Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Treatment Market
Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Treatment Market (Drug Class: Combination Therapy, Corticosteroids, Phosphodiesterase Type 4 Inhibitors, Mucokinetics, Bronchodilators, Others; Distribution Channel: Hospital Pharmacies, Retail Pharmacies, Online Pharmacies) - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2019 - 2027
Press Release :
Innovations in Combination Therapy to Dominate COPD Treatment Market
The chronic obstructive pulmonary disease treatment market is projected to be valued at ~US$ 26.2 billion in the year 2027. The high prevalence of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and the need for improved treatment options are catalyzing market growth.
To meet the needs of patients, healthcare companies in the COPD treatment market are developing efficacious treatment options in combination therapy. Revenue of combination therapy was valued at ~US$ 9.6 billion in 2018; the highest amongst all the drug classes in the chronic obstructive pulmonary disease treatment market.
With increased research & development, healthcare companies are innovating new triple combination therapies. For instance, in June 2019, AstraZeneca — an English-Swedish multinational pharmaceutical company, announced the approval of Breztri Aerosphere — a pressurized metered dose inhaler with built-in triple combination therapy for patients suffering from moderate to severe COPD in Japan. Stakeholders in the chronic obstructive pulmonary disease treatment market are running continuous clinical trials to meet the primary endpoints of the disease.
To understand how our report can bring difference to your business strategy, Ask for a brochure
Dual and Triple Therapies Minimize Moderate and Severe Exacerbations
With ongoing developments in the chronic obstructive pulmonary disease treatment market, healthcare companies are weighing the responses and combination of therapies in patients. As such, there is a strife between the credibility of dual combination therapy and long acting bronchodilators for treatment in COPD patients.
To achieve greater effectiveness of therapies in the chronic obstructive pulmonary disease treatment market, manufacturers have integrated combinations of bronchodilators to treat patients with moderate to severe COPD. This includes the combination of long acting beta agonist (LABA) with long acting muscarinic antagonist (LAMA). Thus, the LAMA and LABA group of inhalers are considered safe and effective in COPD patients.
Also, triple therapy has shown better outcome in patients as compared to single-agent LAMA monotherapy in the COPD treatment market. Compared with LAMA monotherapy, triple therapy helps to drastically reduce moderate or severe exacerbations. Thus, healthcare companies are making significant improvements to enhance triple therapy against dual therapy LABA/LAMA.
Request a sample to get extensive insights into the Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Treatment Market
Improved Bronchodilators Reduce Reversibility in Patients
Stakeholders in the chronic obstructive pulmonary disease treatment landscape are developing methods to reduce emphysema and the mortality rates of patients. This has instigated the need for combined bronchodilator response (BDR) in patients. Revenue of bronchodilators in the COPD treatment market is estimated to reach a value of ~US$ 5.5 billion by 2027; the second-highest amongst all drug classes. This is why, healthcare professionals are taking regular follow-ups on patients with combined-BDR. However, the results in combined-BDR are associated with greater frequency of exacerbations and symptoms of asthma. Thus, healthcare companies are increasing research to identify patients with asthma-COPD overlaps, and developing treatment alternatives that result in improved outcomes.
Studies published in the European Respiratory Journal stated that, bronchodilator reversibility might not distinguish asthma from COPD. It was also found that, the prevalence of bronchodilator reversibility was higher in patients with COPD than in asthma patients. Thus, with the help of bronchodilator response testing, healthcare companies are developing improved prebronchodilators that minimize the adverse effects in patients.
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report on “Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Treatment Market”
Analysts’ Viewpoint on COPD Treatment Market
The chronic obstructive pulmonary disease treatment market is anticipated for high growth during the forecast period. Although retail pharmacies dominate more than half of the market share, online pharmacies are expected to experience steady growth in the market. Healthcare companies are introducing digital inhalers with built-in sensors for patients suffering from COPD. For instance, in December 2018, Teva Pharmaceutical Industries — a leading Israeli multinational pharmaceutical company, announced the launch of ProAir® Digihaler™ — a digital inhaler with Bluetooth wireless technology for patients with asthma and COPD. However, healthcare companies are developing improved therapies to reduce the reversibility of inhalers in patients. Thus, manufacturers should focus on increasing triple therapy treatment options to effectively minimize exacerbations.
Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Treatment Market: Overview
- According to Transparency Market Research’s latest report on the chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) treatment market for the historical period of 2017-2018 and forecast period of 2019-2027, increasing burden of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, rise in geriatric population, and surge in product approvals and launches are expected to boost the global chronic obstructive pulmonary disease treatment market during the forecast period.
- According to the report, the global chronic obstructive pulmonary disease treatment market was valued at ~US$ 17.4 Bn in 2018. The COPD treatment market is expected to expand at a CAGR of ~5% from 2019 to 2027.
