Oral Transmucosal Drugs Market
Oral Transmucosal Drugs Market (Type: Tablets, Buccal Films, Liquid & Spray, Gels, and Others; Route of Penetration: Sublingual Mucosa, Buccal Mucosa, Gingival Tissues, and Palatal Tissues; Distribution Channel: Hospital Pharmacies, Retail Pharmacies, and Online Pharmacies; and Indication: Cardiovascular Disorders, Acute Pain Management, Sedation, Erectile Dysfunction, Diabetes, and Others) - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2021-2031
Press Release :
Oral Transmucosal Drugs May Prevent Rapid Deterioration of COVID-19 Patients
The COVID-19 pandemic has led to a need for alternative routes of drug administration for end of life and palliative care. This has brought stakeholders in the oral transmucosal drugs market under scrutiny, especially in community settings. Popular transmucosal routes such as buccal, intranasal, sublingual, and rectal are being publicized. This has led to the scope of non-invasive routes for systematic drug delivery with the potential for self-administration or administration by family caregivers.
Companies in the oral transmucosal drugs market are capitalizing on the ability to offer rapid onset of action with reduced first-pass metabolism. Oral transmucosal drugs are being increasingly used in palliative and end of life care to provide fast relief of symptoms. Such findings are benefitting healthcare providers during the coronavirus outbreak, since the health of some patients tends to deteriorate rapidly in certain cases.
To know the scope of our report Get a Sample on Oral Transmucosal Drugs Market
Mucoadhesive Polymers Hold High Potential to Improve Drug Delivery in Patients
The successful delivery of drugs across the oral mucosa represents a continuing challenge as well as an opportunity for stakeholders in the oral transmucosal drugs market. This explains why the market is estimated to clock a favorable CAGR of ~6% during the forecast period. Hence, companies are expected to collaborate with researchers, scientists, and biologists to increase R&D in novel mucoadhesive polymers. They are increasing efforts to design improved drug delivery systems that achieve delivery through the different mucosa.
Transmucosal drug delivery systems are gaining increased popularity, as mucous membranes are relatively permeable, which facilitate the rapid uptake of a drug into the systemic circulation. Companies are boosting their production capabilities in mucoadhesive polymers under different dosage forms such as tablets, films, semisolids, and powders.
Get a glimpse of the in-depth analysis through our Report Brochure
Novel Permeation Enhancers Enable Active Ingredients to Penetrate Mucosa
Despite the number of advantages linked with transmucosal drug delivery, the medicines delivered as buccal or sublingual formulations remain relatively low. Aquestive Therapeutics - a specialty pharmaceutical company is finding opportunity in this challenge, and increasing its focus on developing novel permeation enhancers, stabilizers, and polymer blends that can boost the ability of active ingredients to penetrate the mucosa. Such innovations explain why the oral transmucosal drugs market is expected to reach US$ 27 Bn by 2031.
Proprietary compositional profiles of oral films are being tailored to the buccal or sublingual microenvironment in order to achieve a desired rate of absorption. This is evident since buccal films are likely to dominate the second-highest revenue among all drug types in the oral transmucosal drugs market.
Buccal Films Preferred Over Buccal Tablets
Extensive research is being carried out on the design and development of innovative drug delivery systems to improve their efficacy, safety, and patient compliance. Buccal films are the most recently developed dosage form for buccal administration. Companies in the oral transmucosal drugs market are capitalizing on this opportunity, since buccal films are gaining importance as efficacious and novel drug delivery systems that are cost-efficient and enable good patient compliance.
As buccal films are implied for attachment to the buccal mucosa, they can be formulated to exhibit local as well as systemic action. Pharmaceutical companies in the oral transmucosal drugs market are bolstering their output capacities in buccal films, since they are being preferred over buccal tablets, owing to the former’s flexibility and comfort. It has been found that buccal films have direct access to the systemic circulation through the jugular vein, which bypasses the drug from the hepatic first pass metabolism leading to the high bioavailability.
Precision Dosing Capacities of Oral Thin Films Grabbing Attention of Stakeholders
Oral thin films are storming the oral transmucosal drugs market. CURE Pharmaceutical Holding Corp. is gaining popularity for its flagship technology CUREfilm® that is a thin oral film platform, which optimizes the absorption and metabolism of therapeutic actives. Companies are taking cues from such innovations, and focusing on the oral soluble film technology that offers a versatile dose form and allows manufacturers to create proprietary products with optimal release profiles. This ensures better patient outcomes with oral thin films and enhanced consumer experiences.
Companies in the oral transmucosal drugs market are increasing their production of oral thin films, attributed to ease of use, high load, precision dosing, and fast acting capacities.
