Systemic Lupus Erythematosus Treatment Market
Systemic Lupus Erythematosus Treatment Market (Drug: Antimalarial Drugs (Chloroquine and Hydrochloroquine), Non-steroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDS) (Ibuprofen, Naproxen, and Others), Corticosteroids (Prednisone, Hydrocortisone, Dexamethasone, and Others), Immunosuppressive Drugs (Azathioprine, Cyclophosphamide, Methotrexate, and Others], Others (Biologics, B-cell Modulators, etc.); Mode of Delivery: Intravenous, Subcutaneous, and Oral; Distribution Channel: Hospital Pharmacies, Retail Pharmacies, and Online Sales) - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2019 - 2027
Press Release :
Treat-to-Target Approach Reduces Incidence of Disease Activity
Although healthcare companies in the systemic lupus erythematosus treatment market have made significant advances regarding drug development, certain side effects of these drugs are anticipated to negatively influence market growth. For instance, immunosuppressive drugs are estimated to reach a value of ~US$ 1.5 billion by 2027, and continue to dominate the systemic lupus erythematosus treatment market throughout the forecast period. However, enduring disease activity with recurring flare ups and accumulating toxicity due to glucocorticoids (GC) and immunosuppressive (IS) medications are some of the side effects associated with SLE drugs.
Since SLE is a heterogeneous disease of varying severity, healthcare companies in the systemic lupus erythematosus treatment landscape are beginning to understand that, developing 'one size fits all' immunosuppressive drugs increases the burden of symptoms in patients. This is why, healthcare companies in the systemic lupus erythematosus treatment market are adopting the 'treat-to-target' approach to develop drugs that effectively manage and minimize the incidence of disease activity. Healthcare providers are implementing patient-tailored therapeutic strategies with the introduction of improved biologic agents.
Request a sample to get extensive insights into the Systemic Lupus Erythematosus Treatment Market
Biologics and Belimumab Stabilize Therapeutic Armamentarium for Stakeholders in Supply Chain
With the help of successful randomized controlled trials (RCTs) and approvals from health commissions, healthcare companies in the systemic lupus erythematosus treatment market are capitalizing on improved formulations of biologic agents. Other drugs such as biologics and B-cell modulators are projected to be the second-highest revenue generating source for manufacturers, with a value of ~US$ 785 million by 2027. Due to the increasing availability of belimumab, healthcare companies are gaining credibility, as this antibody is found to be efficacious in minimizing flare ups and disease activity. Thus, belimumab has helped stakeholders in the SLE supply chain to maintain a stable therapeutic armamentarium in the market.
Healthcare companies in the systemic lupus erythematosus treatment market are increasing their focus on novel biologic agents that target B cells, T cells, and cytokines, for improving the quality of life in patients. The market value share of the intravenous mode of delivery is estimated to grow from ~39% currently to ~44% by 2027 in the systemic lupus erythematosus treatment market. This is well justified, as healthcare providers are increasingly diagnosing patients with belimumab through intravenous formulations.
To understand how our report can bring difference to your business strategy, Ask for a brochure
Supportive Treatments Help Companies Broaden Revenue Sources
Apart from advancements in drug delivery, healthcare providers in the systemic lupus erythematosus treatment market are offering supportive treatments, since SLE patients are prone to comorbidities. Thus, healthcare companies can supply hospitals and other healthcare providers with vaccinations to prevent common disease problems such as influenza and streptococcus pneumonia. There is also an increasing need for vaccination against the human papilloma virus (HPV) in adult SLE patients.
Maintaining a steady supply chain of calcium and vitamin D supplements can help healthcare companies in the systemic lupus erythematosus treatment market to broaden and increase their bracket for revenue sources. These supplements are highly recommended for patients who are prescribed glucocorticoids, to avoid the risks of GC-induced osteoporosis. Companies should increase research & development to improve bidirectional control of the risk factors associated with cardiovascular diseases (CVD). Doing this will help them understand the disease-related factors associated with the consumption of statins and antihypertensive drugs by CVD patients.
