Rare Dermatological Disease Treatment Market
Rare Dermatological Disease Treatment Market (Major Indication: Systemic Sclerosis [Scleroderma], Epidermolysis Bullosa [EB], Pemphigus Vulgaris, and Cutaneous Lupus Erythematosus; Treatment: Corticosteroids, Immunosuppressants, Anti-inflammatory Agents, Antibiotics, Analgesics, and Others; and Distribution Channel: Hospital Pharmacies, Retail Pharmacies, and Online Pharmacies) - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2021-2031
- 206 Pages
Deep Investigation on Interactions Between COVID-19 and Systemic Sclerosis
The COVID-19 pandemic poses a serious challenge for the management of patients with different pre-existing conditions, including autoimmune diseases such as systemic sclerosis. Companies in the rare dermatological disease treatment market are under scrutiny for robust supply of treatments and medications such as antibiotics, immunosuppressants, and corticosteroids, among others, to support the health of patients.
Systemic sclerosis represents one of the most severe connective tissue diseases with multi-organ involvement, owing to concomitancy of fibrosing and microvascular alterations. Hence, companies in the rare dermatological disease treatment market are boosting their production capacities in medications to reduce morbidity and mortality rates. The deep investigation on the possible interactions between SARS-CoV-2 infection and a compromised host immune system might provide useful pathogenic and therapeutic insights into both coronavirus and systemic sclerosis.
To know the scope of our report Get a Sample on Rare Dermatological Disease Treatment Market
R&D Helps to Explore Novel Treatments for EB
The rare dermatological disease treatment market is expected to surpass US$ 6.17 Bn by 2031. Since there is no curative treatment for epidermolysis bullosa (EB), there is a need for advances in understanding molecular genetics and underlying pathomechanisms of different forms of EB. Companies are expected to team with researchers to deploy promising R&D for exploring novel treatments for EB.
Stakeholders and researchers are gaining a strong research base in topical medications for wound care in order to accelerate wound healing. This has the potential in wound care across different forms of EB.
Get a glimpse of the in-depth analysis through our Report Brochure
Rituximab Gains Prominence in Effective Pemphigus Vulgaris Treatment
The rare dermatological disease treatment market is estimated to clock a CAGR of 4.9% from 2021 to 2031. The therapeutic management of pemphigus vulgaris (PV) involves the combination of systemic corticosteroids and potentially corticosteroid-sparing immunosuppressive drugs, namely azathioprine and mycophenolate mofetil as the standard first-line therapy by most clinicians.
Manufacturers in the rare dermatological disease treatment market are bolstering their output capabilities of Rituximab in order to treat severe forms of pemphigus vulgaris. Patients initially treated with prednisone/prednisolone plus Rituximab and who have persistent active lesions are being recommended to increase the doses of prednisone/prednisolone. Moderate and severe types of pemphigus vulgaris are being treated with Rituximab administered as a monotherapy or associated with topical corticosteroids in patients with absolute contraindication to systemic corticosteroid therapy.
Therapeutic Patient Education Helps in Better Understanding of Systemic Sclerosis
The use of cyclophosphamide at very high doses during intensive conditioning procedures for myelosuppressive or myeloablative purposes, with or without antilymphocytic serum followed by autologous hematopoietic stem cell (HSC) transplantation has proved effective in the systemic sclerosis treatment. Companies in the rare dermatological disease treatment market are increasing their focus on these treatment options for severe and rapidly progressive forms of systemic sclerosis.
In order to improve patient quality of life, non-pharmacological therapies such as functional rehabilitation are being recommended to combat systemic sclerosis. Companies and healthcare providers in the rare dermatological disease treatment market are increasing awareness about therapeutic patient education (TPE) to obtain a better understanding of the disease.
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report
Given the unpredictable and threatening course of the COVID-19 pandemic, valuable prevention and management strategies are being implemented at healthcare facilities for systemic sclerosis patients. Therapeutic patient education is emerging as an effective strategy to acquire and maintain the skills to better manage systemic sclerosis. There is a need to limit common side effects usually associated with long-term immunosuppressive or corticosteroid treatment for pemphigus vulgaris. Companies in the rare dermatological disease treatment market should increase investments in research to develop novel treatment options for pemphigus vulgaris. Additional supportive treatments such as intralesional injections of corticosteroids are being considered for isolated lesions of oral mucosa, lips, and skin of pemphigus vulgaris patients.
Rare Dermatological Disease Treatment Market: Overview
- According to Transparency Market Research’s latest report on the global rare dermatological disease treatment market for the historical period of 2017–2019 and forecast period of 2021–2031, increase in incidence of rare diseases and surge in research & development for orphan drugs are projected to drive the global rare dermatological disease treatment market during the forecast period
- According to the report, the global rare dermatological disease treatment market was valued over US$ 3.66 Bn in 2020. It is anticipated to expand at a CAGR of 4.9% from 2021 to 2031.