Mucoadhesion Helps Prolong Residence Time of Drugs on Mucus
The advanced materials for drug delivery across mucosal barriers are being developed by companies in the oral transmucosal drugs market. Mucus is a viscoelastic gel that traps pathogens and other foreign particles to limit their penetration into the underlying epithelium. On the other hand, dosage forms containing particle-based drug delivery systems are trapped in mucosal layers and tend to be removed by mucus turnover. This has driven companies in the oral transmucosal drugs market to increase their R&D activities in mucoadhesion, which helps to avoid premature wash-off and prolongs the residence time of drugs on mucus.
Mucoadhesion helps in mucus penetration, which is essential for molecules to access the underlying epithelial tissues. As such, various strategies are being investigated to achieve mucoadhesion and mucus penetration of drug carriers.
Micro, Nanoscale Drug Carriers Enable Sustainable Release of Drugs at Target Sites
The pharmaceutical companies in the oral transmucosal drugs market are acquiring a strong research base in micro and nanoscale technologies. The smart and controlled oral drug deliveries are predicted to bypass the physiological barriers that limit the oral delivery of hydrophilic therapeutics. Micro and nanoscale technologies are known for their unprecedented ability to create, control, and measure micro- or nano-environments that have found increased number of applications in biology and medicine.
Micro and nanoscale drug carriers such as bioadhesives, microparticles and nano-particles are being developed by pharmaceutical companies. The integration of bioadhesive properties improves the oral drug delivery of fabricated carriers. One of the key purpose of utilizing bio-adhesive materials is to delay the transit of cargos to enable the sustainable release of drugs at target sites. This helps to prolong the residence time in order to enhance the drug absorption process.
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report
Though oral transmucosal drugs have the potential for self-administration in COVID-19 patients, it is met with challenges such as relatively small surface area for effective drug absorption. Companies are increasing their R&D activities to better the drug administration in coronavirus patients, since even after vaccination there is a high risk of reinfection in patients.
The oral administration is one of the most important pillars of the pharmaceutical industry. However, it is still challenging to administer hydrophilic therapeutics by the oral route. Hence, companies in the oral transmucosal drugs market should mainly focus on the design of carriers with bio-adhesive properties for oral transmucosal drugs and the administration of hydrophilic therapeutics.
Oral Transmucosal Drugs Market: Overview
- This report analyzes the current scenario and future prospects of the global oral transmucosal drugs market. Rise in adoption of oral transmucosal drugs among the geriatric population and surge in prevalence of dysphagia are the key factors projected to drive the global oral transmucosal drugs market during the forecast period.
- The report includes an elaborate executive summary, which provides a snapshot of various segments of the global oral transmucosal drugs market. It also provides information and data analysis of the oral transmucosal drugs market about segments based on type, route of penetration, distribution channel, indication, and region.
- The overview section of the report provides a detailed qualitative analysis of drivers, restraints, and opportunities that impact the global oral transmucosal drugs market
- The report includes company profiles, which provide information about their business, product portfolios, and competitive landscape in the global oral transmucosal drugs market
- The report on the oral transmucosal drugs market offers market attractiveness analysis of regions and segments
- The last section of the report comprises quantitative and qualitative analyses on market share/position of key players operating in the global oral transmucosal drugs market. It analyzes key competitive strategies adopted by major industry players, thereby presenting a thorough understanding of the competitive scenario in the global oral transmucosal drugs market.
Oral Transmucosal Drugs market: Key Segments
- In terms of type, the global oral transmucosal drugs market has been classified into tablets, buccal films, liquid & spray, gels, and others. The tablets segment dominated the global market in 2020, owing to the advantages offered by oral transmucosal tablets. These include improved stability, cost-effectiveness, rapid dissolution and absorption of drug, low sensitivity to environmental condition, and ease of administration.
- The tablets segment has been split into sublingual tablets, buccal tablets, lozenges & troches, and others
- Based on route of penetration, the global oral transmucosal drugs market has been categorized into sublingual mucosa, buccal mucosa, gingival tissues, and palatal tissues. The buccal mucosa segment dominated the global market in 2020.
- In terms of distribution channel, the global oral transmucosal drugs market has been divided into hospital pharmacies, retail pharmacies, and online pharmacies. The online pharmacies segment is expected to expand at a high CAGR from 2021 to 2031. Detailed product information available on the site and rise in convenience in choosing drug from websites are likely to augment the segment.
- Based on indication, the global oral transmucosal drugs market has been divided into cardiovascular disorders, acute pain management, sedation, erectile dysfunction, diabetes, and others. The diabetes segment is projected to expand at a high CAGR from 2021 to 2031, owing to rise in prevalence of diabetes worldwide.
- Market size and forecast for each of these segments have been provided from 2017 to 2031. The CAGR of respective segment has also been provided from 2021 to 2031, considering 2020 as the base year.
