Respiratory Disorders Treatment Market
Respiratory Disorders Treatment Market (Disease: Asthma, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease [COPD], Lung Cancer, Respiratory Tract Infection, Allergic Rhinitis, Cystic Fibrosis [CF], and Others; Drug Class: Bronchodilators, Corticosteroids, Combination Drugs, Antibiotics, Target Therapy, Immunotherapy, CFTR, and Others; Route of Administration: Oral, Nasal, and Injectable; and Distribution Channel: Hospital Pharmacies, Retail Pharmacies, and Online Pharmacies) - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2019 - 2027
Press Release :
Nation-wide Initiatives Fuel Breakthrough Innovations for Coronavirus and Respiratory Disorders Treatment
As governments across the world grapple with the ongoing COVID-19 (coronavirus), the India Health Fund (IHF) is inviting applications from innovators to address respiratory and airborne infections through its nation-wide search, Quest 2020. Such initiatives are encouraging effective solutions addressing respiratory disorders treatment. Thus, governments in other countries such as the U.S., Italy, and Spain can take cues from such nation-wide initiatives that can help to control COVID-19.
Since coronavirus directly affects the respiratory system of patients, governments, and laboratories have accelerated their research to minimize the severity of the virus among the affected and new patients. Ongoing R&D activities hold promising potential for innovations in the respiratory disorders treatment market. Top-tier companies in India are extending their arms to fund government initiatives in respiratory disorders treatment market. These initiatives are prioritizing the identification and diagnosis of coronavirus. There is a growing need for pre-validated solutions that can be extended for the treatment of coronavirus and other respiratory conditions.
To know the scope of our report Get a Sample on Respiratory Disorders Treatment Market
Startups Innovate in Handheld Devices Capable of Delivering Information on Medication Concentrations
There is a growing demand for handheld devices capable of detecting biomarkers and molecules that deploy instant feedback on respiratory disorders. Hence, NOWA Innovations-a University of California, Irvine (UCI) startup, has introduced Unaresp™, a novel device that identifies inhaled medication concentrations and trains patients to correctly inhale medications. Such innovations are anticipated to boost the expansion of the respiratory disorders treatment market, where the market is expected to reach ~US$ 108 Bn by 2027.
Get a glimpse of the in-depth analysis through our Report Brochure
Companies in the respiratory disorders treatment market are increasing their R&D capabilities to develop devices that deliver information about the quality of the patient’s exhalation and the probability of an inflamed airway. Thus, useful information on airway and breath quality is predicted to improve patient outcomes in the respiratory disorders treatment market. Companies in the market for respiratory disorders treatment are increasing efforts to fast-track the device’s approval with the FDA for future commercialization.
Lung Microbiome Deploys Individual Treatment Decisions and Disease Status
The concept of lung microbiome is acquiring popularity in the respiratory disorders treatment market. Since some of the microorganisms in lungs are uninvited gatecrashers, lung microbiome helps to provide information about the status of an individual’s disease status.
Lung microbiome is as unique as an individual’s fingerprint, thus resulting in guided individual treatment decisions that help improve patient quality of life. The novel technique also has the potential to guide companies in the respiratory disorders treatment market to develop new medicines. As such, modern laboratory techniques are being deployed to gain information about the quantity and specificity of bacteria present in the sputum samples of individuals.
Several factors such as different organisms moving into the airways as well as environmental factors determine the composition of the lung microbiome among individuals. Thus, the importance of ‘friendly’ gut bacteria is gaining widespread acceptance for respiratory disorders treatment. Healthcare providers in the market of respiratory disorders treatment can increase their efficacy in lung microbiome to identify the symptoms and perhaps decipher the slow progression of respiratory infections.
Demand for Equipment in Low-income Countries to Differentiate Asthma against Self-limiting Viral Infections
Asthma is one of the most common non-communicable disease among children, with a high prevalence worldwide. This is evident since asthma dictates the highest revenue among all diseases in the respiratory disorders treatment market, where the market estimated to progress at a healthy CAGR of ~6% during the forecast period. However, challenges concerning non-availability of equipment and medications for the treatment of asthma in low-resource settings pose as a barrier for market growth. Hence, companies in the respiratory disorders treatment market should increase their production capabilities to meet the demands of healthcare facilities in low-income countries.
Sufficient availability of equipment and necessary medications helps healthcare professionals to differentiate between common respiratory conditions such as pneumonia and asthma versus self-limiting viral infections. Apart from this, there is a growing awareness about non-pharmacological interventions that are underutilized, but can ease symptoms of patients requiring respiratory disorders treatment.
