Metagenomics Market (Product Type: Instruments, Kits & Reagents, and Software & Services; Technology: 16S Sequencing, Whole Genome Sequencing, Shotgun Sequencing, and Others; and Application: Ecology & Environment, Clinical Diagnostics, Drug Discovery, Biotechnology, Food & Beverages, and Others) - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2020 - 2030
Metagenomics Analysis Platforms Play Pivotal Role in Matching COVID-19 Genomes
Economic activities in the metagenomics market are pacing up due to an unprecedented demand for COVID-19 (coronavirus) drug and vaccine discovery. Scientists have joined forces with metagenomics companies in order to provide tools and information that help if tackling the novel coronavirus. As such, companies in the metagenomics market are increasing their attention toward RNA sequencing-based data. Global leaders in next-generation sequencing services are adopting metagenomics detection of SARS-CoV-2 to effectively manage and analyze possible outcomes of the infection.
Metagenomics analysis platforms are gaining increased popularity in order to conduct metagenomics sequencing. Companies are experimenting with different algorithms for matching the closest genome to the novel coronavirus. They are conducting phylogenetic research to accelerate processes in the genomics community.
To know the scope of our report Get a Sample on Metagenomics Market
Metagenomics Sequencing Gold Standard for Diagnosis of Neuroinfectious Diseases
Metagenomics next generation sequencing is playing an instrumental role in the diagnosis of meningitis and encephalitis. The New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM) states that metagenomics sequencing is proving its utility in diagnosis of the most challenging cases of neuroinfectious diseases. Companies in the metagenomics market are increasing efforts to collect and analyze samples in real time in order to improve clinical outcomes.
A comprehensive read of the DNA and RNA in clinical samples is becoming possible with metagenomics sequencing. Companies in the metagenomics market are conducting bioinformatic comparison of the DNA and RNA samples with the publicly available databases to seek answers for agents responsible for the progression of neuroinfectious diseases. Metagenomics sequencing is being highly publicized in the healthcare landscape, since there is a high prevalence of infectious diseases that result in meningitis or encephalitis in individuals.
Get a glimpse of the in-depth analysis through our Report Brochure
Drug Discovery and Soil Health Assessment Broaden Revenue Streams for Research Companies
The revenue of drug discovery is slated to witness huge leap from ~22% in 2019 and reach ~26% by the end of 2030 in the metagenomics market. Hence, research companies are adopting metagenomics medicine mapping systems in order to advance in the field of drug discovery. On the other hand, metagenomics is playing a pivotal role in the assessment of soil health and freshwater quality. These domains are broadening revenue streams for companies in the metagenomics market. Unprecedented environmental events and impact on the biodiversity are key drivers favoring market growth.
Innovative Bioinformatics Tools Help Overcome Bottlenecks of Complex Unassembled Reads
Apart from drug discovery and clinical diagnostics, companies in the metagenomics market are increasing their focus in food genomics in order to broaden their revenue streams. As such, food & beverages are estimated to dictate the third-highest revenue among all applications in the metagenomics market. The growing demand for safe food production and preservation is creating incremental opportunities for companies in the market for metagenomics.
Striking the right balance between food enzymes and microbes is becoming the key focus point for research labs and healthcare companies in order to ensure safe food production and preservation. Hence, companies are increasing their R&D activities in food microbiology. As stated by molecular biologist Dr. Nur Hasan from CosmosID - a leading next generation sequencing services company, placing together complex unassembled reads and the lack of comprehensive databases are some of the bottlenecks that researchers face in the field of food quality and safety. Hence, providers of end-to-end microbiome platforms are increasing efforts to develop integrated platforms with innovative bioinformatics tools that facilitate ultra-fast metagenomics analysis.
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report
The automated placement of COVID-19 with closest known viruses is being made possible with next-gen metagenomics analysis platforms. Microbial ecologists in the metagenomics market are extensively using shotgun metagenomics to assess the microbial diversity in soil. However, limited sequence assembly from highly complex samples poses a bottleneck for microbial ecologists. Hence, companies should increase awareness about flow cytometry-enabled mini-metagenomics to help microbial ecologists capture expanded microbial diversity from forest soil.