Rise in Prevalence of Rare Dermatological Disease: Key Driver
- According to the European Union, rare dermatological disease is defined as a rare disease with a prevalence of no more than 50 people per 100,000 population, while in the U.S. rare disease is defined as a condition that affects fewer than 200,000 individuals
- According to the United States National Epidermolysis Bullosa Registry, the overall incidence and prevalence of epidermolysis bullosa is 19.6 and 11.07 cases per 1 million live births, respectively. Incidence and prevalence of epidermolysis bullosa simplex was 7.87 and 6 cases per 1 million live births, respectively.
- According to the National Epidermolysis Bullosa Registry, the prevalence of epidermolysis bullosa in Norway is 54 cases per million live births, 7.8 cases per million live births in Japan, 15.4 cases per million live births in Italy, 10.3 cases per million live births in Australia, and 9.6 cases per million live births in Croatia
- According to the Lupus Foundation of America, nearly 1.5 million people in the U.S. and 5 million to 6 million people across the global are affected with various form of lupus. Systemic lupus erythematosus affects about 70% of all cases of lupus.
- Most people with lupus develop the disease between the ages of 15 and 44. Women are more prone to develop this disease compared to men. According to the Lupus Foundation of America, nine out of 10 adults with lupus are women and one in three lupus patients suffer from multiple autoimmune diseases.
- According to WebMD LLC, pemphigus vulgaris has been reported to occur worldwide. Pemphigus vulgaris incidence varies from 0.5 to 3.2 cases per 100,000 population. Incidence of pemphigus vulgaris has increased in patients of Ashkenazi Jewish descent and those of Mediterranean origin.
- Hence, rise in prevalence of diseases across the world is projected to drive the rare dermatological disease treatment market during the forecast period
Rich Pipeline for Rare Dermatological Disease Treatment to Boost Market
- A large patient population suffers from various rare dermatological diseases with unmet medical needs, and the number is increasing across the globe. Leading pharmaceutical companies strive to address these unmet medical needs through new product development.
- Large number of both small molecules and biologic products is under different phases of clinical trials for the treatment of rare diseases. Leading companies have made significant investments in clinical R&D and have established strategic partnerships and collaborations to accelerate new product development.
- For instance, in 2019, Merck & Co., Inc., a global leader in autoimmune disease treatment, announced two potential candidates, Atacicept, and Evobrutinib, which are in phases 2 of clinical trials, to treat conditions such as systemic lupus erythematosus and other autoimmune disorders
- Rise in investment in research & development programs by key players is likely to propel the market during the forecast period
High Cost of Drugs, Therapies to Hamper Global Market
- Biologics are the most recent forms of treatment. Significant investments have been made in research in order to develop biologics and make them available to patients.
- Most biologics are administered through parenteral route. This increases the cost of the treatment by adding the physician’s costs to the drugs cost.
- According to the Lupus Foundation of America, the mean annual total cost for people with lupus (combining direct and indirect costs) can be as high as US$ 50,000
- Moreover, lack of affordability for patients for certain drugs and therapies to treat scleroderma remains a major obstacle to improve patient access to these treatment options
Rare Dermatological Disease Treatment Market: Competition Landscape
- This report profiles major players in the global rare dermatological disease treatment market based on various attributes such as company overview, financial overview, product portfolio, business strategies, and recent developments
- Leading players operating in the global rare dermatological disease treatment market include
- GlaxoSmithKline plc
- Novartis AG
- Castle Creek Biosciences, Inc.
- Merck & Co., Inc.
- Bristol-Myers Squibb Company
- Pfizer, Inc.
- F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd.
- Merck KGaA
- Eli Lilly and Company
- AbbVie, Inc.
- Krystal Biotech, Inc.
