Hereditary Angioedema Treatment Market
Hereditary Angioedema Treatment Market (Drug Class: C1 Esterase Inhibitors, Selective Bradykinin B2 Receptor Antagonists, Kallikrein Inhibitors, and Others; Route of Administration: Intravenous, Subcutaneous Injection, and Oral; Distribution Channel: Hospital Pharmacies, Retail Pharmacies, and Others) - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2019 - 2027
Press Release :
Hereditary Angioedema Treatment Market: Surge in Awareness about Rare Genetic Diseases Contributes to Growth
The prevalence of rare diseases has surged in recent years, as the tracking of their incidence has improved around the world in the past few decades. This is particularly significant for genetic diseases, as standardized screenings and tests are few, as such, making it hard to determine how many people are affected by them. Hereditary angioedema, also known as HAE, has been in the spotlight, as government and non-government organizations around the world work to raise public awareness to increase diagnosis and improve treatment. According to a report by Transparency Market Research on the global hereditary angioedema treatment market, in 2018, the treatment for HAE was sought mainly in North America, making it the largest regional market, accounting for over three-fourth of the global market share. This can be attributed not only to enhanced data tracking, but also better healthcare infrastructure, which has led to the better availability of specialty HAE products in the region.
Although the North America market is expected to grow at a healthy pace over the forecast years, it is expected to yield market share of ~4% to Europe and the Rest of the World, as public awareness about the disease rises in other parts of the world, shaping the further evolution of the hereditary angioedema treatment market.
To understand how our report can bring difference to your business strategy, Ask for a brochure
Subcutaneous Injection – Preferred Route of Administration
The intravenous route of medicine administration has been the method of choice for drugs used in the treatment of hereditary angioedema. This can be attributed to the fact that, conventional prophylactic drugs have traditionally been administered intravenously, and this method has occupied a significant share of the global hereditary angioedema treatment market in the last few years. However, with the development of drugs that can be administered orally and by subcutaneous injection, intravenous drugs are expected to lose popularity in the foreseeable future.
The phenomenal growth of subcutaneous injections as a mode of drug administration can be attributed to the demand for ease-of-usage for patients, which has had an instrumental impact on the growth of this segment. Where in 2018 subcutaneous injections accounted for close to half of the total market, by the end of the forecast period in 2027, this segment is anticipated to grow to occupy ~65% of the share.
Request a sample to get extensive insights into the Negatively Impact Market
New Therapies & Innovations Contributing to Hereditary Angioedema Treatment Market Growth
In recent years, there has been an impressive amount of research being done for the development of drugs for hereditary angioedema treatment. This has included not just drugs to control the symptoms of the illness, but also prophylactic treatment for HAE attacks. There are currently several drugs that are in various stages of approval for the long-term prophylactic treatment of HAE in children and adults. For instance, in May 2019, BioCryst Pharmaceuticals announced that its drug - BCX7353, for the prevention of (HAE) attacks, has achieved its primary endpoint for both dose levels.
Frequent Misdiagnosis of HAE to Negatively Impact Market
As with all rare genetic diseases, because the incidence of hereditary angioedema is lower in comparison to other illnesses, it is often overlooked and misdiagnosed as a different disease. The alarming rate of misdiagnosis of hereditary angioedema, globally, as common allergies, appendicitis, and Irritable Bowel Syndrome, has led to a delay in effective treatment, which has had a significant negative impact on the growth of the global hereditary angioedema treatment market.
Also restraining the growth of the market is the prohibitively high cost of the drugs used for hereditary angioedema treatment. Even as drug companies are working to introduce newer and better drugs for hereditary angioedema treatment, for both, acute attack and prophylactic treatments, cost management continues to remain an obstacle in the growth trajectory of the market.
