Infection Prevention Devices Market: Proliferation of Antibiotic Resistance and Hospital-associated Infections to Propel Adoption
Modern patients have expressed their beliefs in prevention, rather than cure, in a bid to minimize healthcare expenses and boost overall health. Owing to this, most bioengineering efforts need to be directed to the level of prevention, thereby enhancing patient care. Another factor driving the need for the prevention of diseases and infections is antibiotic resistance, which is a globally-rising issue. Moreover, the slow-paced and complex development of new antibiotics is decreasing the healthcare sector’s arsenal of existing drugs, posing a severe threat as ordinary infections become difficult to treat.
As the fight for endurance continues, infection prevention is becoming a vital aspect. With the escalating aggregation of antimicrobial resistance, the healthcare sector has to revert back to the very basics of infection control; develop, evaluate, and implement sets of prevention methods. Transparency Market Research (TMR), in its recent publication on the infection prevention devices market, uncovers the essentials of the industry, with focus on the indications showcasing developments in the market.
Identify the key factors that will drive your company’s growth. Request a brochure of this report here
History Paves the Way for the Future
Scientific study of nosocomial or hospital cross-infection commenced in the early 18th century, followed by the start of the 'Bacteriological Era', which marked the development of new methods of investigating disease outbreaks. The actual understanding of hospital infection was with the discoveries of Pasteur, Koch, and Lister, along with the beginning of the Bacteriological Era. The 19th century seemed to herald the final victory over hospital cross-infection, and witnessed the successes of hospital asepsis and reform. However, this victory was momentary, as it was discovered that, the occurrence of infections was not only in surgical and obstetric patients but also in medical patients, and that air could be a source of infection. Followed by this, the causes of hospital infections along with antibiotic-resistant organisms garnered attention.
Infection prevention and control evolved over time, bringing modern practices into the spotlight. Modern healthcare underwent significant transformations over the years, adopting a proactive approach over the conventionally in-practice, reactive approach. Infection prevention and control took a quantum leap with the emergence of infection control devices, further supported by continued developments and improvisations. The infection prevention devices market is expected to hold a value of ~ US$ 16.9 Bn in 2019, with gains banking on the increasing number of surgical procedures and growing incidents of chronic diseases.
Want to know more such detailed insights of “Infection Prevention Devices Market”? Request a PDF sample here
Key Trends Impacting Market Growth
Rising Geriatric Population to Create Opportunities
The rising geriatric population and increasing incidences of chronic diseases among the older population are creating opportunities for infection prevention devices market players, as hospital admissions continue to rise. Combating hospital-associated infections is becoming a crucial part of patient care, directing attention towards next-gen infection prevention devices.
Growing Antibiotic Resistance to Bolster Demand
Although healthcare continues to develop, emerging organisms are becoming stronger and more immune to antibiotics. Antibiotic resistance is emerging as a global health issue. Alternative measures include innovative antibiotics, which would be expensive, or the usage of phage therapy. On account of this, infection prevention and control remains the most sought-after way to combat this health concern.
Evolving Hospital-level Care in Other Environments
The emergence of personalized patient care, and establishment of urgent care clinics and primary care clinics are reflecting the expansion of patient-care across hospital levels. Organizations following this path require infection prevention supplies and equipment to minimize or eradicate the spread of pathogens. The establishment of such mobile and efficient clinical care centers is likely to create major demand for infection prevention devices.
Infection prevention devices continue to gain momentum across a number of end uses, and the increasing number of surgeries continues to offer growth potential for this business. However, as the healthcare sector continues to develop, next-gen therapeutics and treatments are being provided to patients, resulting in reduced hospital stay, thereby minimizing the need for infection prevention devices. This could hinder the growth of the infection prevention devices market.
