Opioid Use Disorder Market: Introduction
- Opioids are used for pain relief. They have a depressant effect on the central nervous system as well as the potential to cause euphoria. Opioid use disorder (OUD) can occur, due to misuse or overdose of prescribed opioid medications.
- Two types of patients suffer from OUD: patients who are addicted to non-medical opioids and patients addicted to medical opioids
- Most commonly abused opioids are codeine, oxycodone, hydrocodone, morphine, and fentanyl. Physical dependence is the most harmful long-term effect and withdrawal symptoms occur if opioid use is abruptly reduced.
- Current treatments are based on medication-assisted treatment (MAT) with an opioid agonist or an opioid antagonist. They involve use of medication along with counseling and behavioral therapies.
Are you a Start-up willing to make it big in the Business? Grab an Exclusive PDF Brochure of Opioid Use Disorder Market Report
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Opioid Use Disorder Market
- Increasing incidence of opioid use disorder is a major factor likely to drive the global market during the forecast period. According to American Psychiatric Association, in 2017, around 72,000 people in the U.S. died of overdose of drugs, which included illicit drugs and prescription opioids. According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), over 15,000 people in the U.S. died of heroin overdose in 2017.
- Increasing research and development activities and wide product pipeline are other factors estimated to fuel the global opioid use disorder market during the forecast period. For instance, Orexo AB, a major manufacturer of opioid use disorder treatment products, has introduced an innovative product in its pipeline i.e. OXD01.
- Lack of awareness and limited product availability are restraining the global opioid use disorder market
Buprenorphine Drugs to Witness High Demand
- Based on drug type, the global opioid use disorder market can be segmented into buprenorphine, methadone, and naltrexone
- The buprenorphine segment accounted for the maximum share of the global opioid use disorder market in 2018. The segment is expected to dominate the global market from 2019 to 2027, due to increasing demand for buprenorphine-containing products such as bunavail, sublocade, suboxone, and zubsolv. Suboxone is the most widely prescribed drug for treatment of opioid use disorder, due to its high efficacy in managing opioid addiction, low adverse effect, and its favorable formulary coverage.
Hospital Pharmacies to be Most Promising Segment
- In terms of distribution channel, the global opioid use disorder market can be divided into hospital pharmacies, retail pharmacies, and online sales. The hospital pharmacies segment generated the maximum revenue in 2018 and it is anticipated to witness significant growth during the forecast period. A majority of opioid use disorder treatment products are prescription products and they are mostly available in hospital pharmacies.
North America to Dominate Global Opioid Use Disorder Market
- In terms of region, the global opioid use disorder market can be categorized into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America dominated the global opioid use disorder market in 2018 and it is expected to maintain its leading position throughout the forecast period. Dominance of the region can be attributed to expansion of product offerings by market players, favorable government initiatives, and presence of key market players in the region. For instance, in January 2018, the U.S. Government launched an awareness campaign to combat opioid addiction.
- The market in Asia Pacific is projected to register the maximum growth rate during the forecast period, owing to increase in the adoption of new products and rise in the incidence of opioid use disorder
Expanding Operations in Future? To Get the Perfect Launch Ask for a Custom Opioid Use Disorder Market Report
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Market
The global opioid use disorder market was highly fragmented in 2018. Major manufacturers operating in the global market are:
- Indivior PLC
- Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
- MediciNova, Inc.
- Hikma Pharmaceuticals
- Orexo AB
- Camurus AB
- Omeros Corporation
Global Opioid Use Disorder Market: Research Scope
Global Opioid Use Disorder Market, by Drug Type
Global Opioid Use Disorder Market, by Distribution Channel
- Hospital Pharmacies
- Retail Pharmacies
- Online Sales
Global Opioid Use Disorder Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.