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report on Systemic Lupus Erythematosus Treatment Market
Analysts of the systemic lupus erythematosus treatment market estimate a promising growth for the market during the forecast period. Healthcare providers should prescribe low-dose aspirin in conjunction with antiphospholipid antibodies (aPL) to reduce cardiovascular events in patients.
However, in many cases, ineffective management of SLE leads to severe drug-induced toxicity and organ deterioration. Thus, healthcare providers are increasing awareness about long-term maintenance therapy with hydroxychloroquine, as this technique has improved the life expectancy of SLE sufferers.
Since belimumab is the only targeted therapy approved by health commissions for the treatment of SLE, healthcare companies should increase their focus on developing new molecular formulations of the antibody.
Systemic Lupus Erythematosus Treatment Market: Key Insights
- Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE) is a prototypic multisystem autoimmune disorder with a broad spectrum of clinical presentations, encompassing almost all organs and tissues. It can affect the skin, joints, kidneys, brain, and other organs.
- SLE is more common in women than men, and can occur at any age. However, it appears most often in people between the ages of 15 and 44. The disease affects African Americans and Asians more than people from other races.
- The global systemic lupus erythematosus treatment market was valued at ~US$ 1.7 Bn in 2018.
- The global systemic lupus erythematosus treatment market is projected to grow at a CAGR of ~7%, and reach a valuation of ~US$ 3 Bn by the year 2027.
Systemic Lupus Erythematosus Treatment Market: Drivers
- Increase in number of systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) patients has resulted in growth of the global systemic lupus erythematosus treatment market. According to The Lupus Foundation of America, approximately 1.5 million people in the U.S. and 5 to 6 million people across the world are affected with various forms of lupus. Systemic lupus erythematosus affects around 70% of all cases of lupus.
- Numerous pipeline products and recent approvals of drugs to treat systemic lupus erythematosus are expected to drive the systemic lupus erythematosus treatment market during the forecast period.
- In 2019, Merck & Co., Inc., a global leader in autoimmune disease treatment, announced its two potential candidates, Atacicept and Evobrutinib, which are in phase II of clinical trials, to treat conditions such as systemic lupus erythematosus and other autoimmune disorders.
- GlaxoSmithKline plc. and AstraZeneca have a long list of pipeline drugs for autoimmune disorders. Both companies have one potential drug molecule, i.e. Belimumab+rituximab and Anifrolumab TULIP, respectively, which are in phase III of clinical trials, to treat the SLE disorder.
Systemic Lupus Erythematosus Treatment Market: Segment Analysis
- In terms of drug, the immunosuppressive drugs segment is the leading segment in the global systemic lupus erythematosus treatment market. This is due to major manufacturers focusing on the launch of new immunosuppressive drugs.
- In addition, immunosuppressive drugs for the treatment of systemic lupus erythematosus disease are available at low cost, easily accessible, and highly efficient.
- The intravenous segment is projected to be a highly attractive segment during the forecast period. Major market players focusing on launching new products in the injection form due to its high onset of action and less drug degradation, which is likely to propel the intravenous segment in the global systemic lupus erythematosus treatment market.
- Retail pharmacies is a highly preferred distribution channel. Increase in the number of retail pharmacy stores across the globe, availability of new products in retail stores, and availability of most of the drugs, i.e. NSAIDS, antimalarial drugs, corticosteroids as OTC drugs in retail stores, are expected to boost the growth of the retail pharmacies segment in the global systemic lupus erythematosus treatment market.
Systemic Lupus Erythematosus Treatment Market: Geographic Overview
- In terms of region, the global systemic lupus erythematosus treatment market has been segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa. The regions have been further divided into major countries and sub-regions for the easy understanding of the overall systemic lupus erythematosus treatment market.
- North America dominates the global systemic lupus erythematosus treatment market with the largest share. The market in Asia Pacific is projected to grow at the highest CAGR among all regions, and be the most lucrative regional systemic lupus erythematosus treatment market.
