Traveler’s Diarrhea Treatment Market
Traveler’s Diarrhea Treatment Market (Drug Class: Oral Rehydration Therapy (ORS), Antidiarrheal Agents, Antibiotics [Azithromycin, Ciprofloxacin, Quinolones, and Rifaximi], Vaccines/Prophylactics, and Others; Pathogen: Bacteria [E. Coli, Salmonella Spp, and Others], Viruses, and Protozoa; Age Group: Adults and Children; and Distribution Channel: Retail Pharmacies, Hospital Pharmacies, and Online Pharmacies) - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2019 - 2027
Press Release :
Travelers Seek Solutions to Counter Diarrheal Pathogens in Tropical Regions
International travel has gained significant momentum in the past decade and the trend is showing no signs of slowing down. As per the data released by the World Tourism Organization (UNWTO), an astounding 1.4 billion international tourist arrivals were recorded - a 6% rise from 2017. As per the observable trends, tourists are traveling in huge numbers to tropical and sub-tropical countries, including Thailand, Spain, and India. However, tourists are at a high risk of being exposed to diarrheal pathogens in these regions and thus, traveler’s diarrhea has emerged as one of the most common health problems faced by international travelers.
Traditionally, antibiotic prophylaxis is used to prevent traveler’s diarrhea, which is primarily caused by bacterial etiologies. The traveler’s diarrhea treatment market is expanding at a rapid pace, as awareness among travelers related to ill effects of traveler’s diarrhea is increasing. Furthermore, drug approvals by the FDA, rise in the number of research activities, and development of new therapeutics are some of the leading factors that are expected to drive the traveler’s diarrhea treatment market. The market for traveler’s diarrhea treatment is expected to reach a value of ~US$ 1.3 Bn by 2027.
Request a sample to get extensive insights into the Traveler’s Diarrhea Treatment Market
FDA Approvals for New Drugs for Treatment of Traveler’s Diarrhea
Antibiotics used to treat and manage traveler’s diarrhea have evolved at a rapid pace in the past 50 years due to a range of factors, including drug resistance, costs, and side-effects. However, with consistent developments in research, new and improved treatments for traveler’s diarrhea are entering the traveler’s diarrhea treatment market.
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has given approval to several new treatments and drugs in recent years. For instance, Aemcolo, an oral antibacterial rifamycin, was approved by the FDA in November 2018 to treat traveler’s diarrhea caused by E.coli. Clinical studies have revealed that rifamycin has greater efficiency in reducing the symptoms of diarrhea symptoms compared to placebo. Antibiotics are primarily recommended to treat severe traveler’s diarrhea. Despite a few side effects, within the drug class segment, antibiotics are likely to stay ahead with a market share of ~51% during the forecast period. The management and treatment of traveler’s diarrhea are expected to evolve, owing to the formulation of different guidelines laid down by regulatory bodies worldwide. As per the new guidelines, the use of antibiotics for mild traveler’s diarrhea is not recommended, as they have been linked to adverse events.
Antidiarrheal agents, such as bismuth subsalicylate and loperamide, are predominantly used in conjunction with antibiotics to offer instant relief from the symptoms of traveler’s diarrhea. The treatment of traveler’s diarrhea primarily depends on the severity of the treatment. Oral rehydration solutions are ideally used to treat traveler’s diarrhea in children, infants, and geriatric population, as these patients are more susceptible to dehydration and electrolyte imbalance. The oral rehydration solution and antidiarrheal segments of the traveler’s diarrhea treatment market are collectively expected to reach a value of ~US$ 511 Mn by the end of 2027.
To understand how our report can bring difference to your business strategy, Ask for a brochure
Bacteria to Retain Lead as Primary Traveler’s Diarrhea-causing Pathogen
Traveler’s diarrhea is predominantly caused by pathogens such as viruses, bacteria, and protozoa. Of these, nearly 80% of the cases are caused by bacteria, and thus, this segment is projected to account for ~ 69% share of the traveler’s diarrhea treatment market in 2019. Viruses are the causative agents for ~5-10% cases depending on geographical location. As per the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention data, norovirus and rotavirus are the leading types of viruses that cause traveler’s diarrhea. E.coli and Salmonella Spp are the two major bacteria types responsible for traveler’s diarrhea. According to the British Medical Journal, the prevalence of traveler’s diarrhea is higher among travelers visiting regions in South Asia and Southeast Asia. Thus, the traveler’s diarrhea treatment market is expected to grow during the forecast period.