Increase in Prevalence of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease: A Key Driver of COPD Treatment Market
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) is a major health concern affecting a large number of people across the globe. The disease burden is rising, thereby increasing the need for COPD management, and this is anticipated to drive the global chronic obstructive pulmonary disease treatment market.
- Tobacco smoking could also lead to COPD, as such, boosting the COPD treatment market. The number of adults addicted to smoking has been increasing. Other risk factors include occupation and indoor air pollution. According to the WHO, the primary cause of COPD is exposure to tobacco smoke (either active smoking or passive smoking).
- According to an article published by Medscape in April 2019, the prevalence of COPD, worldwide, varies between 7 - 19%. The Burden of Obstructive Lung Disease (BOLD) study found a global prevalence of 10.1%. Men have a pooled prevalence of 11.8%, while it has a prevalence of 8.5% in women. The numbers vary across different regions around the world. Cape Town, South Africa, has the highest prevalence, affecting 22.2% of men and 16.7% of women.
- According to a report by the Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease (GOLD) published in 2018, the prevalence and burden of COPD are projected to increase in the near future, due to continued exposure to COPD risk factors and aging of the world’s population, which is thereby boosting the growth of the chronic obstructive pulmonary disease treatment market.
Increase in Adoption of Combination Therapy: A Key Driver of COPD Treatment Market
- Combination therapy includes LAMA-ICS, LABA-ICS, triple therapy, and other combination drugs, which are anticipated to drive the chronic obstructive pulmonary disease treatment market.
- The adoption of combination therapy is increasing, as it is more effective than separate use of bronchodilator and corticosteroid. There has been an increase in the number of patients being successfully treated with combination therapy, who were not showing signs of recovery with bronchodilators or corticosteroids treatments, which is thereby boosting the growth of the COPD treatment market.
- Combination therapy is more effective than monotherapy for improving the symptoms and quality of life.
- Regulatory authorities such as the FDA, the European Commission, and the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare (MHLW), which is a cabinet level ministry of the Japanese government, have approved the use of combination drugs for the treatment of COPD. In November 2018, GlaxoSmithKline plc and Innoviva, Inc. received authorization from the European Commission for the expanded use of once-daily Trelegy Ellipta, the first single inhaler triple therapy indicated for COPD patients who were not adequately treated with dual bronchodilation. These drugs have a longer patent cover, i.e., till 2030, which will lead to high valuation of the chronic obstructive pulmonary disease treatment market.
- In April 2019, the FDA approved the combination therapy for COPD maintenance. A fixed-dose combination of long-acting muscarinic antagonist (LAMA) aclidinium bromide (400 mcg) and long-acting beta-agonist (LABA) formoterol fumarate (12 mcg) has been approved by the FDA for the maintenance and treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
- Increase in the success rate of combination therapy for COPD treatment and recent regulatory approvals have propelled the adoption of combination therapy in COPD management, thereby boosting the growth of the COPD treatment market.
Patent Expiry of Branded Products and Availability of Generic Equivalents Hamper Market
- Patents prevent other manufacturers from developing drugs that are being exclusively manufactured by a patent holder. The patent expiry of branded drugs has a significant impact on the pharmaceutical industry.
- In case of the COPD treatment market, a few of the players face the threat of patient expiry, which further increases the availability of generic versions of drugs and creates pricing pressure on manufacturers.
- Patent expiry declines revenue generated from the sales of branded drugs, and can affect the market share of a company. For instance, Flixotide/Flovent, Advair, and Serevent are major respiratory products manufactured by GlaxoSmithKline, which are now facing patent expiry. This is likely to lead to a decline in sales, thereby affecting the company’s market position. In January 2019, the FDA approved Mylan's Wixela Inhub, the first generic version of Advair Diskus for the treatment of asthma and COPD.
- The availability of generic versions of medicines in the market affects the sales of branded drugs in developed regions such as North America and Europe, and causes pricing pressure, as such, restraining the growth of the chronic obstructive disease treatment market.
Global Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Market: Competition Landscape
- This report profiles major players in the global COPD treatment market based on various attributes such as company overview, financial overview, product portfolio, business strategies, and recent developments
Prominent players operating in the global chronic obstructive pulmonary disease treatment market include
- Boehringer Ingelheim International GmbH
- GlaxoSmithKline plc
- Novartis AG
- Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
- Sunovion Pharmaceuticals Inc. (Sumitomo Dainippon Pharma Co., Ltd.)
- CHIESI Farmaceutici S.p.A.
- Orion Corporation
- Mylan N.V.
