, adrenocorticotropic hormone gel is used for allergic ocular and inflammatory diseases. However, despite receiving the approval from the FDA for ocular conditions, the adoption of adrenocorticotropic hormone in the ophthalmology sector increased at a gradual pace. Some of the major factors that are reviving the interest in adrenocorticotropic hormone gels include drawbacks of existing treatment in uveitis, increasing need for efficient medication monitoring, growing costs, variable clinical responses along with limited FDA approved treatments for uveitis management. Contrary to the initial FDA requirements and guidelines for drug approval wherein evidence that the treatment was safe to use for humans was sufficient to receive the green signal, at present, the regulatory landscape tells a different story. In the current scenario, new indications and guidelines demand concrete proof from a series of clinical trials that validate the safety and efficacy of new treatments. Stakeholders in the current adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) market landscape are likely to address the major hurdles that may affect the demand for adrenocorticotropic hormone gels, such as the high costs of adrenocorticotropic hormone gels and the need for added clinical data. Thus, the reviving interest in adrenocorticotropic hormone gels is one of the major factors that is expected to influence the growth of the adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) market in the upcoming years.
Get a glimpse of the in-depth analysis through our Report Brochure
Apart from offering immense promise for the treatment of inflammatory conditions, research activities are also focusing on the potential of adrenocorticotropic hormone for the management of gout. As per the evidence presented by clinical trials, adrenocorticotropic hormone provides immense potential in the management of gout. While several studies point out the potential role of the adrenocorticotropic hormone to treat an array of diseases, the uptake of the same is likely to witness significant growth during the forecast period.
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report
The global adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) market is expected to grow at a steady CAGR of ~4% during the forecast period. Some of the leading factors that are expected to trigger the growth of the market for adrenocorticotropic hormone include growing focus on research and development activities, applications of adrenocorticotropic hormone gels to treat inflammatory diseases, and significant rise in the number of adrenocorticotropic hormone tests. Key participants in the current adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) market landscape should continue to invest in research and development activities to improve the efficacy and safety of treatment and medication pertaining to adrenocorticotropic hormone.
Adrenocorticotropic Hormone (ACTH) Market: Overview
- According to Transparency Market Research’s latest market report on the global adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) market for the historical period 2017–2018 and forecast period 2019–2027, multiple clinical applications and rise in prevalence of various chronic diseases are projected to drive the global adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) market
- According to the report, the global adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) market was valued at US$ 1.47 Bn in 2018 and is anticipated to expand at a CAGR of ~4% from 2019 to 2027
Multiple Applications and Rise in Prevalence of Various Chronic Diseases: Key Drivers
- Corticotropin is used to treat conditions such as nephrotic syndrome (NS), rheumatology-related conditions, multiple sclerosis (MS), ankylosing spondylitis (AS), and infantile spasms (IS)
- H.P. Acthar Gel was the primary corticotropin product from Questcor Pharmaceuticals, Inc., which was acquired by Mallinckrodt in August 2014. The U.S. FDA approved Acthar for the treatment of 19 indications.
- The rate of infantile spasm is estimated to be 2.5 to 6.0 cases per 10,000 live births. Its prevalence rate is 1.5 to 2.0 cases per 10,000 children aged 10 years or younger, based on data published in the National Organization for Rare Disorders, Inc. Rise in cases of target diseases and application of corticotropin in various indications drive the global market.
Increase in Investment in Research & Development
- Demand for the development of newer and technologically enhanced products is rising globally, owing to the treatment efficiency of drugs. Hence, major players operating in the market are investing in research and development programs in order to develop new drugs.
- Current oral glucocorticoid replacement therapy for patients with adrenal insufficiency (AI) does not truly mimic the normal physiologic cortisol rhythm, a nadir at bedtime and gradually rising levels to the early morning peak between 3 am and 6 am before waking
- Continuous subcutaneous hydrocortisone infusion therapy administered via an insulin pump to deliver hydrocortisone is another novel method of treatment of ACTH deficiency
- Pexacerfont, a corticotropin-releasing hormone-1 (CRH1) receptor antagonist, is currently under investigation for the treatment of generalized anxiety disorder. Recent research has linked the activation of CRH1 receptor with euphoric feelings that accompany alcohol consumption. A CRH1 receptor antagonist developed by Pfizer, CP-154,526, is under investigation for the potential treatment of alcoholism.
- Rise in investment in research & development by key players is likely to boost the global market significantly during the forecast period
High Cost of Treatment in U.S. to Restrain Global Adrenocorticotropic Hormone (ACTH) Market
- ACTH is priced higher than other agents, at around US$ 30,000 per vial. H.P. Acthar Gel, which cost around US$ 50 in 2000, was selling for US$ 28,000 for a 5 ml vial in 2012.
