Transparency Market Research (TMR) has published a new report titled, ‘Medical Waste Containers Market - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2019–2027’. According to the report, the global medical waste containers market was valued at US$ 1.7 Bn in 2018 and is projected to expand at a CAGR of 5.1% from 2019 to 2027.
- Medical waste consists of discarded biological products removed from health care facilities. The 1988 Medical Waste Tracking Act defines medical waste as the waste material generated during medical research, testing, diagnosis, immunization, or treatment of either human beings or animals.
- Medical waste containers are used by waste generators to collect waste that is generated by health care facilities. They are available in different designs depending upon the type of waste that is to be collected. Containers are defined by specific colors and labels to make them distinguishable from others.
- North America dominated the global medical waste containers market in 2018 and the trend is anticipated to continue during the forecast period. Highly structured health care industry, increase in prevalence of major chronic diseases and are expected to drive the market in North America.
- Asia Pacific is likely to be a highly lucrative market for medical waste containers and it is expected to expand at a high CAGR during the forecast period
Rapidly growing health care and pharmaceutical industries and Initiatives by governments and non-government organizations (NGOs) to Drive Market
- Increasing R&D activities, rising pool of patients suffering from chronic diseases, and rapidly growing health care and pharmaceutical industries worldwide are some factors that lead to increase in the demand for collection of medical waste from large as well as small medical waste generators across the world
- Medical waste management is a critical issue worldwide. In order to ensure safety from hazardous medical waste, several government organizations such as the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the Environment Protection Agency (EPA), and the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) are constantly working toward proper management of medical waste.
- Several non-government organizations (NGOs) and community-based organizations (CBOs) are stepping in to help hospitals and other health care facilities collect, recycle, and dispose of medical waste. For instance, Intervol, a New York-based NGO, is actively engaged in collecting unused medical supplies. It encourages health care facilities to recycle such unused supplies and reduce costs of their disposal.
Pharmaceutical Containers Segment to Dominate Market
- Based on product type, the global medical waste containers market has been divided into chemotherapy containers, biohazard containers, RCRA containers, pharmaceutical containers, and sharp containers. The pharmaceutical containers segment dominated the global medical waste containers market in 2018 and the trend is projected to continue during the forecast period. Increased investment by key players in the pharmaceutical sectors and increasing R&D activities in the medical field. The biohazard medical waste containers segment is a prominent segment of the global medical waste containers market.
- Biohazard containers segment is likely to be a highly lucrative market for medical waste containers and it is expected to expand at a high CAGR during the forecast period. Health care institutions generate enormous amount of waste which is considered potentially hazardous. Hospitals generate around 0.5 to two kilograms of hazardous waste per bed per day, which is projected to propel the growth of this segment.
Non-infectious Waste Segment to be Highly Lucrative Segment
- In terms of waste type, the global medical waste containers market has been classified into infectious & pathological waste, non-infectious waste, radioactive waste, sharps waste, and pharmaceutical waste.
- Rise in incidence of chronic diseases and increase in medical care provided by health care facilities are factors responsible for the estimated dominance of this segment by during the forecast period. Consistent expansion of the pharmaceutical and health care industry in emerging countries contributes a large share to non-infectious waste, which is likely to drive the non-infectious waste segment of the global medical waste containers market.
- The pharmaceutical waste segment is expected to expand at a significant CAGR by 2027
Reusable Containers to Be the Most Promising Usage Segment for Investment
- In terms of usage type, the medical waste containers market has been segmented into reusable and disposable containers.
- The reusable segment held a dominant share of global medical waste containers market in 2018, as private players are taking initiatives to develop reusable containers with innovative features such as puncture-resistant and leak-resistant design.
Hospitals Segment to be Highly Lucrative Segment
- In terms of medical waste generators, the global medical waste containers market has been classified into hospitals, clinics & physicians’ offices, long-term care & urgent care centers, pharmacies, pharmaceutical companies, and others.
- The hospitals segment dominated the medical waste containers market due to rising number of invasive surgical procedures across the globe. According to a report published by the American Hospital Association in 2019 on waste prevention and management in hospitals, nearly 6,210 hospitals in the U.S. produce an average of 5.9 million tons of waste per year. This is one of the major factors for the estimated expansion of the hospitals segment.
- The pharmaceutical companies segment is expected to expand at a fastest CAGR during the forecast period. This is due to pharmaceutical companies generate large quantities of non-infectious medical waste. Increase in R&D activities in the pharmaceutical industry and rise in the number of retail pharmacies are anticipated to drive the segment during the forecast period.
North America to Dominate Global Market
- In terms of region, the global medical waste containers market has been segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa. North America dominated the global medical waste containers market in 2018, followed by Europe.
- North America accounted for major share of the global medical waste containers market in 2018. This is attributable to highly developed health care sector, rise in prevalence of infectious & chronic diseases that require advanced medical & surgical aids and generate significant medical waste and residues, and presence of established players in the U.S.
- The medical waste containers market in Asia Pacific is anticipated to expand at a high CAGR from 2019 to 2027. This can be attributed to Increase in awareness about medical waste management, growth in pharmaceutical sectors in countries such as China, Japan, and India, and establishment of stringent regulations for the proper disposal of medical waste by government organizations are anticipated to trigger the growth of the medical waste containers market in Asia Pacific.
- The global medical waste containers market is fragmented in terms of number of players. Key players in the global market include Sharps Compliance, Inc., Henry Schein, Inc., BD, Medtronic, Daniels Health, Bemis Manufacturing Company, Bondtech Corporation, Terra Universal, Inc., Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc., EnviroTain, LLC, and MAUSER Group and other prominent players.
The global medical waste containers market has been segmented as follows:
- Global Medical Waste Containers Market, by Product Type
- Chemotherapy Containers
- Biohazard Medical Waste Containers
- RCRA (Resource Conservation and Recovery Act) Containers
- Pharmaceutical Containers
- Sharps Containers
- Patient Room Sharps Containers
- Phlebotomy Sharps Containers
- Multipurpose Sharps Containers
- Global Medical Waste Containers Market, by Waste Type
- Infectious & Pathological Waste
- Non-infectious Waste
- Radioactive Waste
- Sharps Waste
- Pharmaceutical Waste
- Global Medical Waste Containers Market, by Medical Waste Generators
- Clinics & Physicians’ Offices
- Pharmaceutical Companies
- Long-term Care & Urgent Care Centers
- Global Medical Waste Containers Market, by Usage Type
- Disposable Containers
- Reusable Containers
- Global Medical Waste Containers Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
- North America
Transparency Market Research is a global market intelligence company, providing global business information reports and services. Our exclusive blend of quantitative forecasting and trends analysis provides forward-looking insight for thousands of decision makers. Our experienced team of analysts, researchers, and consultants, uses proprietary data sources and various tools and techniques to gather and analyze information.
Our data repository is continuously updated and revised by a team of research experts, so that it always reflects the latest trends and information. With a broad research and analysis capability, Transparency Market Research employs rigorous primary and secondary research techniques in developing distinctive data sets and research material for business reports.
Transparency Market Research,
90 State Street, Suite 700,
Albany, NY 12207
USA - Canada Toll Free: 866-552-3453
7 of 10 large enterprizes view our ToC to take the right decision.View Report ToC