Global Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Treatment Market: Key Developments
Key players in the global chronic obstructive pulmonary disease treatment market are engaged in the development of new products, key mergers & acquisitions, collaborations, and integration. Major developments by industry players are likely to fuel the expansion of the global COPD treatment market. Some of the growth strategies adopted by players in the global chronic obstructive pulmonary disease treatment market are as follows:
- In January 2019, CHIESI Farmaceutici S.p.A. entered into an exclusive global license agreement with TiumBio, a clinical-stage private biotech company based in South Korea. TiumBio specializes in research on innovative drugs for rare diseases. This agreement is aimed at developing innovative molecules for use in the treatment of respiratory diseases.
- In November 2018, GlaxoSmithKline plc and Innoviva, Inc. announced authorization from the European Commission for the expanded use of once-daily Trelegy Ellipta, the first single inhaler triple therapy indicated for COPD. This expansion would help the company to cater to the treatment needs of COPD patients who were not receiving adequate treated with dual bronchodilation.
- In March 2015, AstraZeneca acquired Actavis’ branded respiratory business in the U.S. and Canada, with the aim to strengthen its product portfolio in the respiratory business. AstraZeneca owned the rights for branded respiratory drugs such as TudorzaTM PressairTM, Duaklir Genuair, and Daliresp (roflumilast).
The report on the global chronic obstructive pulmonary disease treatment market discusses individual strategies, followed by the company profiles of manufacturers of COPD treatment options. The ‘Competition Landscape’ section is included in the COPD market report to provide readers with a dashboard view and a company market share analysis of key players operating in the global chronic obstructive pulmonary disease treatment market.
Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Treatment Market – Scope of the Report
TMR’s report on the global chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) treatment market studies the past as well as current growth trends and opportunities to gain valuable insights of the same indicators for the said market during the forecast period of 2019 to 2027. The report provides the overall market revenue of the global chronic obstructive pulmonary disease treatment market for the period of 2017–2027, with 2018 as the base year and 2027 as the forecast year. The report also provides the compound annual growth rate (CAGR) for the global chronic obstructive pulmonary disease treatment market during the forecast period.
The report is prepared after extensive research. Primary research involves bulk of the research efforts, wherein, analysts carried out interviews with industry leaders and opinion makers. Extensive secondary research involves referring to key players’ product literature, annual reports, press releases, and relevant documents to understand the global COPD treatment market.
Secondary research also includes Internet sources, statistical data from government agencies, websites, and trade associations. Analysts employed a combination of the top-down and bottom-up approaches to study various phenomena in the global chronic obstructive pulmonary disease treatment market.
The report includes an elaborate executive summary, along with a snapshot of the growth behavior of various segments and sub-segments included in the scope of the study. Furthermore, the report sheds light on the changing competitive dynamics in the global chronic obstructive pulmonary disease treatment market. These indices serve as valuable tools for existing market players as well as for entities interested in entering the global chronic obstructive pulmonary disease treatment market.
The report delves into the competition landscape of the global COPD treatment market. Key players operating in the global chronic obstructive pulmonary disease treatment market have been identified, and each one of them has been profiled for their distinguishing business attributes. Company overview, financial standings, recent developments, and SWOTs are some of the attributes of the players in the global COPD treatment market that have been profiled in this report.
Key Questions Answered in the COPD Treatment Market Report
- What is the scope of growth for companies in the global chronic obstructive pulmonary disease treatment market?
- What will be the Y-o-Y growth of the global chronic obstructive pulmonary disease treatment market between 2019 and 2027?
- Will North America continue to remain the most profitable regional market for COPD treatment providers?
- Which factors will impede the growth of the global chronic obstructive pulmonary disease treatment market during the forecast period?
- Which are the leading companies in the global COPD treatment market?
A unique research methodology has been utilized by TMR to conduct a comprehensive research on the growth of the global chronic obstructive pulmonary disease treatment market, and arrive at conclusions on the future growth prospects of the COPD treatment market. This research methodology is a combination of primary and secondary research, which helps analysts warrant the accuracy and reliability of the drawn conclusions.
Secondary sources referred to by analysts during the production of the global chronic obstructive pulmonary disease treatment market report include statistics from company annual reports, SEC filings, company websites, World Bank database, investor presentations, regulatory databases, government publications, and industry white papers. Analysts have also interviewed senior managers, product portfolio managers, CEOs, VPs, and market intelligence managers, who contributed to the production of TMR’s study on the COPD treatment market as primary sources.
These primary and secondary sources have provided exclusive information during interviews, which serves as a validation from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease treatment market leaders. Access to an extensive internal repository and external proprietary databases allows this report to address specific details and questions about the global chronic obstructive pulmonary disease treatment market with accuracy. The study also uses the top-down approach to assess the numbers for each segment, and the bottom-up approach to counter-validate them. This has helped in reaching TMR’s estimates on the future prospects of the global chronic obstructive pulmonary disease treatment market more reliably and accurately.
Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Treatment Market – Segmentation