Opioid Use Disorder Market: Introduction
- Opioids are used for pain relief. They have a depressant effect on the central nervous system as well as the potential to cause euphoria. Opioid use disorder (OUD) can occur, due to misuse or overdose of prescribed opioid medications.
- Two types of patients suffer from OUD: patients who are addicted to non-medical opioids and patients addicted to medical opioids
- Most commonly abused opioids are codeine, oxycodone, hydrocodone, morphine, and fentanyl. Physical dependence is the most harmful long-term effect and withdrawal symptoms occur if opioid use is abruptly reduced.
- Current treatments are based on medication-assisted treatment (MAT) with an opioid agonist or an opioid antagonist. They involve use of medication along with counseling and behavioral therapies.
Are you a Start-up willing to make it big in the Business? Grab an Exclusive PDF Brochure of Opioid Use Disorder Market Report
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Opioid Use Disorder Market
- Increasing incidence of opioid use disorder is a major factor likely to drive the global market during the forecast period. According to American Psychiatric Association, in 2017, around 72,000 people in the U.S. died of overdose of drugs, which included illicit drugs and prescription opioids. According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), over 15,000 people in the U.S. died of heroin overdose in 2017.
- Increasing research and development activities and wide product pipeline are other factors estimated to fuel the global opioid use disorder market during the forecast period. For instance, Orexo AB, a major manufacturer of opioid use disorder treatment products, has introduced an innovative product in its pipeline i.e. OXD01.
- Lack of awareness and limited product availability are restraining the global opioid use disorder market
Buprenorphine Drugs to Witness High Demand
- Based on drug type, the global opioid use disorder market can be segmented into buprenorphine, methadone, and naltrexone
- The buprenorphine segment accounted for the maximum share of the global opioid use disorder market in 2018. The segment is expected to dominate the global market from 2019 to 2027, due to increasing demand for buprenorphine-containing products such as bunavail, sublocade, suboxone, and zubsolv. Suboxone is the most widely prescribed drug for treatment of opioid use disorder, due to its high efficacy in managing opioid addiction, low adverse effect, and its favorable formulary coverage.
Hospital Pharmacies to be Most Promising Segment
- In terms of distribution channel, the global opioid use disorder market can be divided into hospital pharmacies, retail pharmacies, and online sales. The hospital pharmacies segment generated the maximum revenue in 2018 and it is anticipated to witness significant growth during the forecast period. A majority of opioid use disorder treatment products are prescription products and they are mostly available in hospital pharmacies.
North America to Dominate Global Opioid Use Disorder Market
- In terms of region, the global opioid use disorder market can be categorized into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America dominated the global opioid use disorder market in 2018 and it is expected to maintain its leading position throughout the forecast period. Dominance of the region can be attributed to expansion of product offerings by market players, favorable government initiatives, and presence of key market players in the region. For instance, in January 2018, the U.S. Government launched an awareness campaign to combat opioid addiction.
- The market in Asia Pacific is projected to register the maximum growth rate during the forecast period, owing to increase in the adoption of new products and rise in the incidence of opioid use disorder
Expanding Operations in Future? To Get the Perfect Launch Ask for a Custom Opioid Use Disorder Market Report
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Market
The global opioid use disorder market was highly fragmented in 2018. Major manufacturers operating in the global market are:
- Indivior PLC
- Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
- MediciNova, Inc.
- Hikma Pharmaceuticals
- Orexo AB
- Camurus AB
- Omeros Corporation
Global Opioid Use Disorder Market: Research Scope
Global Opioid Use Disorder Market, by Drug Type
Global Opioid Use Disorder Market, by Distribution Channel
- Hospital Pharmacies
- Retail Pharmacies
- Online Sales
Global Opioid Use Disorder Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.