Systemic Lupus Erythematosus Treatment Market: Major Players
- Leading players analyzed in the report on the global systemic lupus erythematosus treatment market include
- GlaxoSmithKline plc
- F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd.
- Pfizer, Inc.
- Merck & Co., Inc.
- Bristol-Myers Squibb Company
- Anthera Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- ImmuPharma PLC
- Aurinia Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Companies in the systemic lupus erythematosus treatment market around the world focus on strategic collaborations and innovative product launches to strengthen their market position.
- On February 21, 2019, Merck & Co., Inc. acquired Immune Design to increase its new product development activity.
- Each of these players in the global systemic lupus erythematosus treatment market have been profiled in the report based on parameters such as company overview, financial overview, business strategies, product portfolio, business segments, and recent developments.
Systemic Lupus Erythematosus Treatment Market - Scope of the Report
TMR’s report on the global systemic lupus erythematosus treatment market studies the past as well as current growth trends and opportunities, to gain valuable insights of the indicators for the said market for the forecast period of 2019 to 2027. The report provides the overall market revenue of the global systemic lupus erythematosus treatment market for the period of 2017–2027, considering 2018 as the base year and 2027 as the forecast year. The report also provides the compound annual growth rate (CAGR %) of the global systemic lupus erythematosus treatment market from 2019 to 2027.
The report is prepared after extensive research. Primary research involved bulk of the research efforts, wherein, analysts carried out interviews with key opinion leaders, industry leaders, and opinion makers. Extensive secondary research involved reaching out to key players’ product literature, annual reports, press releases, and relevant documents to understand the systemic lupus erythematosus treatment market.
Secondary research also includes Internet sources, statistical data from government agencies, websites, and trade associations. Analysts employed a combination of the top-down and bottom-up approach to study the various attributes of the systemic lupus erythematosus treatment market.
The report includes an elaborate executive summary along with a snapshot of the growth behavior of various segments and sub-segments included in the scope of the study. Moreover, the report throws light on the changing competitive dynamics in the global systemic lupus erythematosus treatment market. These serve as valuable tools for existing market players as well as for entities interested in participating in the global systemic lupus erythematosus treatment market.
The report delves into the competitive landscape of the global systemic lupus erythematosus treatment market. Key players operating in the global systemic lupus erythematosus treatment market are identified and each one of them is profiled in terms of various attributes. Company overviews, financial standings, recent developments, and SWOT are the attributes of players in the global systemic lupus erythematosus treatment market that are profiled in this report.
Key Questions Answered in the Systemic Lupus Erythematosus Treatment Market Report
- What is the sales/revenue expected to be generated by systemic lupus erythematosus treatment across all regions during the forecast period?
- What are the opportunities in the systemic lupus erythematosus treatment market?
- What are the major drivers, restraints, opportunities, and threats in the market?
- Which region is set to expand at the fastest CAGR during the forecast period?
- Which product segment is expected to generate the highest revenue, globally, in 2027? Which segment is projected to expand at the highest CAGR during the forecast period?
- What are the market positions of different companies operating in the global market?
Research Objectives and Research Approach
The comprehensive report on the global systemic lupus erythematosus treatment market begins with an overview, followed by the scope and objectives of the study. Following this, the report provides detailed explanation of the objectives behind this study, key vendors and distributors operating in the market, and regulatory scenario for the approval of products.
For reading comprehensibility, the report has been compiled in a chapter-wise layout, with each section divided into smaller sections. The report comprises an exhaustive collection of graphs and tables that are appropriately interspersed. Pictorial representation of actual and projected values of key segments is visually appealing to the readers. This also allows comparison of the market shares of key segments in the past and at the end of the forecast period
Global Systemic Lupus Erythematosus Treatment Market - Segmentation
TMR’s study on the global systemic lupus erythematosus treatment market includes information divided into four segments: drug, mode of delivery, distribution channel, and region. Changing industry trends and other crucial market dynamics associated with these segments of the global systemic lupus erythematosus treatment market are discussed in detail.
Non-steroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDS)
Others (Biologics, B-cell Modulators, etc.)
Mode of Delivery
Middle East & Africa