Retinal Disorder Treatment Market
Retinal Disorder Treatment Market (Disease Indication: Macular Degeneration, Diabetic Retinopathy, Diabetic Macular Edema, and Others; Therapeutic Class: Anti-VEGF Agents and Others (Anti-inflammatory Drugs, etc.); Dosage Form: Gels, Eye Solutions, Capsules & Tablets, Eye Drops, and Ointments; and Distribution Channel: Hospital Pharmacies, Retail Pharmacies, and Online Sales) - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2019 - 2027
Press Release :
Growing Demand for Cutting-edge Therapeutic Treatments for Retinal Diseases to Aid Market Growth
Degenerative retinal diseases are one of the major causes of irreversible vision loss across the world. Multiple studies pertaining to retinal disorders have revealed that diabetic retinopathy and age-related degeneration (AMD) accounts for over 80% of the reported cases of bilateral blindness worldwide. According to the National Eye Institute of the U.S., nearly 7.7 million individuals suffer from diabetic retinopathy across the U.S. and the number is estimated to reach around 11.3 million by 2030. On a global scale, nearly 36 million individuals suffer from complete vision loss and in most cases, the blindness stems from a range of retinal disorders.
The prevalence of retinal disorders is notably higher in low to medium income countries wherein access to efficient and effective healthcare is a major issue. While developed countries, such as the U.S., Canada, Germany, and the U.K., among others, have laid down the groundwork to address retinal disorders, developing countries continue to make gradual improvements in that regard. Within the retinal disorders treatment market, research and development activities have gained significant momentum, especially over the last decade. Due to the growing demand for cutting-edge retinal disorders treatment and noteworthy investments in research, the retinal disorder treatment market is expected to reach a value of ~US$ 17.6 Bn by the end of 2027.
To know the scope of our report Get a Sample on Point-of-Care Retinal Disorder Treatment Market
Progress in Ophthalmic Drug Development to Offer Better Results
In recent times, the development and discovery of new ophthalmic drugs has gained significant momentum. Within the retinal disorders treatment market, drug manufacturers are shifting from traditional drug formulations toward the discovery of new and improved drugs to treat a range of retinal disorders. This factor, along with notable progress in genetic sequencing and molecular biology has paved the way for improved retinal disorders treatment.
Get a glimpse of the in-depth analysis through our Report Brochure
Government, as well as several nonprofit organizations, are increasingly spending on the development of new retinal disorders treatment. Within the retinal disorders treatment market, collaborations between nonprofit organizations and the government are on the rise particularly in developed regions such as North America. For instance, The Foundation Fighting Blindness, a nonprofit organization, is aiding in research pertaining to ophthalmic drug development by funding over 90 researchers around the world. The research activities are largely focusing on the development of new drugs to treat retinal disorders, including inherited retinal degenerative diseases and age-related macular degeneration diseases. Moreover, swift and cost-efficient genetic testing is likely to offer lucrative opportunities for drug developers in the retinal disorder treatment market during the forecast period. Within the retinal disorders treatment market, macular degeneration and diabetic retinopathy disease indication segments are expected to collectively account for over 85% of the total market share, in terms of value– a major factor why researches and studies pertaining to retinal disorders are largely focusing on these disease indications. The macular degeneration disease indication segment is expected to reach a market value of ~US$ 5.3 Bn by 2020 from ~US$ 5.1 Bn in 2019.
Preference for Anti-vascular Endothelial Growth Factor Agents to Remain High
Age-related macular degeneration (AMD), diabetic retinopathy, inherited retinal dystrophies, and diabetic macular degeneration diseases are some of the major retinal disorders that require efficient, reliable, and cost-effective retinal disorder treatments. The advent of anti-vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) agents has redefined retinal disorder treatments, such as neovascular (wet) AMD and diabetic macular edema, among others. The adoption of anti-VEGF injections in the retinal disorder treatment market is expected to scale new heights, as these injections have, repeatedly, proved their efficacy in providing relief from a range of retinal disorders. Despite ongoing research pertaining to alternative drug delivery techniques and drugs, anti-VEGF agents therapeutic class segment is expected to account for a share of over 88% of the retinal disorder treatment market during the forecast period. Anti-VEGF agents segment is likely to reach a market value of ~9.4 Bn by 2020.