- In February 2015, Questcor Pharmaceuticals, which acquired the rights to market Synacthen Depot, raised its price from US$ 35.66 to US$ 801.19 per vial. The cost of the required six-week treatment skyrocketed from about US$ 750 to nearly US$ 17,000. Questcor reportedly increased the price of its best-selling drug Acthar Gel by 85,000%, from US$ 50 in 2000 to US$ 34,000 per vial in 2017.
- Adrenocorticotrophic hormone (ACTH) and prednisone are both used to treat infantile spasms (IS). However, the cost of ACTH injection is more than 100 times the cost of oral prednisolone.
- These diseases are life-threatening and do not have a permanent cure, hence the cost of lifelong treatment renders it unaffordable, leading to decline in the number of patients preferring to avail the treatment
Adrenocorticotropic Hormone (ACTH) Market: Competition Landscape
- This report profiles major players in the global adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) market based on various attributes such as company overview, financial overview, product portfolio, business strategies, and recent developments
- The adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) market is highly consolidated, with the presence of a few large players in international markets and few small players in regional markets. The top four to five players hold majority share of the global adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) market.
- Prominent players operating in the global adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) market include
- Mallinckrodt plc
- Pfizer, Inc.
- Novartis AG
- Mylan N.V.,
- Hikma Pharmaceuticals plc
Adrenocorticotropic Hormone (ACTH) Market: Key Developments
- In China, a research study on the role of corticotropin releasing factor in the neuroimmune mechanisms of depression is underway. This study was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China, the FHS Internal Collaboration Proposals 2017, the University of Macau, and the Science and Technology Development Fund (FDCT) of Macao.
- The report on the global adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) market discusses individual strategies, followed by company profiles of adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) providers. The competition landscape section has been included in the global adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) market report to provide readers with a dashboard view of key market players operating in the global adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) market.
Adrenocorticotropic Hormone (ACTH) Market - Scope of the Report
TMR’s report on the global adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) market studies past as well as current growth trends and opportunities to gain valuable insights of these indicators for the market during the forecast period from 2019 to 2027. The report provides the revenue of the global adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) market for the period 2017–2027, considering 2018 as the base year and 2027 as the forecast year. The report also provides the compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of the global adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) market during the forecast period.
The report has been prepared after an extensive primary and secondary research. Primary research involved bulk of research efforts, wherein analysts carried out interviews with industry leaders and opinion makers. Extensive secondary research involved referring to key players’ product literature, annual reports, press releases, and relevant documents to understand the global adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) market.
Secondary research also included Internet sources, statistical data from government agencies, websites, and trade associations. Analysts employed a combination of top-down and bottom-up approaches to study various phenomenon in the global adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) market.
The report includes an elaborate executive summary, along with a snapshot of the growth behavior of various segments included in the scope of the study. Furthermore, the report sheds light on changing competitive dynamics in the global adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) market. These indices serve as valuable tools for existing market players as well as for entities interested in entering the global adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) market.
The report delves into the competitive landscape of the global adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) market. Key players operating in the global adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) market have been identified, and each one of these has been profiled for distinguishing business attributes. Company overview, financial standings, recent developments, and SWOT are some of the attributes of players in the global adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) market that have been profiled in this report.
Key Questions Answered in Adrenocorticotropic Hormone (ACTH) Market Report
- What is the scope of growth of companies in the global adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) market?
- What will be the Y-o-Y growth of the global adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) market between 2019 and 2027?
- What is the influence of changing trends in technologies on the global adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) market?
- Will North America continue to be the most profitable market for adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) providers?
- Which factors will hamper the growth of the global adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) market during the forecast period?
- Which are the leading companies in the global adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) market?
A unique research methodology has been utilized by TMR to conduct a comprehensive research on the growth of the global adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) market and arrive at conclusions on the growth prospects of the market. This research methodology is a combination of primary and secondary research, which helps analysts warrant the accuracy and reliability of the drawn conclusions.
Secondary sources referred to by analysts during the production of the global adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) market report include statistics from company annual reports, SEC filings, company websites, World Bank database, investor presentations, regulatory databases, government publications, and industry white papers. Analysts have also interviewed senior managers, product portfolio managers, CEOs, VPs, and market intelligence managers, who have contributed to the production of TMR’s study on the adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) market as primary sources.
These primary and secondary sources have provided exclusive information during interviews, which serves as a validation from adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) market leaders. Access to extensive internal repository and external proprietary databases allows this report to address specific details and questions about the global adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) market with accuracy. The study also uses the top-down approach to assess the revenue numbers for each segment and the bottom-up approach to counter-validate them. This has helped in reaching TMR’s estimates on future prospects of the global adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) market more reliably and accurately.
Adrenocorticotropic Hormone (ACTH) Market – Segmentation
Middle East & Africa