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report
Given the current public health exigencies amidst the COVID-19 crisis, nation-wide search programs inviting innovators to showcase pre-validated solutions are helping to control the virus. The concept of lung microbiome is acquiring widespread acceptance in the respiratory disorders treatment market to demonstrate how microbiomes are associated with other disorders such as cancer, stroke, and obesity.
Non-pharmacological interventions such as cognitive behavioral techniques are helping to improve the quality of life of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) patients. However, there is a need to educate asthma and COPD patients on how to take their medications, which is one of the biggest issues that companies face. Hence, companies should gain expertise in devices that train patients on how to properly inhale their medications.
Respiratory Disorders Treatment Market: Overview
- According to Transparency Market Research’s latest report on the respiratory disorders treatment market for the historical period 2017–2018 and forecast period 2019–2027, increase in incidence of respiratory disorders, surge in supportive care products to meet the rise in demand for treatment of respiratory disorders, entry of new players, and rise in access to healthcare are projected to drive the global respiratory disorders treatment market
- According to the report, the global respiratory disorders treatment market was valued at ~US$ 64 Bn in 2018 and is anticipated to expand at a CAGR of ~6% from 2019 to 2027
Rise in Prevalence of Respiratory Disorders and Surge in Adoption of Combination Therapy: Key Drivers
- Rise in focus on smart or digital inhalers for administration of asthma or COPD drugs drives the global respiratory disorders treatment market
- Combination therapy includes LAMA-ICS and LABA-ICS. Adoption of combination therapy is increasing, as these are more effective than the separate use of bronchodilator and corticosteroid. Moreover, the number of patients being successfully treated with combination therapy has increased.
- Regulatory authorities such as the FDA, the European Commission, and the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare (MHLW) have approved the use of combination drugs for the treatment of respiratory disorders such as asthma and COPD
- According to the WHO, prevalence of allergic diseases in the developed world has increased significantly in the past 50 years. According to the World Health Organization (White Book on Allergy 2011–2012), allergic rhinitis affects around 30% of the global population.
- According to the Global Burden of Disease Study, 251 million COPD cases were reported in 2016 and 3.17 million deaths were caused due to the disease in 2015. Therefore, there is a need of early diagnosis and treatment of the disease.
Focus on Geographic Expansion
- Most respiratory disorder-related deaths occur in low- and lower-middle income countries. High prevalence of respiratory diseases, increase in availability of quality health care services, and growth of the pharmaceutical industry in emerging economies across the globe are creating lucrative opportunities in the respiratory disorders treatment market in these countries.
- China and Japan are likely to present significant opportunities in the market due to the presence of leading players. In November 2015, F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd. opened its new pharmaceutical manufacturing center in Shanghai, China.
- Rapid adoption of emerging technologies and surge in innovation are the other important aspects that present opportunities in the respiratory disorders treatment market. Moreover, rapid growth and development of the pharmaceutical industry, rise in availability of branded drugs, and increase of burden of respiratory diseases augment the respiratory disorders treatment market.
Patent Expiry of Branded Products and Availability of Generic Equivalents to Hamper Global Respiratory Disorders Treatment Market
- Patents prevent other manufacturers from developing drugs that are being exclusively manufactured by the patent holder. Patent expiry of branded drugs has a significant impact on the pharmaceutical industry. Patent expiry hampers the revenue generated from the sale of branded drugs and can affect the market share of a company.
- A few players in the respiratory disorders treatment market face the threat of patient expiry, which increases the availability of generic versions of drugs and create pricing pressure on the manufacturers
- For instance, AstraZeneca’s Symbicort Turbuhaler went off patent in Europe in 2019, while patents of GlaxoSmithKline plc’s Qvar, Singulair, and Diskus have expired. This is likely to lead to dramatic losses in sales, thereby affecting positions of the companies in the global respiratory disorders treatment market.
Respiratory Disorders Treatment Market: Competition Landscape
- This report profiles major players in the global respiratory disorders treatment market based on various attributes such as company overview, financial overview, product portfolio, business strategies, and recent developments
- The global respiratory disorders treatment market is less fragmented, with the presence of large number of international as well as regional players
- Leading players operating in the global respiratory disorders treatment market are
- Mylan N.V
- AstraZeneca plc
- Boehringer Ingelheim International GmbH
- F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd.
- GlaxoSmithKline plc
- Merck & Co., Inc.
- Novartis AG
- Sunovion Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Teva Pharmaceutical Industries
- CHIESI Farmaceutici S.p.A.
- Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated.
- These players account for over 50% share of the global market.
