Opioid Use Disorder Market: Introduction
- Opioids are used for pain relief. They have a depressant effect on the central nervous system as well as the potential to cause euphoria. Opioid use disorder (OUD) can occur, due to misuse or overdose of prescribed opioid medications.
- Two types of patients suffer from OUD: patients who are addicted to non-medical opioids and patients addicted to medical opioids
- Most commonly abused opioids are codeine, oxycodone, hydrocodone, morphine, and fentanyl. Physical dependence is the most harmful long-term effect and withdrawal symptoms occur if opioid use is abruptly reduced.
- Current treatments are based on medication-assisted treatment (MAT) with an opioid agonist or an opioid antagonist. They involve use of medication along with counseling and behavioral therapies.
Are you a Start-up willing to make it big in the Business? Grab an Exclusive PDF Brochure of Opioid Use Disorder Market Report
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Opioid Use Disorder Market
- Increasing incidence of opioid use disorder is a major factor likely to drive the global market during the forecast period. According to American Psychiatric Association, in 2017, around 72,000 people in the U.S. died of overdose of drugs, which included illicit drugs and prescription opioids. According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), over 15,000 people in the U.S. died of heroin overdose in 2017.
- Increasing research and development activities and wide product pipeline are other factors estimated to fuel the global opioid use disorder market during the forecast period. For instance, Orexo AB, a major manufacturer of opioid use disorder treatment products, has introduced an innovative product in its pipeline i.e. OXD01.
- Lack of awareness and limited product availability are restraining the global opioid use disorder market
Buprenorphine Drugs to Witness High Demand
- Based on drug type, the global opioid use disorder market can be segmented into buprenorphine, methadone, and naltrexone
- The buprenorphine segment accounted for the maximum share of the global opioid use disorder market in 2018. The segment is expected to dominate the global market from 2019 to 2027, due to increasing demand for buprenorphine-containing products such as bunavail, sublocade, suboxone, and zubsolv. Suboxone is the most widely prescribed drug for treatment of opioid use disorder, due to its high efficacy in managing opioid addiction, low adverse effect, and its favorable formulary coverage.
Hospital Pharmacies to be Most Promising Segment
- In terms of distribution channel, the global opioid use disorder market can be divided into hospital pharmacies, retail pharmacies, and online sales. The hospital pharmacies segment generated the maximum revenue in 2018 and it is anticipated to witness significant growth during the forecast period. A majority of opioid use disorder treatment products are prescription products and they are mostly available in hospital pharmacies.
North America to Dominate Global Opioid Use Disorder Market
- In terms of region, the global opioid use disorder market can be categorized into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America dominated the global opioid use disorder market in 2018 and it is expected to maintain its leading position throughout the forecast period. Dominance of the region can be attributed to expansion of product offerings by market players, favorable government initiatives, and presence of key market players in the region. For instance, in January 2018, the U.S. Government launched an awareness campaign to combat opioid addiction.
- The market in Asia Pacific is projected to register the maximum growth rate during the forecast period, owing to increase in the adoption of new products and rise in the incidence of opioid use disorder
Expanding Operations in Future? To Get the Perfect Launch Ask for a Custom Opioid Use Disorder Market Report
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Market
The global opioid use disorder market was highly fragmented in 2018. Major manufacturers operating in the global market are:
- Indivior PLC
- Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
- MediciNova, Inc.
- Hikma Pharmaceuticals
- Orexo AB
- Camurus AB
- Omeros Corporation
Global Opioid Use Disorder Market: Research Scope
Global Opioid Use Disorder Market, by Drug Type
Global Opioid Use Disorder Market, by Distribution Channel
- Hospital Pharmacies
- Retail Pharmacies
- Online Sales
Global Opioid Use Disorder Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This upcoming business intelligence report is intended to be a one-stop market research solution to guide organizations in taking timely and effective decisions for their business growth. The ongoing study is the culmination of our deep expertise on data science methods, combined with an unparalleled understanding of the external environment and analysis of the industries. Each of the reports by TMR aims at offering a detailed scrutiny of the value chain of our current and prospective customers, takes them from identifying value propositions, and subsequently assist their business executives to implement right strategies to create customer value. We believe that creating and sustaining the customer value is the key pivot on which business executives can create profits for their organizations and increase the market shares, continuously and with sustainability.