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report here
Success Strategies of Manufacturers
Leverage Ultraviolet Technology
With the rise in antibiotic-resistant bacteria and virulent viruses over the last couple of years, healthcare professionals are analyzing their infection prevention methods and adopting newer, improved alternatives that promote better methods of disinfection. One such technique is the ultraviolet infection prevention technology. A new study shows that, ultraviolet disinfection technology eliminates nearly 98 percent of pathogens in the operating room, and might also help defeat superbugs. The implementation of this technique in next-gen infection prevention devices would help providers gain greater margins in sales.
Introduce Advanced Products
Research and development remains a vital strategy for key infection prevention devices market players. Key investments are made for enhancing R&D capabilities in a bid to introduce newer and advanced products to gain a strong market position. Moreover, key research activities are being focused primarily on improving patient outcomes and minimizing failure rates in patients with infectious diseases.
Strengthen Distribution in the U.S.
North America has showcased major growth opportunities for the injection prevention devices market. Continued developments in healthcare and advancements in technologies that support enhanced patient care witnessed across the U.S. are creating major demand for infection prevention and control techniques. Strengthening distribution across North America could allow companies to churn greater profits.
Analysis of the Competitive Landscape
In 2018, Coloplast A/S acquired IncoCare Gunhild Vieler GmbH, a German direct-to-consumer homecare company, to strengthen its position in Germany. Coloplast and IncoCare plan to bring innovative products and services to more consumers across the country.
In 2019, Hollister Incorporated launched the Infyna Chic intermittent catheter, the latest in its line of female hydrophilic catheter offerings. This new catheter is designed to help provide women who use catheters with a high level of discretion. This product would be added to the complete Infyna portfolio, offering women a variety of options to meet their individual needs.
Mölnlycke Health Care AB and Zuellig Pharma entered into a partnership to focus on offering advanced wound care products and solutions to healthcare practitioners and patients across Southeast Asia.
Companies operating in the infection prevention devices market continue to invest in research and development to offer end users with advanced infection prevention supplies. With the support of infection tracking software and AI-enabled systems, infection prevention devices market players are able to offer improved product capabilities. Collaborations and partnerships in a bid to expand both, product portfolio and distribution, are majorly considered.
Analysts’ Perspective on the Market
TMR analysts have a positive perspective on the infection prevention devices market on account of various factors driving the applicability of these devices. According to the analysts, the launch of specifically-designed and advanced infection prevention supplies will push the infection prevention devices market onto a growth trajectory in the coming years. North America remains a prominent market for infection prevention devices, offering sales opportunities for leading market players. Companies aiming geographical expansions could consider business avenues in the U.S. The demand for infection prevention devices continues to grow in hospitals, especially in developed countries, where patient care remains a point of focus for healthcare professionals. Owing to this, hospitals, along with emerging clinical care centers, continue to offer significant sales opportunities for market players. New market entrants could capitalize on this opportunity by offering specifically-designed infection prevention devices for hospitals.
Global Infection Prevention Devices Market: Overview
The global infection prevention devices market was valued at ~ US$ 15.4 Bn in 2018. It is projected to expand at a CAGR of 6.0% from 2019 to 2027. Increase in the global geriatric population, rise in hospital admissions and outpatient visits, and increased demand for infection prevention products due to surgical procedures are key factors that are fueling the global infection prevention devices market.
- Healthcare-associated infections (HAIs) are infections that are acquired in healthcare facilities or as a result of healthcare interventions, and are a major issue for patient safety. Hand hygiene is a highly effective means of preventing HCAIs.
- The employer, in cases of HAIs, should introduce reasonable measures to minimize the risk of employees acquiring or spreading infection. In addition to GPs and practice nurses, administrative and cleaning staff can be exposed to communicable diseases and / or blood / bodily fluid exposure, and therefore, should be vaccinated as appropriate.
- HAIs are infections that are acquired in healthcare facilities or as a result of healthcare interventions, and are a major problem for patient safety.
