Postoperative Pain Therapeutics Market
Postoperative Pain Therapeutics Market (Drug Class: Opioids, NSAIDS, Local Anesthetics, Tricyclic Antidepressants, Antiepileptic Drugs, and Others; Route of Administration: Oral, Intramuscular, Intravenous, and Others; Distribution Channel: Hospital Pharmacies, Retail Pharmacies, Online Pharmacies, and Others) - Global Industry Analysis, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2019 – 2027
- 207 Pages
Rising geriatric population and increasing incidence of surgical procedure are major factors driving demand for postoperative pain therapeutics. Chronic postoperative pain associated with surgical procedures continues for longer duration. Usually, it persists for three to six months. Postoperative pain after amputation of limb, cesarean section, thoracotomy, breast surgery, or inguinal hernia repair is named as phantom pain.
As per reports published by reputed medical institutes, postoperative pain is not well-managed in approximately one-third of the patients.
However, rising awareness regarding severity of postoperative pain and increasing number of surgical procedures are likely to fuel postoperative pain therapeutics market in forthcoming years.
Considering severity of the condition, pharmaceutical companies are focusing on development of drugs to mitigate postoperative pains. Advent of such drugs is likely to present lucrative growth opportunities to the postoperative pain therapeutics market.
Further, advancements in non-opioid adjuncts and alternatives is gaining popularity. These non-opioid adjuncts are widely employed for regulation of postoperative pain. For example, dexmedetomidine, intravenous (IV) acetaminophen, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), liposomal bupivacaine, ketamine, and magnesium are some of the drugs widely being used for management of postoperative pain.
Opioids are group of medicines prescribed by medical professionals in case of mild to severe chronic pain. The class of drugs is classified in three classes- strong agonists, mild-to-moderate agonists, and opioids with mixed receptor reactions.
In recent years, the segment dominated in the postoperative pain therapeutics market. Moving forward, the trend is likely to continue in coming years as well. Prominence of the segment is attributed to effective therapy provided by the opioids drug for management of postoperative pain.
Postoperative Pain Therapeutics – Introduction
Transparency Market Research, in its new research study, divulges compelling insights into the postoperative pain therapeutics space, to assist readers with value-creation and data-driven decision making. As the global healthcare space is seeing a palpable shift toward a 'value-based care' model, postoperative pain management is gaining its very own eminence. The goal behind the focus of healthcare providers on postoperative pain management remains two-fold--staving-off potential complications and creating positive patient experiences. As patient experiences have started lying at the heart of branding for healthcare services, effective postoperative pain management has become as important as surgical success.
Planning to lay down future strategy? Perfect your plan with our report brochure here
Postoperative Pain Therapeutics Market – How Growth Will Unfold
Revenues from the postoperative pain therapeutics market closed in on a valuation of over US$ 11,400 Mn in 2018. Companies that were at the forefront in terms of product differentiation and reliability have gained the first-mover advantage, while the skeptics have to contend with limited growth. The last five years saw opioids becoming the go-to for chronic pain management, especially in the US and Europe.
The sales of non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are gathering strength in price-sensitive markets such as Latin America and APAC, as the efficacy and cost-effectiveness of NSAIDs has been long appreciated. Gone are the days when postoperative pain therapeutics faced the 'apprehension battle' among patients. Rather, these are emerging as ancillaries, supporting the growth of healthcare services. Sensing latent opportunities for market players, Transparency Market Research (TMR) estimates that postoperative pain therapeutics market revenue will surpass US$ 12 Bn in 2019.
Want to know the obstructions to your company’s growth in future? Request a PDF sample here
Trends Reforming the Postoperative Pain Therapeutics Landscape
The postoperative pain therapeutics landscape has been bearing the brunt of opioid abuse, necessitating the development of abuse-deterrent drugs. Post the catastrophic opioid crisis in the U.S., the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) has been laying stress on the mass development and commercialization of prescription opioids with abuse-deterrent formulations (ADFs). Opioid-free anesthesia is also finding a unique place in pain management practices by multiple healthcare providers, based on a definitive plan of care tailored to an individual.
The emphasis on drugs with enhanced biopharmaceutical properties is another overarching trend shaping product development spectrums. Consequently, extensive focus on ionizability, permeability, pH-solubility, and other properties is picking up pace in production paradigms, which would further breathe life into the performance of drugs.
Looking for exclusive market insights from business experts? Request a Custom Report here
Success in the Postoperative Pain Therapeutics Market - A Multimodal Journey
Valuable Customer Experiences – The Building Blocks of Growth
In a fiercely-competitive postoperative pain therapeutics space, strong product profiles no longer suffice for building a distinctive brand persona. Rather, weaving successful patient experiences through distinguishable products is emerging as the new norm of success. For instance, in 2018, Heron Therapeutics, Inc. - a leading biotechnology company - announced that, 'HTX-011', its exclusive range of therapeutics for postoperative pain management, received the 'Breakthrough Therapy' designation from the U.S. FDA for its superior performance.