- Amryt Pharma plc
Rare Dermatological Disease Treatment Market: Key Developments
- Key players in the global rare dermatological disease treatment market are engaged in regulatory approvals, development of new therapies or products, and acquisition & collaborative agreements with other companies. These strategies are likely to fuel the global rare dermatological disease treatment market. A few expansion strategies adopted by players operating in the global rare dermatological disease treatment market are:
- In October 2020, Castle Creek Biosciencese, Inc. announced that first patient was dosed in the DeFi-RDEB phase 3 clinical trial evaluating debcoemagene autoficel (D-Fi), the company’s lead gene therapy candidate formerly designated FCX-007, in recessive dystrophic epidermolysis bullosa (RDEB)
- In September 2020, Amryt Pharma plc announced positive top line results from its pivotal phase 3 EASE trial of FILSUVEZ (previously AP101/Oleogel-S10) for the treatment of dystrophic and junctional epidermolysis bullosa (“EB”)
- In July 2020, Krystal Biotech announced the initiation of GEM-3 study, a multi-center, placebo-controlled, double-blinded, phase 3 clinical study of beremagene geperpavec (“B-VEC”, previously “KB103”) for the treatment of dystrophic epidermolysis bullosa (DEB) patients
- In April 2020, Pfizer, Inc. announced that the European Commission (EC) approved RUXIENCE (rituximab), a biosimilar to MabThera (rituximab), for the treatment of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma (NHL), chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL), rheumatoid arthritis (RA), granulomatosis with polyangiitis (GPA), and microscopic polyangiitis (MPA), and pemphigus vulgaris (PV)
- In March 2019, Roche announced that the European Commission has approved MabThera (rituximab) for the treatment of adults with moderate to severe pemphigus vulgaris (PV), a rare condition characterized by progressive painful blistering of the skin and/or mucous membranes
- In September 2018, Amryt Pharma plc announced that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration granted Investigational New Drug (“IND”) clearance for AP101. This enabled the company to begin opening the U.S. clinical trial sites as part of its ongoing global EASE phase III clinical trial in epidermolysis bullosa (“EB”).
- The competition landscape section has been included in the report to provide readers with a dashboard view and a company market share analysis of key players operating in the global rare dermatological disease treatment market
Rare Dermatological Disease Treatment Market – Scope of Report
TMR’s report on the global rare dermatological disease treatment market studies past as well as current growth trends and opportunities to gain valuable insights of these indicators of the market during the forecast period from 2021 to 2031. The report provides revenue of the global rare dermatological disease treatment market for the period of 2017–2031, considering 2020 as the base year and 2031 as the forecast year. The report also provides the compound annual growth rate (CAGR) for the global rare dermatological disease treatment market during the forecast period.
The report has been prepared after an extensive primary and secondary research. Primary research involved bulk of research efforts, wherein analysts carried out interviews with industry leaders and opinion makers. Secondary research involved referring to key players’ product literature, annual reports, press releases, and relevant documents to understand the global rare dermatological disease treatment market.
Secondary research also included Internet sources, statistical data from government agencies, websites, company presentations, sales data, and trade associations. Analysts have employed a combination of top-down and bottom-up approaches to study various phenomenon in the global rare dermatological disease treatment market.
The report includes an elaborate executive summary, along with a snapshot of the growth behavior of various segments included in the scope of the study. Furthermore, the report sheds light on the changing competitive dynamics in the global rare dermatological disease treatment market. These indices serve as valuable tools for existing market players as well as for entities interested in entering the global rare dermatological disease treatment market.
The report delves into the competitive landscape of the global rare dermatological disease treatment market. Key players operating in the global rare dermatological disease treatment market have been identified, and each one of these has been profiled for distinguishing business attributes. Company overview, financial standings, recent developments, and SWOT are some of the attributes of players in the global rare dermatological disease treatment market that have been profiled in this report.
Key Questions Answered in Rare Dermatological Disease Treatment Market Report
- What is the scope of growth of companies present in the global rare dermatological disease treatment market?
- What will be the Y-o-Y growth of the global rare dermatological disease treatment market between 2021 and 2031?
- What is the influence of changing trends in technologies on the global rare dermatological disease treatment market?
- Will North America continue to be the most profitable market for rare dermatological disease treatment providers?
- Which factors are anticipated to hamper the global rare dermatological disease treatment market during the forecast period?
- Which are the leading companies in the global rare dermatological disease treatment market?
A unique research methodology has been utilized by TMR to conduct a comprehensive research on the growth of the global rare dermatological disease treatment market and arrive at conclusions on its growth prospects. This research methodology is a combination of primary and secondary research, which helps analysts warrant the accuracy and reliability of the drawn conclusions.
Secondary methods referred to by analysts during the production of the global rare dermatological disease treatment market report include statistics from company annual reports, SEC filings, company websites, investor presentations, regulatory databases, government publications, and industry white papers. Analysts have also interviewed senior managers, product portfolio managers, CEOs, VPs, and market intelligence managers, who contributed to the production of TMR’s study on the rare dermatological disease treatment market as primary methods.
These primary and secondary methods have provided exclusive information during interviews, which serves as a validation from the rare dermatological disease treatment market leaders. Access to an extensive internal repository and external proprietary databases enabled this report to address specific details and questions about the global rare dermatological disease treatment market with accuracy. The study also uses the top-down approach to assess the revenues for each segment and the bottom-up approach to counter-validate them. This has helped in reaching TMR’s estimates on future prospects of the global rare dermatological disease treatment market more reliably and accurately.
Rare Dermatological Disease Treatment Market – Segmentation