- Personal protective equipment (PPE) refers to a range of barriers and respirators used alone or in combination to protect mucous membranes, airways, skin, and clothing from contact with infectious agents. The selection of protective equipment required depends on an assessment of the risk of transmission of microorganisms to the patient, and the risk of contamination of the healthcare practitioner’s clothing and skin by a patient’s blood, body fluids, secretions, or excretions.
- Potential sources of pathogens in general practice include bacteria, viruses, pathogenic fungi, protozoa, worms, and prions. Every interaction in general practice should include a risk assessment of the potential for infection transmission.
Drivers & Restraints: Global Infection Prevention Devices Market
- The geriatric population is increasing at a faster rate than that of the younger population. This leads to an increase in hospital visits and surgical procedures, which, in turn, drives the demand for laboratory testing. These factors are likely to propel the global infection prevention devices market. The present geriatric population of 962 million is around 13% of the global population, and is increasing at a rate of around 3% every year. Furthermore, the number of persons aged 80 years or above is estimated to be triple by 2050, an increase from 137 million in 2017 to 425 million by 2050.
- Rise in hospital admissions and outpatient visits could drive the market, thereby fuelling the preference for outpatient care, as it is cost-effective and does not require hospital stay. This is a key factor that is likely to drive the market. Chronic wounds may lead to frequent visits to the hospital or nearby clinic. The number of people with chronic diseases continues to increase globally, and hence, most of them require surgeries.
- The emergency care services of NHS and several other health systems are coming under great strain, and our research has shown that, a significant factor in this rise in emergency admissions is due to the improvement in survival rates at hospitals. This has led to a higher number of people being admitted for unplanned, emergency care for subsequent admissions.
- Technological advancements and drug innovation resulting in minimal hospital stay are expected to restrain the infection prevention devices market. Infection prevention helps improve the mobility of patients, and has proven to be beneficial, owing to several features.
- A visit to the hospital is mostly a last resort for patients, due to the costs associated with admittance. The opportunity for unrelated infections developing in hospitals and other healthcare facilities is high due to the invasive nature of several modern medical procedures.
- The number of surgeries performed in recent decades has increased, exposing patients to infections at incision sites. Moreover, numerous diagnostic instruments and other medical devices are utilized in the treatment of diseases. It is more critical than ever for hospitals to ensure that infectious diseases do not spread.
Market Segmentation: Global Infection Prevention Devices Market
- The global infection prevention devices market has been segmented based on product, end user, and region
- In terms of product, the global infection prevention devices market has been classified into infection prevention supplies, medical waste disposable devices, and infection prevention equipment.
- The infection prevention supplies segment dominated the global infection prevention devices market in 2018, and is projected to continue its dominance during the forecast period.
- Based on end user, the global infection prevention devices market has been divided into hospitals, lifescience industries, clinical laboratories, and others. The hospitals segment dominated the global infection prevention devices market in 2018, due to an increase in global admittance of the geriatric population in hospitals and laboratories for the diagnosis of old age-related diseases.
Regional Segmentation: Global Infection Prevention Devices Market
- In terms of region, the global infection prevention devices market has been segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and the Middle East & Africa.
- North America
- North America dominated the global infection prevention devices market in 2018 due to a rise in hospital admissions in the region.
- Moreover, outpatient visits and increased demand for infection prevention products due to surgical procedures drives the demand for lifescience reagents.
- The infection prevention devices market in Europe is anticipated to expand at a considerable growth rate in the near future, owing to the presence of a large geriatric population and well-established market players in the region.
- Asia Pacific
- The global infection prevention devices market in Asia Pacific is projected to expand at a high CAGR during the forecast period, due to a large patient pool and increasing investments in healthcare in countries such as China.
- North America
Major Players: Global Infection Prevention Devices Market
Key players operating in the global infection prevention devices market include
- Johnson & Johnson (DePuy Synthes)
- Cardinal Health
- PAUL HARTMANN AG
- Mölnlycke Health Care AB
- 3M Healthcare
- B. Braun Melsungen AG
- Coloplast Group
- Ethicon, Inc. (Johnson & Johnson)
- Medline Industries, Inc.