Metagenomic sequencing holds potential in the diagnosis of neuroinfectious diseases. Bioinformatics technologies are being deployed for the study of plant-associated microbial communities. Integrated bioinformatics tools are playing a key role in meeting specificity requirements in food safety applications.
Metagenomics Market: Overview
- The global metagenomics market was valued at US$ 1.3 Bn in 2019. It is projected to expand at a high CAGR from 2020 to 2030. Rapid expansion of the life sciences industry, increase in the number of clinical and diagnostics laboratories, adoption of metagenomics sequencing, rise in application of metagenomics study in genomics & proteomics, and shift in focus on research & development are anticipated to augment the global metagenomics market during the forecast period.
- Technological advancements leading to development of sequencer instruments and availability of data analysis software with presence of various small bioinformatics companies are expected to propel the global metagenomics market
- Metagenomics is a considered to be molecular tool utilized for analysis of the DNA acquired from environmental samples. Metagenomics is the study of the metagenome, the collective genome of microorganisms, from an environmental sample to provide information on the microbial diversity and ecology of a specific environment. Metagenomics is considered to be a modern approach for genomic analysis. This process is time consuming; however, it offers promising possibilities to discover novel genes and biomolecules.
- Environmental samples include samples from water, soil, and feces. Human microbiomes are also used in metagenomics study for analysis of complex microbes. Metagenomics have wide applications in the fields of ecology & environment, drug discovery, clinical diagnostics, and food & beverages. Major steps in the metagenomic study includes sampling, sequencing, sequence read processing, assembly, gene prediction, binning, and functional annotation. Various types of metagenomic sequencings are used in metagenomics such as 16S sequencing, whole genome sequencing, and shotgun sequencing.
Metagenomics Market: Segmentation
- The global metagenomics market has been segmented based on product type, technology, application, and region
- In terms of product type, the global metagenomics market has been classified into instruments, kits & reagents, and others. The instruments segment accounted for a notable share of the market, owing to the instruments used as a primary tools for conducting metagenomic study, as these allow to run samples for further extraction of DNA and displaying the result. Presence of key players are estimated to boost the metagenomics market during the forecast period. Companies such as Illumina Inc., Eurofins Genomics, and Qiagen offers advanced sequencing system to conduct metagenomics study.
- Based on technology, the global metagenomics market has been categorized into 16S sequencing, whole genome sequencing, shotgun sequencing, and others. The 16S sequencing segment accounted for a prominent share of the market in 2019, as it is a highly suitable technology used for DNA sequencing from complex different species samples.
- In terms of application, the global metagenomics market has been divided into ecology & environment, clinical diagnostics, drug discovery, biotechnology, food & beverages, and others. The clinical diagnostics segment dominated the global metagenomics market in 2019, owing to the usage of the shotguns sequencing metagenomics in the detection and screening of pathogen in clinical samples.
Metagenomics Market: Regional Segmentation
- In terms of region, the global metagenomics market has been segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America dominated the global metagenomics market in 2019, attributable to technological advancements, higher adoption rate of metagenomics sequencing, which includes shotgun sequencing, advanced research & development in the region, prevalence of pandemic COVID 19 and other diseases, and wide application of metagenomics study for clinical diagnostics and drug discovery. illumina Inc. is a prominent player and leader that offers next-generation sequencing products across globe. The strong product offerings is another factor that is estimated to fuel the market in the region during the forecast period.
- Europe was the second-largest market for metagenomics globally in 2019. Europe accounted for a leading share of the global market in 2019. According to The Community Research and Development Information Service (CORDIS), increase in EU initiatives for transforming the Research Network in Biodiversity and Evolutionary Biology (InBIO) in Portugal into a hub for top-level research in metagenomics is a major factor boosting the market in Europe. Adoption of bioinformatics tools in metagenomics analysis is expected to drive the market in the region.
Metagenomics Market: Major Players
- Key players operating in the global metagenomics market include
- Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc.
- Illumina, Inc.
- Promega Corporation
- Novogene Co., Ltd.
- Takara Bio, Inc
- Oxford Nanopore Technologies
- Arc Bio, LLC.
- Eurofins Scientific
- Zymo Research
- Microsynth AG
- F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd. (Roche Sequencing)
- PerkinElmer, Inc.