Each of our touchpoints through which we engage with the organization/enterprise during the primary research enables us to understand the internal environment it operates in and the ways in which the external environment influences its growth.
Always Evolving with Competition
Excellence is built into the DNA of TMR, and all our teams work collaboratively and committedly toward achieving that in whatever they do. From the very first interaction our teams of research analysts have with any interested market participant to the final preparation processes in each of our reports reflects a rigorous understanding of the dynamic industry environment that businesses operate in.
We relentlessly work to be a differentiator in whatever we do in the current era of hypercompetitive global environment. The result of our unceasing focus on excellence is reflected clearly in the insights and guidance we offer to our customers in order to empower them to create brand equity. Our simple yet very powerful underpinning for navigating the competition is to always keep evolving with changing business environments. Our close-kinit team of research analysts not only believe in this simple philosophy but also implement the same.
Constantly Innovating Our Research Methodologies and Models
We do not limit with any specific market research tool or one standard approach for obtaining or analyzing data. Undoubtedly, our report making process is ever-evolving to meet the customer needs and demands supported broadly by a vast knowledge of data science methods that we combine with business acumen our teams have built upon for several years. Evidently, our primary and secondary research data about customers and consumers have shown that we can go to any lengths to obtain them. This is followed by applying next-gen automation tools integrated with human judgement to clear the clutter, ascertain the most relevant and recent qualitative and quantitative insights, and package them in digestible chunks in our reports for our customers.
We Take Pride in No-One-Size-Fits-All Approach
Over the past several years, we have been conducting market intelligence studies across all industries for all types of organizations — big and small, profit and not-for-profit, and Fortune 500 and Unicorns, as we believe that a sound decision making must be based on no-one-size-fits-all approach. Without doubt, each of the organizations regardless of the industry they are in are affected differently by changes in political, economic, socio-culture, legal, ecological, and legal environments. The research models and the value chain analysis process that our analysts employ for conducting the study uphold this approach.
We look at myriad components of internal and external business environment affecting the growth strategies of organizations. Some of the broader aspects that we focus on are:
- Our team of Analysts and Support Teams always strive to see the bigger picture in life cycle stages of any industry
- The Teams focus on obtaining valuable insights into different models of competitive advantage while making an internal environment analysis
- They keep on modifying the value chain analysis processes of organizations to understand on how customer value is created
Some areas of assessing market dynamics that are used in the research models and methodologies adopted by our analysts can be summarized as:
- Corporate and business strategies underlying new brand positioning strategies
- Mapping for strategic planning for business units
- Various metrics for business portfolio analysis, including BCG matrix
- Value chain analysis
These will help create and sustain competitive advantage for our prospects and current customers.
Key focus areas and agenda that underpin and catalyze our primary and secondary research initiatives and endeavors are:
- What are some of the core competencies and distinctive competencies of new entrants and established players in the industry we are analyzing?
- What are some of the branding opportunities that are emerging at a rapid pace?
- What are the major competitive forces and elements of external environment shaping the industry life cycle stages of most organizations?
- Why some competitive strategies are popular than others among leaders in a certain market?
- What customer-based brand equity strategies companies have leveraged in a certain industry or set of related industries in a sector?
- What are some of the key pricing strategies that companies in an industry are implementing for marketing their products internationally?
- Identifying whether market-push or market-pull strategies are more relevant to a certain product or a service?
Disclaimer: This ongoing market research study is a meticulously planned activity where a broad array of factors and aspects that shape the marketing environment and industry are taken into account. However, keeping in mind the constantly changing nature of business dynamics and changing strategic intents, we are always actively making iterations and modifications in our approaches. As always, we are ready to tailor our insights and guidance to suit your requirements. Engage with us to know what more is there for your CXOs.