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report on “Traveler’s Diarrhea Treatment Market”
The traveler’s diarrhea treatment market is expected to expand at a healthy CAGR of ~7% during the forecast period. Development of new drugs, growing awareness among travelers, and approval from the FDA will continue to play an imperative role in the growth of the traveler’s diarrhea treatment market in the near future. Companies in the traveler’s diarrhea treatment market landscape should focus on the development of new drugs and ensure they are compliant with the current guidelines. Among regions, with a market share of ~42% in 2018, North America will retain its lead during the forecast period, owing to product approvals and early adoption of new products.
Traveler’s Diarrhea Treatment Market: Overview
- According to Transparency Market Research’s latest market report on the traveler’s diarrhea treatment market for the historical period of 2017 - 2018 and forecast period of 2019 - 2027, a surge in the number of travelers and rise in awareness among travelers about traveler’s diarrhea is anticipated to drive the traveler’s diarrhea treatment market
- According to the report, the global traveler’s diarrhea treatment market was valued at ~US$ 738 Mn in 2018. It is projected to expand at a CAGR of ~7% from 2019 to 2027
Surge in Number of Travelers and Awareness Among Travelers: A Key Driver
- The risk of acquiring traveler’s diarrhea is high in developing countries such as those in Africa, the Middle East, Asia, and Latin America. Increase in number of travelers to developing countries in these regions is driving the number of traveler’s diarrhea patients.
- For instance, according to The World Tourism Organization (UNWTO), in 2018, estimated international tourist arrivals (overnight visitors) increased 6% to 1.4 billion across the world
- According to the worldatlas, Southeast Asia receives the highest number of travelers and an estimated 55.6 million people visited China, Thailand received 24.8 million visitors, South Korea welcomed 14.2 million, Japan 13.4 million, and Indonesia received 10.4 million visitors annually
- As per the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), in 2016, more than 6 million international travelers visited Brazil
- Rise in number of travelers is boosting travel expenditure. For instance, according to The U.S. Travel Association, in the U.S., an estimated US$ 1.1 trillion was spent by domestic and international inbound travelers.
- Rise in awareness among travelers is anticipated to drive the global traveler’s diarrhea treatment market. For instance, pre-travel counseling is essential, due to a rise in number of travelers and knowledge related to traveler’s medicine. The goal of pre-travel consultation is to improve the understanding of travelers about travel-related health hazards and diseases.
- The number of international travelers has been increasing at a steady pace, and travel-related health issues are rising frequently
Development of New Treatments
- Antibiotics is a widely prescribed treatment for traveler’s diarrhea. Antibiotics such as ciprofloxacin, quinolones azithromycin, and rifaximin are prescribed for the treatment of traveler’s diarrhea.
- However, overuse of antibiotics leads to antibiotic resistance. Thus, new antibiotics are being introduced to overcome microbial resistance by antibiotics and make the traveler’s diarrhea treatment effective
- Increase in prevalence of infectious diseases, such as diarrhea and traveler’s diarrhea, is fueling the demand for new development of treatment. Consequently, numerous clinical trials are conducted in order to develop safe and effective treatment. For instance, clinical trial was conducted in Bangladesh for inactivated vaccine candidate against enterotoxigenic E. coli, and it was found to be safe in children and adults for the treatment of diarrhea.
- Industry players are focused on research and development to introduce new therapeutic products for the treatment of traveler’s diarrhea
- Thus, the new development of treatment for traveler’s diarrhea is likely fuel the global market
Trend of Self-medication Using OTC Products and Misuse of Antibiotics Hamper Traveler’s Diarrhea Treatment Market
- Increase in use of over the counter medication for the treatment of traveler’s diarrhea is anticipated to hamper the market. For instance, according to an article published in The Journal of Life and Environmental Sciences, the study conducted during 2013-2014 in China Mainland, the estimated rate of antibiotic misuse was 35.12%
- Rise in use of antibiotics increases the risk of antibiotic resistance. Therefore, as per WHO guidelines, the use of antibiotics is restricted to cholera with severe dehydration and bloody diarrhea.
Traveler’s Diarrhea Treatment Market: Competition Landscape
- This report profiles major players in the global traveler’s diarrhea treatment market based on various attributes such as company overview, financial overview, product portfolio, business strategies, and recent developments
- The global traveler’s diarrhea treatment market is moderately fragmented, with presence of a few large-scale players in international markets and several small-scale players in regional markets. Top 4 to 5 players hold a major share of the global traveler’s diarrhea treatment market.
- Prominent players operating in the global traveler’s diarrhea treatment market include -
- Johnson & Johnson (Johnson & Johnson Consumer Inc.)
