Transdermal patches are defined as pharmaceutical preparations containing active substance. They are available in varying sizes and intended to deliver the active ingredient through skin. These patches have been proven to be effective especially for cardiac and hormonal disorders. The traditional oral dosage forms have considerable setbacks owing to their reduced bioavailability due to hepatic metabolism. A transdermal patch comprises of an outer covering which is impermeable to water. The inner covering consists of a sheet which contains the active substance and generally impermeable to water, it is designed to support and protect the active substance.
These transdermal patches work on the mechanism of diffusion. The drug diffuses from drug delivery reservoir through controlled mechanisms such as rate controlling membrane or directly into the skin. The matrix of active substance may contain a pressure-sensitive adhesive which ensures adhesion of the skin preparation. The prime advantages of dermal patches includes they do not have to surpass the gastrointestinal system and are helpful for GI disorders such as nausea and vomiting. Dermal patches helps in reduction of drug interactions which are administered orally. In addition they can substitute oral medications in severe gastric conditions such as diarrhea and vomiting. They are non-invasive in nature and reduce the inconvenience caused due to intravenous or parenteral therapies. Recently U.S. FDA approved sumatriptan iontophoretic transdermal system (Zecuity, NuPathe Inc) for acute treatment of migraine.
However skin’s non permeability to wide number of active substance limits the growth of this market. Only certain relatively potent drugs are suitable candidates for transdermal patches. Moreover, few patients develop contact dermatitis at the site of application of these patches, arise the need to discontinue its use. Some of the major players in this market include Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc, 3M Pharmaceuticals, Teva, Access Pharmaceuticals Inc, Accrux Ltd and others.
This research report analyzes this market depending on its market segments, major geographies, and current market trends. Geographies analyzed under this research report include
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of the World
This report provides comprehensive analysis of
- Market growth drivers
- Factors limiting market growth
- Current market trends
- Market structure
- Market projections for upcoming years
This report is a complete study of current trends in the market, industry growth drivers, and restraints. It provides market projections for the coming years. It includes analysis of recent developments in technology, Porter’s five force model analysis and detailed profiles of top industry players. The report also includes a review of micro and macro factors essential for the existing market players and new entrants along with detailed value chain analysis.
Reasons for Buying this Report
- This report provides pin-point analysis for changing competitive dynamics
- It provides a forward looking perspective on different factors driving or restraining market growth
- It provides a technological growth map over time to understand the industry growth rate
- It provides a seven-year forecast assessed on the basis of how the market is predicted to grow
- It helps in understanding the key product segments and their future
- It provides pin point analysis of changing competition dynamics and keeps you ahead of competitors
- It helps in making informed business decisions by having complete insights of market and by making in-depth analysis of market segments
- It provides distinctive graphics and exemplified SWOT analysis of major market segments