Promising Product Launches Hold a Competitive Advantage
Market forerunners are proactively responding to the overwhelming demand via strategic overhauls, re-aligning their core competencies into newer formats, which would further help them level up their revenue performances. Obtaining priority review designations from the FDA remains a key focal point of postoperative pain therapeutics market players, as these reviews are instrumental in pulling the right levers to reduce 'time-to-market'.
High Focus on Research and Development - Key to Product Diversification
Players in the postoperative pain therapeutics market, with an objective of seizing growth opportunities, are ensuring that they have the ideal enablers in place, with research & development being a crucial one. For instance, in 2017, Camurus AB’s strategic partner, Braeburn Pharmaceuticals, acquired the North America license rights to CAM2048/58, and further developments were subsumed within the framework of this collaboration. The company then made a headway and completed the 1st clinical trial for novel product candidates, 'CAM2047'and 'CAM2048/58', meant for use for postoperative pain.
Deep-Dive into the Competitive Landscape
The postoperative pain therapeutics market can be characterized as a moderately-consolidated space, with the leaders commanding a decent pie of the global market share. Market goliaths are substantially focusing on the production ramp-up of non-opioid analgesics, given that the preference for non-opioid postoperative pain management is growing by leaps and bounds. However, mid-level players, with a proactive focus on expanding their customer outreach, are striving to outdo their previous year’s sales performance, and venture into newer segments.
In addition, mid-level participants are also focusing on the competitive pricing of their offerings, which will be one among the key pacesetters of their growth in the intensely-competitive market space. Some of the key market giants holding a sizeable chunk of the global postoperative pain therapeutics market share include Pfizer, Inc., Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd., Novartis AG, Camurus AB, and a few others. The broader and 'industry-best' portfolios and robust geographical reach of these companies serve as magic wands sustaining their stronghold in the global market space.
The Analyst Speaks
The authors of the report maintain that, postoperative pain therapeutics market is likely to see a seismic shift toward non-opioid alternatives and adjuncts, extrapolating the advent of a new phase of new product innovations and subsequent launches. Intravenous (IV) acetaminophen, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), magnesium, ketamine, dexmedetomidine, and liposomal bupivacaine are some of the popular product types that will continue gaining their due. However, the market will also remain open to newer formulations mainstreaming into the postoperative pain therapeutics market.
The development of newer drugs and formulations with wide safety margins and abuse-deterrent properties is set to make their mark in the postoperative pain therapeutics space. As postoperative pain management will continue to gain momentum as a critical sphere, massive demand for effective therapeutics remains a foregone conclusion.
Postoperative Pain Therapeutics: Opioids - A Prominent Market Share
Postoperative pain is a model case of acute pain, both, from a pathophysiological and therapeutic point of view. Surgical procedures cause local tissue damage, resulting in the release of prostaglandins, histamine, serotonin, bradykinin, substance P, and other mediators; production of noxious stimuli; and irritation of free nerve endings and nociceptors (nociceptor pain). Bradykinin, serotonin and histamine, both, sensitize and stimulate the receptors, and arachidonic acid metabolites also sensitize them. Postoperative pain may also increase directly in peripheral or central neural structures, if these suffer damage during a surgical procedure (neuropathic pain). Postoperative pain therapeutics help in controlling post-surgical pain, thereby, improving overall operational efficiency as well as patient care.
The global postoperative pain therapeutics market is driven by a large number of surgical procedures performed across the globe. The global market of postoperative pain therapeutics was valued at US$ 11,459.3 Mn in 2018, and is estimated to expand at a CAGR of nearly 4.5% between the years 2019 to 2027, to reach around US$ 17,000 Mn by the year 2027. Growing incidences and severity of postoperative pain are expected to drive the global postoperative pain therapeutics market during the forecast period.
Opening New Opportunities in the Postoperative Pain Therapeutics Market
- High incidences and severity of postoperative pain, increase in the number of surgical procedures, introduction of promising drugs in the market, and high adoption rate of pain management in developed as well as emerging markets have increased inpatient flow to hospital pharmacies and retail pharmacies.
- These factors are expected to drive the demand for postoperative pain therapeutics in the near future.
Global Postoperative Pain Therapeutics Market: Report Segmentation
- The global postoperative pain therapeutics market has been segmented based on drug class, route of administration, distribution channel, and region.
- In terms of drug class, the global postoperative pain therapeutics market has been categorized into opioids, NSAIDS, local anesthetics, tricyclic antidepressants, antiepileptic drugs, and others. The opioids segment accounted for a leading share in the global postoperative pain therapeutics market in terms of revenue in 2018. The NSAIDS segment is likely to grow at a rapid pace in the postoperative pain therapeutics market during the forecast period. The segment is projected to gain market share in the postoperative pain therapeutics market by 2027.
- NSAIDs are drugs used to treat pain, swelling, and inflammation in different medical conditions such as arthritis, other short-term pain, and menstrual cramps. However, daily doses of NSAIDs can cause severe side-effects. Naproxen, Ibuprofen, and Diclofenac are first-line NSAIDs.
- In terms of route of administration, the global postoperative pain therapeutics market has been classified into oral, intramuscular, intravenous, and others. The oral segment dominated the global postoperative pain therapeutics market in 2018, and the trend is anticipated to continue during the forecast period. High preference among patients has led to the prominent share of the oral segment.