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report
The retinal disorder treatment market is expected to grow at an impressive CAGR of ~8% during the forecast period. Strides taken by genetic sequencing and molecular biology have paved the way for the development of a range of retinal disorders treatment in recent times. Moreover, research and development activities funded by governments as well as nonprofit organizations pertaining to the development of novel therapeutic strategies for retinal treatment will provide a significant impetus for growth of the retinal disorder treatment market during the forecast period. North America and Europe are expected to be at the helm, in terms of innovation, owing to robust healthcare systems and favorable government policies.
Retinal Disorder Treatment Market: Overview
- Retinal disorder includes macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, diabetic macular edema, and retinal vein occlusion. Age-related macular degeneration is a condition that affects the part of retina responsible for sharp central vision. Two forms of AMD are dry and wet.
- In case of diabetic retinopathy, retina blood vessels can break down, leak, or get blocked, affecting and impairing vision over time. Nearly half of all people with diabetes are likely to develop some degree of diabetic retinopathy during their lifetime and the risk increases with age and duration of diabetes.
- Other retinal disorders include macular edema, retinitis pigmentosa, retinoblastoma, macular pucker, and retinal detachment
- Anti-VEGF agents are used to treat AMD. The leading products under this segment are F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd.’s Lucentis and Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, Inc.’s Eylea.
- Rise in prevalence of retinal disorders due to increase in geriatric patient population is projected to boost the growth of the retinal disorder treatment market. Age-related macular degeneration (AMD) is the leading cause of irreversible blindness around the globe, affecting approximately 196 million by 2020 and increase to 288 million by 2040 globally. Prevalence estimates are on late AMD, involving neovascular AMD and geographic atrophy. In the U.S, the number of patients suffering from AMD is 11 million. This number is expected to double to nearly 22 million by 2050.
- Age is a prominent risk factor for macular degeneration. The risk of getting advanced age-related macular degeneration increases from 2% for those aging 50 to 59, to nearly 30% for those over the age of 75.
- Strong product pipeline is also likely to drive the market. In September 2019, Allergan received biologics license application from USFDA for abicipar pegol in the treatment of wet age-related macular degeneration.
Market Segmentation: Retinal Disorder Treatment Market
- Based on disease indication, the retinal disorder treatment market has been divided into macular degeneration (dry macular degeneration and wet macular degeneration), diabetic retinopathy, diabetic macular edema, and others (retinal vein occlusion, etc.)
- In terms of therapeutic class, the retinal disorder treatment market has been classified into anti-VEGF agents and others (anti-inflammatory drugs, etc.)
- Based on dosage form, the retinal disorder treatment market has been divided into gels, eye solutions, capsules & tablets, eye drops, and ointments
- In terms of distribution channel, the retinal disorder treatment market has been categorized into hospital pharmacies, retail pharmacies, and online sales
- Each of the segments has been analyzed in detail for market trends, recent trends, and developments, drivers, restraints, opportunities, and useful insights. The report provides current and future revenue (US$ Mn) for each of these segments from 2017 to 2027, considering 2018 as the base year. The compound annual growth rate (% CAGR) has been provided for each segment and market from 2019 to 2027, along with market size estimations.
Geographic Overview: Retinal Disorder Treatment Market
- In terms of region, the retinal disorder treatment market has been segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa. The regions have been divided into major countries and sub-regions.
- The current and future market value in terms of revenue (US$ Mn) of these regional markets and their major countries have been provided in the report from 2017 to 2027, with their CAGRs from 2019 to 2027
- The study also offers a list of recommendations, highlights, and useful insights of the market which would help new companies willing to enter the market and existing companies to increase market shares, and help in the decision-making process.