Oral Transmucosal Drugs Market: Regional Outlook
- In terms of region, the global oral transmucosal drugs market has been segmented into North America (the U.S. and Canada), Europe (the U.K., Germany, Spain, Italy, France, and Rest of Europe), Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, Australia & New Zealand, South Korea, and Rest of Asia Pacific), Latin America (Brazil, Mexico, and Rest of Latin America), and Middle East & Africa (GCC Countries, South Africa, and Rest of Middle East & Africa). Each region considered in the market has been divided into countries/sub-regions.
- The oral transmucosal drugs market report provides size and forecast for each region and country/sub-region from 2017 to 2031. The CAGR for each of these regions and countries has also been provided for the forecast period from 2021 to 2031. The oral transmucosal drugs market study also covers the competitive scenario in these regions.
Companies Covered in Oral Transmucosal Drugs Market Report
- Key players in the global oral transmucosal drugs market have been profiled based on attributes such as company overview, product portfolio, financial overview, recent developments, and competitive business strategies
- Major companies profiled in the oral transmucosal drugs market report are
- LTS Lohmann Therapie-Systeme AG
- ZIM Laboratories Limited
- Access Pharmaceutical Inc.
- C.L Pharm
- Seoul Pharmaceuticals
- Cure Pharmaceutical
- Aquestive Therapeutics, Inc.
- Solvay S.A.
- NAL Pharma
- IntelGenx Corp.
- Izun Pharmaceuticals
- Eisai Co., Ltd.
- Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.
- Pfizer, Inc.
- Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
- GlaxoSmithKline plc
- Mylan N.V.
- Bristol-Myers Squibb Company
Oral Transmucosal Drugs Market – Scope of Report
TMR’s report on the global oral transmucosal drugs market studies past as well as current growth trends and opportunities to gain valuable insights of the indicators of the market during the forecast period from 2021 to 2031. The report provides revenue of the global oral transmucosal drugs market for the period of 2017–2031, considering 2020 as the base year and 2031 as the forecast year. The report also provides the compound annual growth rate (CAGR) for the global oral transmucosal drugs market during the forecast period.
The report has been prepared after primary and secondary researches. Primary research involved bulk of research efforts, wherein analysts carried out interviews with industry leaders and opinion makers. Secondary research involved referring to key players’ product literature, annual reports, press releases, and relevant documents to understand the global oral transmucosal drugs market.
Secondary research also included Internet sources, statistical data from government agencies, websites, company presentations, sales data, and trade associations. Analysts employed a combination of top-down and bottom-up approaches to study various phenomenon in the global oral transmucosal drugs market.
The report includes an elaborate executive summary, along with a snapshot of the growth behavior of various segments included in the scope of the study. Furthermore, the report sheds light on the changing competitive dynamics in the global oral transmucosal drugs market. These indices serve as valuable tools for existing market players as well as for entities interested in entering the global oral transmucosal drugs market.
The report delves into the competitive landscape of the global oral transmucosal drugs market. Key players operating in the global oral transmucosal drugs market have been identified, and each one of these has been profiled for distinguishing business attributes. Company overview, financial standings, recent developments, and SWOT are some of the attributes of players in the global oral transmucosal drugs market that have been profiled in this report.
Key Questions Answered in Oral Transmucosal Drugs Market Report
- What are the major drivers, restraints, and opportunities in the market?
- What will be the Y-o-Y growth of the global oral transmucosal drugs market between 2021 and 2031?
- What are the revenue share projections of key segments of the global oral transmucosal drugs market during the forecast period?
- Will North America continue to be the most profitable market for oral transmucosal drugs?
- Which factors are anticipated to restrain the global oral transmucosal drugs market during the forecast period?
- Which are the leading companies in the global oral transmucosal drugs market?
A unique methodology has been utilized by TMR to conduct comprehensive research on the growth of the global oral transmucosal drugs market and arrive at conclusions on its growth prospects. This research methodology is a combination of primary and secondary research, which helps analysts warrant the accuracy and reliability of the drawn conclusions.
Secondary research sources referred to by analysts during the production of the global oral transmucosal drugs market report include statistics from company annual reports, SEC filings, company websites, investor presentations, regulatory databases, government publications, and industry white papers. Analysts have also interviewed senior managers, product portfolio managers, CEOs, VPs, and market intelligence managers, who contributed to the production of TMR’s study on the oral transmucosal drugs market as primary methods.
These primary research respondents have provided exclusive information during interviews, which serves as a validation from the oral transmucosal drugs market leaders. Access to an extensive internal repository and external proprietary databases enabled this report to address specific details and questions about the global oral transmucosal drugs market with accuracy. The study also uses the top-down approach to assess the revenue of each segment and the bottom-up approach to counter-validate them. This has helped in reaching TMR’s estimates on future prospects of the global oral transmucosal drugs more reliably and accurately.
Oral Transmucosal Drugs Market – Segmentation
|Route of Penetration||