- Oral administration is when medications are taken through the mouth. This is done so as to have a systemic effect and reach different parts of the body through the bloodstream.
- Intravenous route of administration is the method in which medications are injected directly into the bloodstream through a vein.
- Based on distribution channel, the global postoperative pain therapeutics market has been divided into hospital pharmacies, retail pharmacies, online pharmacies, and others.
- Hospital pharmacies can be defined as healthcare facilities found inside the hospital premises, which primarily provide medications to hospital patients. They manage the procurement, storage, packaging, preservation, compounding, sterilization, and distribution of medicines in hospitals.
- Retail pharmacy is commonly known as community pharmacy, which is engaged in distributing pharmaceutical products to patients.
- Geographically, the global postoperative pain therapeutics market has been segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and the Middle East & Africa.
- North America dominated the global postoperative pain therapeutics market in 2018, and is expected to sustain its market share in the postoperative pain therapeutics market by the end of 2027. The postoperative pain therapeutics market in North America is primarily driven by the rapidly increasing geriatric population.
- Asia Pacific is projected to be a fast-growing market for postoperative pain therapeutics during the forecast period. Japan dominated the postoperative pain therapeutics market in Asia Pacific in 2018.
- The postoperative pain therapeutics market in China is likely to expand at a high CAGR from 2019 to 2027.
Global Postoperative Pain Therapeutics Market: Competitive Insights
Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals, Pacira BioSciences, Inc., Trevena, Inc., Heron Therapeutics, Pfizer, Inc., Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd., Novartis AG, Camarus, Eli Lilly & Company, and Bayer AG are the key players in the postoperative pain therapeutics market. These players have adopted the strategy of acquisition and collaboration with parallel companies to improve and strengthen their geographic presence in the global postoperative pain therapeutics market.
Transparency Market Research (TMR) has recently published a research report on the postoperative pain therapeutics market for the forecast period of 2019-2027, wherein, the global market has been analyzed and assessed in an extremely comprehensive manner. The research report on the postoperative pain therapeutics market offers an extensive analysis of how the postoperative pain therapeutics landscape would evolve through 2027.
The research study on the postoperative pain therapeutics market analyzes key drivers upholding product sales and prominent trends shaping the growth of the postoperative pain therapeutics market. The research study not only focuses on the latent opportunities for the key stakeholders of the postoperative pain therapeutics market, but also sheds light on the notable developments and future scope for innovation in the postoperative pain therapeutics landscape.
The report starts off with a quick executive summary, wherein, key takeaways have been highlighted for the readers to have a sneak peak at the key market segments. The research study by TMR on the postoperative pain therapeutics market also talks about the macroeconomic and microeconomic factors having deep-rooted influences on global market growth. The research study on the postoperative pain therapeutics market also offers a regional analysis, wherein, demand across every region has been comprehensively analyzed.
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
Postoperative Pain Therapeutics Market - Key Questions Answered in the Report
The report on the postoperative pain therapeutics market addresses key questions concerning the market evolution and overarching trends shaping global market growth. Some of the key questions answered in the postoperative pain therapeutics market report include-
- What is the overall structure of the postoperative pain therapeutics market?
- What was the historical value and what is the forecasted value of the postoperative pain therapeutics market?
- What are the key product level trends in the postoperative pain therapeutics market?
- What are the market level trends in the postoperative pain therapeutics market?
- Which of the market players are leading and what are their key differential strategies to retain their stronghold?
- Which are the most lucrative regions in the postoperative pain therapeutics market space?
Postoperative Pain Therapeutics Market - Research Methodology
The report on the postoperative pain therapeutics market is based on an extensive and meticulous bottom up approach, which was used to determine the market size. Total number of surgical procedures were mapped across countries and number of surgeries requiring postoperative pain management were analyzed and estimated.
In the primary phase of the research methodology for the postoperative pain therapeutics market, key stakeholders, including CEOs, presidents, vice presidents, chief medical officers, and product/sales/marketing managers were interviewed for the purpose of garnering unique insights into the dynamics of the postoperative pain therapeutics market. In addition, around 41% of the primary research and analysis was carried out with hospitals/specialty clinics, medical assistants, surgeons, physicians, and pharmacists.
For the secondary phase, prominent sources such as the American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine, American Academy of Pain Medicine, Chronic Pain Association of Canada, Center for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC), National Institutes of Health (NIH), and others were referred to for garnering authentic data with the highest credibility.
Some of the prominent players profiled in the postoperative pain therapeutics market report are-
- Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals
- Trevena, Inc.
- Heron Therapeutics
- Pacira BioSciences, Inc.
- Pfizer, Inc.
- Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
- Eli Lilly & Company
- Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals
- Bayer AG
- Novartis AG
The report also analyzes the postoperative pain therapeutics market on the basis of various segments, with drug type being a prominent one. A unique section in the postoperative pain therapeutics market report also offers a detailed breakdown on the basis of route of administration – which one is highly preferred and which one is minimally preferred. The next section offers a quick view into the different types of distribution channels and their respective performances.
Route of Administration