Global von Willebrand Disease Treatment Market: Continued Research Regarding Rare Bleeding Disorders to Offer Growth Prospects for Competitors
Continued rise in the prevalence of bleeding disorders has stirred key developments in the healthcare sector, in an attempt to manage these disorders. Despite the global prevalence of bleeding disorders, awareness of these conditions and their management has been insignificant. Healthcare professionals often have lesser diagnostic and treatment skills with incomplete access to diagnostic modalities essential for accurate recognition. von Willebrand disease is one such hereditary bleeding disorder associated with the qualitative and quantitative defect of the von Willebrand factor. On account of the growing incidences of this disease, von Willebrand disease treatment remains pivotal for healthcare professionals.
Transparency Market Research (TMR), in its recently published report on the von Willebrand disease treatment market, uncovers key aspects pertaining to the industry, showcasing developments in the market. Continued efforts towards battling the disease prevalent among geriatric patients and increasing government initiatives for the development of orphan drugs, coupled with continued technological advancements that enable new drug development are likely to drive the growth of the von Willebrand disease treatment market.
Planning to lay down future strategy? Perfect your plan with our report brochure here
von Willebrand Disease Treatment Market: Evolutionary Timeline
von Willebrand disease was first described by Finland’s Dr. Eric von Willebrand, in 1926, as a disease differentiated from hemophilia on the basis of certain clinical findings. Knowledge regarding von Willebrand disease pathogenesis and the following application of data to benefit disease diagnosis and therapeutics have advanced considerably over the past couple of decades. Post the immunologic distinction between factor VIII and von Willebrand factor discovered in the 1970s, the gene for the von Willebrand factor was cloned by four groups in the year 1985, marking the beginning of an era of the incorporation of the knowledge into the study of disease diagnosis, pathogenesis, and treatment.
The von Willebrand disease treatment market has witnessed significant transformation ever since the discovery of the disease. Healthcare professionals, today, are focusing on developing newer therapeutics for the disease, with shifting focus on recombinant therapy. As such, the von Willebrand disease treatment market is likely to be valued at ~ US$ 480 Mn in 2019, and is expected to grow at a CAGR of ~ 7% during 2019-2027.
Want to know the obstructions to your company’s growth in future? Request a PDF sample here
Impact of Undercurrents on the von Willebrand Disease Treatment Market
Encouragement to Develop Orphan Drugs
Regulatory bodies across the globe grant ODD status to a drug that is intended to diagnose and treat rare diseases. Governments are also encouraging the development of orphan drugs to better tackle rare diseases such as von Willebrand disease. This trend is likely to influence the market on a large scale.
Technological Innovations Boost Product Development
As the healthcare sector continues to evolve, substantial growth is being witnessed in drug discovery and development. Technological advancements continue to influence drug development in terms of von Willebrand disease treatment to offer better disease management to patients. New treatment options such as recombinant therapy are expected to drive the market in the near future. The popularity of recombinant therapy is likely to grow, owing to less chance of an allergic reaction, viral infection, and reduced risk of disease transmission.
High Treatment Costs to Impede Market Growth
Drugs for von Willebrand disease treatment are synthetic in nature, and the cost of recombinant therapy is higher. Also, clinical trials and new drug development require higher investments, owing to the rarity and distinctive treatment approach for this disease. This has compelled companies to invest more in R&D, resulting in higher final cost of the drugs.
Looking for exclusive market insights from business experts? Request a Custom Report here
von Willebrand Disease Treatment Market: Strategies
New Product Launches
Companies operating in the von Willebrand disease treatment market are emphasizing new product developments with focus on next-gen therapeutics. From recombinant therapy that promotes personalized treatment to new drug discovery, market players are trialing newer ways to reduce the efficacy of this disease.
Desmopressin Drug Portfolio Enhancement
Desmopressin is a synthetic drug that is available in the vial or spray form. This drug treatment for von Willebrand disease is likely to remain the top-selling type of drug. Companies aim to expand their desmopressin drug portfolio to capitalize on its increasing demand.
Prioritize Therapeutic Research and Clinical Trials
As research and development plays a vital role in the discovery and development of drugs, companies operating in the von Willebrand disease treatment market continue to concentrate their efforts towards therapeutic research and clinical trials. Another vital aspect in consideration remains attaining marketing authorization from governing bodies in respective regions to cash in on sales in these regions.