- Bausch Health Companies Inc. (Salix Pharmaceuticals)
- COSMO PHARMACEUTICALS
- Valneva SE
- Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
- Perrigo Company plc
- Bayer AG
Global Traveler’s Diarrhea Treatment Market: Key Developments
Key players in the global traveler’s diarrhea treatment market are engaged in the development of new products and approvals, merger & acquisitions, and collaborations. Strategies adopted by key players are likely to boost the global traveler’s diarrhea treatment market. Major strategies adopted by the players in the traveler’s diarrhea treatment market are:
- In October 2019, Bausch Health Companies Inc. announced the receipt of the U.S. patent and Trademark patent covering use of XIFAXAN. This enabled the company to strengthen the intellectual property of XIFAXAN.
- In October 2019, COSMO PHARMACEUTICALS announced a licensing agreement with RedHill Biopharma for Aemcolo for the U.S. This enabled COSMO PHARMACEUTICALS to be an exclusive supplier of Aemcolo.
- In April 2019, Health Canada approved Travelan in Canada
- In November 2018, COSMO PHARMACEUTICALS received U.S. Food and Drug Administration approval for Aemcolo for the treatment of traveler’s diarrhea
The report on the global traveler’s diarrhea treatment market discusses individual strategies, followed by company profiles of manufacturers of traveler’s diarrhea treatment products. The competitive landscape section is included in the traveler’s diarrhea treatment report to provide readers with a dashboard view and a company market share analysis of key players operating in the global traveler’s diarrhea treatment market.
Traveler’s Diarrhea Treatment Market - Scope of the Report
TMR’s report on the traveler’s diarrhea treatment market studies past as well as current growth trends and opportunities to gain valuable insights of the same indicators for the market during the forecast period from 2019 to 2027. The report provides the overall revenue of the traveler’s diarrhea treatment market for the period from 2017-2027, considering 2018 as the base year and 2027 as the forecast year. The report also provides the compound annual growth rate (CAGR) for the traveler’s diarrhea treatment market during the forecast period.
The report has been prepared after an extensive research. Primary research involved bulk of research efforts, wherein analysts carried out interviews with industry leaders and opinion makers. Extensive secondary research involved referring to key players’ product literature, annual reports, press releases, and relevant documents to understand the global traveler’s diarrhea treatment market.
Secondary research also included Internet sources, statistical data from government agencies, websites, and trade associations. Analysts employed a combination of top-down and bottom-up approaches to study various phenomenon in the global traveler’s diarrhea treatment market.
The report includes an elaborate executive summary, along with a snapshot of the growth behavior of various segments included in the scope of the study. Moreover, the report sheds light on changing competitive dynamics in the global traveler’s diarrhea treatment market. These indices serve as valuable tools for existing market players as well as for entities interested in entering the global traveler’s diarrhea treatment market.
The report delves into the competitive landscape of the global traveler’s diarrhea treatment market. Key players operating in the global traveler’s diarrhea treatment market are identified, and each one of them is profiled for their distinguishing business attributes. Company overview, financial standings, recent developments, and SWOTs are some of the attributes of players in the global traveler’s diarrhea treatment market that have been profiled in this report.
Key Questions Answered in the Traveler’s Diarrhea Treatment Market Report
- What is the scope of growth of product companies in the traveler’s diarrhea treatment market?
- What will be the Y-o-Y growth of the traveler’s diarrhea treatment market between 2019 and 2027?
- What is the influence of changing trends in technologies on the global traveler’s diarrhea treatment market?
- Will North America continue to be the most profitable regional market for traveler’s diarrhea treatment product providers?
- Which factors will impede the growth of the traveler’s diarrhea treatment market during the forecast period?
- Which are the leading companies in the global traveler’s diarrhea treatment market?
A unique research methodology has been utilized by TMR to conduct a comprehensive research on the growth of the global traveler’s diarrhea treatment market, and arrive at conclusions on the future growth prospects of the market. This research methodology is a combination of primary and secondary research, which helps analysts warrant the accuracy and reliability of the drawn conclusions.
Secondary sources referred to by analysts during the production of the global traveler’s diarrhea treatment market report include statistics from company annual reports, SEC filings, company websites, World Bank database, investor presentations, regulatory databases, government publications, and industry white papers. Analysts have also interviewed senior managers, product portfolio managers, CEOs, VPs, and market intelligence managers, who contributed to the production of TMR’s study on the traveler’s diarrhea treatment market as primary sources.
These primary and secondary sources have provided exclusive information during interviews, which serves as a validation from traveler’s diarrhea treatment market leaders. Access to an extensive internal repository and external proprietary databases allows this report to address specific details and questions about the global traveler’s diarrhea treatment market with accuracy. The study also uses the top-down approach to assess the numbers for each segment and the bottom-up approach to counter-validate them. This has helped in reaching TMR’s estimates on future prospects of the global traveler’s diarrhea treatment market more reliably and accurately.
Traveler’s Diarrhea Treatment Market - Segmentation