- The report concludes with the company profiles section that includes key information about the major players in the market
- Leading players analyzed in the report include
- Santen Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.
- Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd.
- Pfizer, Inc.
- Allergan plc
- Shire (Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited)
- Bayer AG
- Graybug Vision, Inc.
- Novartis AG
- Acucela Inc. (Kubota Pharmaceutical Holdings Co., Ltd.).
- Each of these players has been profiled in the report based on parameters such as company overview, financial overview, business strategies, product portfolio, business segments, and recent developments.
Retinal Disorder Treatment Market - Scope of the Report
TMR’s report on the global retinal disorder treatment market studies the past as well as the current growth trends and opportunities to gain valuable insights of the indicators for the market during the forecast period from 2019 to 2027. The report provides revenue of the retinal disorder treatment market for the period 2017–2027, considering 2018 as the base year and 2027 as the forecast year. The report also provides the compound annual growth rate (CAGR %) of the retinal disorder treatment market from 2019 to 2027.
The report is prepared after an extensive research. Primary research involved bulk of the research efforts, wherein analysts carried out interviews with key opinion leaders, industry leaders, and opinion makers. Extensive secondary research involved reaching out to key players’ product literature, annual reports, press releases, and relevant documents to understand the retinal disorder treatment market.
Secondary research also includes Internet sources, statistical data from government agencies, websites, and trade associations. Analysts employed a combination of top-down and bottom-up approaches to study various attributes of the retinal disorder treatment market.
The report includes an elaborate executive summary, along with a snapshot of the growth behavior of various segments and sub-segments included in the scope of the study. Moreover, the report sheds light on changing competitive dynamics in the retinal disorder treatment market. These serve as valuable tools for existing market players as well as for entities interested in participating in the retinal disorder treatment market.
The report delves into the competitive landscape of the retinal disorder treatment market. Key players operating in the retinal disorder treatment market have been identified and each one of these has been profiled in terms of various attributes. Company overview, financial standings, recent developments, and SWOT are the attributes of players in the retinal disorder treatment market that are profiled in this report.
Key Questions Answered in TMR’s Report on Retinal Disorder Treatment Market
- What is the sales/revenue generated by retinal disorder treatment products across all regions during the forecast period?
- What are the opportunities in the retinal disorder treatment market?
- What are the major drivers, restraints, opportunities, and threats in the market?
- In which region is the retinal disorder treatment market set to expand at the fastest CAGR during the forecast period?
- Which product segment is expected to generate the highest revenue globally in 2027? Which segment is projected to expand at the highest CAGR during the forecast period?
- What are the market positions of different companies operating in the global market?
Retinal Disorder Treatment Market - Research Objectives and Research Approach
The comprehensive report on the retinal disorder treatment market begins with an overview, followed by the scope and objectives of the study. Following this, the report provides detailed explanation of the objectives behind this study and key vendors and distributors operating in the market and regulatory scenario for approval of products.
For reading comprehensibility, the report has been compiled in a chapter-wise layout, with each section divided into smaller sections. The report comprises an exhaustive collection of graphs and tables that are appropriately interspersed. Pictorial representation of actual and projected values of key segments is visually appealing to readers. This also allows comparison of the market shares of key segments in the past and at the end of the forecast period.
The report analyzes the retinal disorder treatment market, in terms of disease indication, therapeutic class, dosage form, distribution channel, and region. Key segments under each criteria have been studied at length, and the market share for each of these at the end of 2027 has also been provided. Such valuable insights enable market stakeholders in making informed business decisions for investment in the retinal disorder treatment market.
Retinal Disorder Treatment Market - Segmentation
TMR’s study on the retinal disorder treatment market includes information divided into four segments: disease indication, therapeutic class, dosage form, distribution channel, and region. Changing industry trends and other crucial market dynamics associated with these segments of the retinal disorder treatment market have been discussed in detail.
Diabetic Macular Edema
Others (Retinal Vein Occlusion, etc.)
Others (Anti-inflammatory Drugs, etc.)
Capsules & Tablets
Middle East & Africa