Analysis of the Competition
Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited recently announced the completion of its acquisition of Shire plc. With this acquisition, the former aims to become a globally recognized, values-based, and R&D-driven biopharmaceutical market leader in Japan. Octapharma, a key player in the von Willebrand disease treatment market, announced that it presented new data on the benefits of Nuwiq for patients suffering from haemophilia A during a scientific symposium at the 27th International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis (ISTH) Congress held in Australia. In 2018, Shire plc, an orphan drug leader, was granted marketing authorization for its recombinant von Willebrand factor vonicog alfa as a second-line of treatment for von Willebrand disease.
The von Willebrand disease treatment market remains fragmented in nature, with intense competition in the market. Major market players continue to adopt new product launches as a vital growth-attaining strategy, with the help of mergers and acquisitions, along with collaborations, to bolster business expansion. Increasing market presence and product availability through such growth policies are majorly witnessed among competitors
Analysts’ Perspective on the von Willebrand Disease Treatment Market
Ongoing research for new drug development due to the increasing prevalence of von Willebrand disease is being observed on a large scale. Owing to this scenario, TMR analysts have a positive perspective of the market. Companies have observed the need for developing new treatment options for the treatment of this disease. In an attempt to gain impetus on this front, intensive research and development activities are given priority. New market entrants can consider this strategy to compete with established players. Although North America leads the von Willebrand disease treatment market, major prevalence of the disease observed across developing countries is shifting the focus of treatment providers towards these economies. Increasing consumer awareness pertaining to rare diseases, coupled with growing encouragement by governments to introduce orphan drugs are creating major opportunities in Asian economies. Developing countries could, therefore, be vital geographies when considering investments to develop newer drugs. As recombinant therapy is gaining momentum, new market entrants can channelize their efforts towards research activities in this avenue, in an attempt to gain a competitive edge.
- According to Transparency Market Research’s latest report on the von Willebrand disease treatment market for the historical period (2017 - 2018) and forecast period (2019 - 2027), increase in government initiatives & funding for research and development are anticipated to boost the growth of the global von Willebrand disease treatment market. Moreover, rise in the demand for recombinant therapies and clinical advances in the treatment of the disease are expected to fuel the growth of the global von Willebrand disease treatment market during the forecast period.
- According to the report, the global von Willebrand disease treatment market was valued at ~ US$ 455 Mn in 2018, and is likely to expand at a CAGR of ~ 7% from 2019 to 2027.
von Willebrand Disease Treatment Market: Government Initiatives: A Key Driver
- von Willebrand disease is a rare disease and needs government support in terms of research funding, treatment centers, and spreading awareness among people about the disease. Hence, the governments of several countries and government organizations have turned their focus toward the treatment of this bleeding disorder.
- Initiatives are being taken in terms of approval of grants, government funding for research & treatment of the disease, and providing assistance to related healthcare providers & patients
- For instance, in the U.S., the nationwide network of hemophilia treatment centers (HTCs) is funded by the federal government for the treatment of hemophilia and related bleeding disorders.
von Willebrand Disease Treatment Market: Rise in Demand for Recombinant Therapies
- Recombinant vWF (genetically engineered von Willebrand factor product) is gaining popularity due to its advantages over replacement therapy, such as less chance of allergic reaction or viral infection, and less risk of disease transmission.
- Increase in the use of recombinant therapy is projected to boost the growth of the global von Willebrand disease treatment market.
- Moreover, clinical advancements in the diagnosis of vWD, such as vWF:GPIbM assay, are expected to fuel the growth of the global von Willebrand disease treatment market.
von Willebrand Disease Treatment Market: High Cost of Treatment and Therapy a Major Restraint
- Cost is a key factor influencing the selection of the treatment for vWD. Recombinant therapies and synthetic hormones are used for the treatment of von Willebrand disease, which cost higher.
- The high cost of clinical trial and drug development has an impact on the cost of the final product.
- Hence, the high cost of treatment hampers the growth of the global von Willebrand disease treatment market.
von Willebrand Disease Treatment Market: Competition Landscape
- Detailed profiles of key players operating in the global von Willebrand disease treatment market have been provided in the report to evaluate their financials, key product offerings, recent developments, and strategies.
- Prominent players operating in the global von Willebrand disease treatment market include
- Octapharma AG
- Grifols, S.A.
- Shire plc
- Bayer AG
- CSL Behring
- Pfizer, Inc.
- Akorn, Inc.
- Ferring B.V.
von Willebrand Disease Treatment Market: Key Developments
The global von Willebrand disease treatment market is highly fragmented due to the presence of a large number of players. Leading players operating in the global von Willebrand disease treatment market are engaged in development of new products, merger & acquisition, collaboration, and integration. Industry players are undertaking significant research and development activities. These business strategies adopted by manufacturers accelerate the growth of the global von Willebrand disease treatment market.
- On January 7, 2019, Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited acquired Shire plc to form a strong value-based, biopharmaceutical global leading player.