- Dickinson and Company
- C. R. Bard, Inc. (Becton, Dickinson and Company)
- Hollister Incorporated.
These players are adopting strategies such as new product development, partnerships, and acquisitions to remain competitive in the global infection prevention devices market.
TMR’s recent report on the infection prevention devices market offers report audiences with an overall market overview with the help of comprehensive analysis of the global market. The TMR study on the infection prevention devices market evaluates the market with respect to the historical and current market scenario, and provides a forecast for the period of 2019-2027. Report audiences are able to make long-term business decisions with the help of the key findings and exclusive infection prevention devices market insights included in the report. TMR’s report also provides an assessment of the key infection prevention devices market dynamics that are likely to impact the market in future. The report also provides a detailed understanding of the key industry trends and developments made by infection prevention devices market players. The TMR report is divided into vital sections, which allows readers to gain an individual understanding of the market.
Infection Prevention Devices Market Taxonomy
Infection Prevention Supplies
Medical Waste Disposable Devices
Infection Prevention Equipment
Middle East & Africa
Key Questions Answered in the Infection Prevention Devices Market Report
- Which product of infection prevention devices is likely to remain a sought-after type over its counterparts?
- How much value will the infection prevention devices market hold in 2027?
- Which end users are likely to create major demand for infection prevention devices in the next five years?
- Which factors are anticipated to influence the growth of the infection prevention devices market in the coming years?
- What will be the key challenges that market players could face in the coming years?
The first chapter in the study on the infection prevention devices market includes a preface that provides a brief market overview, including the definition and scope of the market. This section discusses the key research objectives and highlights that allow readers to gain a concise market understanding. Following this section is the executive summary, which sheds light on the infection prevention devices market aspects covered in the report. The next chapter in the infection prevention devices market report is the market overview, which offers a glance into the market in terms of key infection prevention devices market dynamics such as drivers, opportunistic avenues, and restraining factors.
The next section provides an outlook of the global infection prevention devices market analysis and forecast in terms of volume and value. Following this overview is the market outlook in terms of the regulatory scenario in different regions, along with a reimbursement scenario, globally. Following this is a detailed segmentation analysis of the infection prevention devices market. Evaluation includes bifurcation on the basis of product, end user, and region. Evaluation of the key segments in the infection prevention devices market and inclusion of year-on-year growth projection, along with basis point share analysis, further helps clients identify lucrative avenues.
The TMR study on the infection prevention devices market offers an evaluation of the regional landscape of the market. Regional assessment helps market players make strategic decisions pertaining to their expansion ideas and investments. Segment-wise and country-level assessment of individual regions helps audiences of the infection prevention devices market study to evaluate the potential of the market. Backed by year-on-year growth projections, and global value and volume share, this section is a significant part of the report on the infection prevention devices market.
The report on the infection prevention devices market provides a holistic competitive assessment, providing details of leading market players. This sections highlights the nature of the infection prevention devices market with the help of the market share held by leading, emerging, and new players. A unique dashboard view of the players in the infection prevention devices market allows the readers to understand the strategies implemented by players and their performance in the infection prevention devices market, featuring focus areas of the infection prevention devices market players. The competitive structure of prominent players in the infection prevention devices market is also discussed in the publication.
The TMR study on the infection prevention devices market is based on a detailed assessment of the market, including comprehensive primary and secondary research. In-depth evaluation of the infection prevention devices market in terms of competitive landscape is supported with individual-level analysis of the various aspects pertaining to the market. An analysis of the historical and current market for infection prevention devices, focusing on key market segments, major regions, and growth drivers, along with other qualitative inputs, help TMR analysts derive crucial predictions and a forecast analysis for the infection prevention devices market. Readers can access the infection prevention devices market report to gain a forecasted market analysis for the period of 2019–2027.