Respiratory Disorders Treatment Market: Key Developments
- Key players in the global respiratory disorders treatment market are engaged in regulatory approvals, technologically advanced products, launch of new products, and acquisition & collaborative agreements with other companies. These strategies of key players are likely to fuel the growth of the global respiratory disorders treatment market. A few expansion strategies adopted by players operating in the respiratory disorders treatment market are:
- In September 2019, GlaxoSmithKline plc announced the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval for its biologics Nucala (mepolizumab) for the treatment of severe eosinophilic asthma in children aged between 6 and 11. This approval has extended the add-on treatment for severe eosinophilic asthma in the U.S. for patients between 6 and 11.
- In July 2019, AstraZeneca received positive opinion from the European Medicines Agency’s Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP) to use Fasenra (benralizumab) in pre-filled, single-use auto-injector (the Fasenra pen). This enabled doctors to treat several patients suffering from severe eosinophilic asthma with biologics.
- In April 2019, Boehringer Ingelheim International GmbH invested EUR 105 Mn to expand its production sites in Dortmund and Ingelheim in Germany for development of respiratory pipeline products. This investment and expansion would boost the production capacity of next-gen inhaler Respimat in Europe.
- The report on the global respiratory disorders treatment market discussed individual strategies, followed by company profiles of manufacturers of respiratory disorders treatment products. The competitive landscape section has been included in the respiratory disorders treatment market report to provide readers with a dashboard view and a company market share analysis of key players operating in the global respiratory disorders treatment market.
Respiratory Disorders Treatment Market - Scope of the Report
TMR’s report on the global respiratory disorders treatment market studies past as well as current growth trends and opportunities to gain valuable insights of these indicators for the market during the forecast period from 2019 to 2027. The report provides revenue of the global respiratory disorders treatment market for the period from 2017 to 2027, considering 2018 as the base year and 2027 as the forecast year. The report also provides the compound annual growth rate (CAGR) for the global respiratory disorders treatment market during the forecast period.
The report has been prepared after primary and secondary researches. Primary research involved bulk of research efforts, wherein analysts carried out interviews with industry leaders and opinion makers. Secondary research involved referring to key players’ product literature, annual reports, press releases, and relevant documents to understand the global respiratory disorders treatment market.
Secondary research also includes Internet sources, statistical data from government agencies, websites, company presentations, sales data, and trade associations. Analysts have employed a combination of top-down and bottom-up approaches to study various phenomenon in the global respiratory disorders treatment market.
The report includes an elaborate executive summary, along with a snapshot of the growth behavior of various segments included in the scope of the study. Furthermore, the report sheds light on changing competitive dynamics in the global respiratory disorders treatment market. These indices serve as valuable tools for existing market players as well as for entities interested in entering the global respiratory disorders treatment market.
The report delves into the competitive landscape of the global respiratory disorders treatment market. Key players operating in the global respiratory disorders treatment market have been identified, and each one of these has been profiled for distinguishing business attributes. Company overview, financial standings, recent developments, and SWOT are some of the attributes of players in the global respiratory disorders treatment market that have been profiled in this report.
Key Questions Answered in Respiratory Disorders Treatment Market Report
- What is the scope of growth of combination drugs in the global respiratory disorders treatment market?
- What will be the Y-o-Y growth of the global respiratory disorders treatment market between 2019 and 2027?
- What is the influence of changing trends in target therapies on the global respiratory disorders treatment market?
- Will North America continue to be the most profitable regional market for respiratory disorders treatment providers?
- Which factors are anticipated to hamper the growth of the global respiratory disorders treatment market during the forecast period?
- Which are the leading companies in the global respiratory disorders treatment market?
A unique research methodology has been utilized by TMR to conduct comprehensive research on the growth of the global respiratory disorders treatment market. This research methodology is a combination of primary and secondary researches, which helps analysts to warrant the accuracy and reliability of the drawn conclusions.
Secondary methods referred to by analysts during the production of the global respiratory disorders treatment market report include statistics from company annual reports, SEC filings, company websites, investor presentations, regulatory databases, government publications, and industry white papers. Analysts have also interviewed senior managers, product portfolio managers, CEOs, VPs, and market intelligence managers, who contributed to the production of TMR’s study on the respiratory disorders treatment market.
These primary and secondary methods have provided exclusive information during interviews, which serves as a validation from the respiratory disorders treatment market leaders. Access to an extensive internal repository and external proprietary databases enabled this report to address specific details and questions about the global respiratory disorders treatment market with accuracy. The study also uses the top-down approach to assess the revenue for each segment and the bottom-up approach to counter-validate them. This has helped in reaching TMR’s estimates on future projection of the global respiratory disorders treatment market more reliably and accurately.
Respiratory Disorders Treatment Market - Segmentation
Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
Respiratory Tract Infection
Cystic Fibrosis (CF)
Route of Administration
Middle East & Africa