- In October 2018, Octapharma AG received Swissmedic approval for fibryga to treat fibrinogen deficiencies disease. Fibryga plays an important role in the coagulation process.
- In September 12, 2018, Shire plc received marketing authorization from the European Commission (EC) for VEYVONDI (voniocog alfa, recombinant von Willebrand Factor) for the treatment of von Willebrand disease.
In the global von Willebrand disease treatment market report, we have discussed individual strategies, followed by the profiles of prominent players operating in the von Willebrand disease treatment market. The competitive landscape section is included in the report to provide readers with a dashboard view and a company market share analysis of the key players operating in the global von Willebrand disease treatment market.
TMR’s recent report on the von Willebrand disease treatment market offers readers an overall market overview with the help of comprehensive analysis of the global market. The TMR study on the von Willebrand disease treatment market evaluates the market with respect to the historical and current market scenario, and provides a forecast for the period of 2019-2027. Report audiences are able to make key business decisions with the help of the findings and exclusive von Willebrand disease treatment market insights included in the report. TMR’s report also provides an assessment of the key von Willebrand disease treatment market dynamics that are likely to impact the market in the future. The report also offers a thorough understanding of the key industry trends and developments made by von Willebrand disease treatment market players. The TMR report is divided into vital sections, which allows readers to gain an individual understanding of the von Willebrand disease treatment market.
Key Questions Answered in the Report
- What are key trends that are likely to influence the von Willebrand disease treatment market in the coming five years?
- Which disease type is expected to prevail in the von Willebrand disease treatment market?
- How much will the von Willebrand disease treatment market value in the year 2027?
- Which regions are likely to generate major sales opportunities for von Willebrand disease treatment market players?
- What are the key developments carried out by leading von Willebrand disease treatment market contributors?
The first section in the study on the von Willebrand disease treatment market includes a preface that provides a brief market overview, including definition and scope of the market. This chapter highlights the key research objectives that allow readers to gain a concise market understanding. Following this section is the executive summary that sheds light on the von Willebrand disease treatment market aspects covered in the report. The next chapter in the von Willebrand disease treatment market report is the market overview, which offers a glance into the market in terms of key von Willebrand disease treatment market dynamics such as drivers, opportunistic avenues, and restraining factors.
The next chapter offers an outlook of the global von Willebrand disease treatment market analysis and forecast in terms of volume and value. Following this overview is the market outlook in terms of the regulatory scenario in different regions, along with the global reimbursement scenario. Following this is a detailed segmentation analysis of the von Willebrand disease treatment market. The evaluation includes bifurcation on the basis of disease type, drug, route of administration, gender, distribution channel, and region. The evaluation of key segments in the von Willebrand disease treatment market and inclusion of year-on-year growth projection, along with basis point share analysis, further helps clients identify lucrative avenues.
The TMR study on the von Willebrand disease treatment market offers an assessment of the geographical landscape of the market. The regional assessment helps market players make strategic decisions pertaining to their expansion strategies and investments. Segment-wise and country-level assessment of individual regions helps audiences of the von Willebrand disease treatment market study evaluate the potential of the market. Backed by year-on-year growth projections, and global value and volume share, this section is a significant part of the report on the von Willebrand disease treatment market.
The study on the von Willebrand disease treatment market provides a holistic competitive assessment, providing details of leading market players. This sections highlights the nature of the von Willebrand disease treatment market with the help of the market share held by leading, emerging, and new players. The dashboard view of the competitive landscape in the von Willebrand disease treatment market report allows readers to assess the strategies implemented by players and their performance in the von Willebrand disease treatment market, featuring focus areas of the von Willebrand disease treatment market players. The competitive structure of prominent players in the von Willebrand disease treatment market is also discussed in the study.
The TMR report on the von Willebrand disease treatment market is based on an in-depth evaluation of the market, including comprehensive primary and secondary research. Detailed evaluation of the von Willebrand disease treatment market in terms of competitive landscape is backed by individual-level analysis of various aspects related to the market. An evaluation of the historical and current market scenario for von Willebrand disease treatment, focusing on key market segments, major regions, and market dynamics, along with other qualitative inputs, helps TMR analysts derive vital predictions and offer a forecast analysis for the von Willebrand disease treatment market. Report audiences can access the von Willebrand disease treatment market study to gain a forecasted market assessment for the period of 2019–2027.
Global Von Willebrand Disease Treatment Market Taxonomy
Type 1 von Willebrand Disease
Type 2 von Willebrand Disease
Type 3 von Willebrand Disease
Acquired von Willebrand Disease
Route of Administration
Middle East & Africa