- Computomics GmbH.
- Key players are focused on adopting various strategies to expand their product offerings and strengthen geographic presence across the globe. Key players have incorporated diverse strategies such as mergers & acquisitions, launching new metagenomics sequencer, and adoption of the shotgun sequencing technology, which, in turn, are estimated to propel the global metagenomics market.
Metagenomics Market – Scope of the Report
TMR’s report on the global metagenomics market studies the past as well as current growth trends and opportunities to gain valuable insights of these indicators for the market during the forecast period, 2020 to 2030. The report provides the overall revenue of the global metagenomics market for the period 2018–2030, considering 2019 as the base year and 2030 as the forecast year. The report also provides the compound annual growth rate (CAGR) for the global metagenomics market for the forecast period.
The report has been prepared after an extensive research. Primary research involved bulk of research efforts, wherein analysts carried out interviews with industry leaders and opinion makers. Extensive secondary research involved referring to key players’ product literature, annual reports, press releases, and relevant documents to understand the global metagenomics market.
Secondary research also included Internet sources, statistical data from government agencies, websites, and trade associations. Analysts also employed a combination of the top-down and bottom-up approaches to study various phenomena in the global metagenomics market.
The report comprises an elaborate executive summary, along with a snapshot of the growth behavior of various segments and sub-segments included in the scope of the study. Additionally, the report sheds light on the changing competitive dynamics in the global metagenomics market. These indices serve as valuable tools for existing market players as well as for entities interested in participating in the global metagenomics market. The next section of the global metagenomics market report highlights the USPs, which include key industry events and developments, major research institutes involved, pricing analysis, technological advancements, and COVID-19 pandemic impact on global metagenomics market
The report delves into the competition landscape of the global metagenomics market. Key players operating in the global metagenomics market have been identified, and each one of these has been profiled for distinguishing business attributes. Company overview, financial standings, recent developments, and SWOT are some of the attributes of players profiled in the global metagenomics market report.
Key Questions Answered in Metagenomics Market Report
- What is the sales/revenue generated by the global metagenomics market across all the regions during the forecast period?
- What are the key trends in the global metagenomics market?
- What are the major drivers, restraints, and opportunities in the global market?
- Which region is set to expand at the fastest CAGR during the forecast period?
- Which segment will have the highest revenue globally in 2030 and which product type, and technology will expand at the fastest CAGR during the forecast period?
Metagenomics Market - Research Objectives and Research Approach
The comprehensive report on the global metagenomics market begins with an overview of the market, followed by the scope and objectives of the study. Following this, the report provides detailed explanation of the objectives of the study and healthcare compliances laid down by accredited agencies in the purview of research in the global metagenomics market. It is followed by market introduction, market dynamics, and an overview of the global metagenomics market, which includes TMR analysis of market drivers, restraints, and trends affecting the growth of the market. Furthermore, Y-o-Y analysis with elaborate insights has been provided to understand the Y-o-Y trends of the metagenomics market. The next section of the global metagenomics market report highlights the USPs, which include key industry events and developments, major research institutes involved, pricing analysis, technological advancements and COVID-19 pandemic impact on global metagenomics market
For reading comprehensibility, the report has been compiled in a chapter-wise layout, with each section further divided into smaller sections. The entire report comprises an exhaustive collection of graphs and tables that are appropriately interspersed in the entire compilation. Pictorial representation of actual and projected values of key segments is visually appealing to readers. This also allows comparison of the market shares of key segments in the past and at the end of the forecast period.
Revenue generated by key metagenomics technology and products manufacturers has been mapped to ascertain the size of the global metagenomics market in terms of value. The forecast presented here assesses the total revenue generated in the metagenomics market. In order to provide an accurate forecast, we initiated by sizing up the current metagenomics market with the help of the parent market.
The report analyzes the global metagenomics market in terms of product type, technology, application, and region. Key segments under each criteria have been studied at length, and the market share for each of these at the end of 2030 has been provided. These valuable insights would help market stakeholders in making informed business decisions for investments in the global metagenomics market.
Metagenomics Market - Segmentation
Kits & Reagents
Software & Services
Whole Genome Sequencing
Ecology & Environment
Food & Beverages
Middle East & Africa