Respiratory Antiviral Treatment: Introduction
- Antiviral drugs are therapeutics that prevent the development and replication of virus without affecting the host cells. These drugs do not destroy their target virus, as it is an obligatory intracellular parasite. Instead, these inhibit their propagation by deactivating the viral enzymes.
- Antiviral drugs are utilized to treat various types of respiratory conditions such as influenza, bronchiolitis, upper respiratory tract infections (URTI), pneumonia, and measles due to their effectiveness
- Most common antiviral drugs used in the treatment of respiratory diseases includes ribavirin, aciclovir, amantadine, rimantadine, and oseltamivir
Key Drivers of Global Respiratory Antiviral Treatment Market
- Rise in prevalence of viral respiratory infections in humans and increase in health care expenditure are projected to boost the growth of the global respiratory antiviral treatment market during the forecast period. Respiratory syncytial virus, influenza virus, parainfluenza virus, adenovirus, rhinovirus, and coronavirus belong to the respiratory virus infections group. Increase in number of patients with influenza, coronavirus, upper respiratory tract infections (URTI), and pneumonia is anticipated to fuel the growth of the global respiratory antiviral treatment market from 2020 to 2030. According to the World Health Organization, around 1.9 million people are suffering from coronavirus and 123,126 confirmed death due to coronavirus were recorded to date. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, pneumonia accounted for around 49,157 deaths in the U.S. in 2017.
- Increase in government initiatives and rise in awareness about viral respiratory infections among the general population fuel the growth of the global respiratory antiviral treatment market. Moreover, rich product pipeline, increase in health care funding, improving health care facilities, and surge in research & development activities are expected to augment the global respiratory antiviral treatment market.
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF sample of this report
Neuraminidase Inhibitors to Witness High Demand
- In terms of drug class, the global respiratory antiviral treatment market can be classified into nucleoside analogs, neuraminidase inhibitors, ion channel blockers, and fusion protein inhibitors
- The neuraminidase inhibitors segment accounted for the largest share of the global respiratory antiviral treatment market in 2019. The segment is likely to dominate the global market because oseltamivir, zanamivir, and other drugs are most commonly used in the treatment of respiratory diseases. The nucleoside analogs segment is projected to witness significant growth during the forecast period due to increase in use of ribavirin in the treatment of respiratory diseases.
Influenza Segment to Experience Strong Growth
- Based on disease type, the global respiratory antiviral treatment market can be categorized into influenza, bronchiolitis, upper respiratory tract infections (URTI), pneumonia, measles, and others
- The influenza segment generated the highest revenue in 2019 and the trend is anticipated to continue during the forecast period. This can be attributed to high incidence rate of influenza. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, around 9.7 million people were suffering from influenza in the U.S. as of October 2019.
Hospital Pharmacies to be Most Promising Segment
- In terms of distribution channel, the global respiratory antiviral treatment market can be divided into hospital pharmacies, retail pharmacies, and online pharmacies. Hospital pharmacies was the largest segment in terms of revenue in 2019. The segment is expected to witness strong growth during the forecast period due to increase in number of patients with influenza, bronchiolitis, upper respiratory tract infections (URTI), and pneumonia.
North America to Dominate Global Respiratory Antiviral Treatment Market
- In terms of region, the global respiratory antiviral treatment market can be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America dominated the global respiratory antiviral treatment market in 2019 and the trend is likely to continue during the forecast period. High number of patients with influenza, bronchiolitis, upper respiratory tract infections (URTI), and coronavirus; early adoption of new products, and presence of major manufacturers are projected to boost the growth of the respiratory antiviral treatment market in North America during the forecast period.
- The market in Asia Pacific is anticipated to expand at the highest CAGR during the forecast period owing to launch of new products and rise in demand for respiratory antiviral treatment in emerging markets such as India and China.
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report
Key Players Operating in Global Respiratory Antiviral Treatment Market
The global respiratory antiviral treatment market was highly fragmented in 2019. Key players operating in the global market are:
- Novartis AG
- Pfizer, Inc.
- Johnson & Johnson
- AstraZeneca plc
- Zydus Pharmaceutical, Inc.
- Genentech, Inc. (Roche)
- Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited
Global Respiratory Antiviral Treatment Market: Research Scope
Global Respiratory Antiviral Treatment Market, by Drug Class
- Nucleoside Analogs
- Neuraminidase Inhibitors
- Ion Channel Blockers
- Fusion Protein Inhibitors
Global Respiratory Antiviral Treatment Market, by Disease Type
- Upper Respiratory Tract Infections (URTIs)
Global Respiratory Antiviral Treatment Market, by Distribution Channel
- Hospital Pharmacies
- Retail Pharmacies
- Online Sales
Global Respiratory Antiviral Treatment Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.