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report on “Negatively Impact Market”
Hereditary Angioedema Treatment Market: Analysts’ Overview
The global hereditary angioedema treatment market is set to grow at a healthy pace during the forecast period, due to the gradually increasing awareness and diagnoses of rare genetic diseases, and product innovation for their treatment. According to analysts at Transparency Market Research, as newer and better classes of drugs are being made for a spectrum of symptoms and severity, players targeting their R&D toward the prophylactic treatment of hereditary angioedema attacks are likely to maximize their gains in the near future.
Subcutaneous injections are growing in popularity due to patient convenience and ease, being aided by the launch of innovative new products that employ this route of administration. Players in the market taking advantage of this preference in the development of medication for HAE are likely to gain a competitive edge in the hereditary angioedema treatment market.
The regional market in North America is expected to expand robustly, due to the large number of reported cases, coupled with a well-established healthcare infrastructure. The future is set to be lucrative for manufacturers focusing on ameliorating their product offerings to include personalized and speciality drugs for the treatment of hereditary angioedema.
Global Hereditary Angioedema Treatment Market and Report Description
- Hereditary angioedema (HAE) is a rare and potentially life-threatening autosomal disease, characterized by swelling in the hands, feet, face, abdomen, upper airways, and other body parts. It occurs in 1 in 10,000 to 1 in 50,000 people.
- HAE occurs due to improper functioning of a protein called C1 inhibitor, which affects the blood vessel.
- Improper functioning of C1-INH protein results in increase of bradykinin concentration in the blood. This leads to accumulation of fluids outside the blood vessels, blocking the normal blood flow, and resulting in swelling of body organs.
- Only a few drugs have been approved in major countries for the treatment of hereditary angioedema.
- This disease can be treated using some of the approved drugs including C1 estearse inhibitors, selective bradykinin B2 receptor antagonists, kallikrein inhibitors, and other conventional drugs such as attenuated drugs and antifibrinolytic agents.
- Surge in awareness about hereditary angioedema and promising pipeline drugs & novel therapies are factors boosting the growth of the global hereditary angioedema treatment market.
- The global hereditary angioedema treatment market was valued at ~US$ 2 Bn in 2018.
- The global hereditary angioedema treatment market is projected to reach a value of ~US$ 5 Bn by 2027, expanding at a CAGR of ~9% from 2019 to 2027.
Hereditary Angioedema Treatment Market: Drivers
- Surge in awareness about hereditary angioedema and rise in the prevalence of rare disorders across the globe are major factors boosting the growth of the global hereditary angioedema treatment market.
- Approval of novel drugs in the past few years and promising pipeline drugs also fuel the growth of the global hereditary angioedema treatment market.
- Moreover, rise in the intensity of severe attacks of edema due to high estrogen levels and increase in the usage of ACE inhibitors are other factors accelerating the growth of the hereditary angioedema treatment market.
Hereditary Angioedema Treatment Market: Notable Trends
- Surge in the awareness about rare disorders and hereditary angioedema in the past few years is attributed to the growth of the global hereditary angioedema treatment market. Novel therapies, pipeline drugs, and new product launches such as Takhzyro, a lanadelumab monoclonal antibody for the treatment of prophylactic HAE, are the major factors driving the global hereditary angioedema treatment market.
- The oral route of administration is emerging as a trend in the hereditary angioedema treatment market, as a majority of the pipeline drugs are oral products. This route offers greater ease to patients and lesser side effects.
- Companies strive to enter this rare diseases market with novel products in the pipeline. These players can enter the hereditary angioedema treatment market due to expiration of the market exclusivity of certain major products of established players in the next few years.
Hereditary Angioedema Treatment Market: Segment Analysis
- Kallikrein inhibitors is anticipated to be a promising segment during the forecast period, owing to recently approved product – Takhzyro.
- Recent launch and approval of the kallikrein inhibitor – Takhzyro - in the U.S., and expected launch of this drug in other markets is likely to drive the segment in the global hereditary angioedema treatment landscape.
- Based on route of administration, the global hereditary angioedema treatment market can be divided into intravenous, subcutaneous injection, and oral. The subcutaneous injection segment is projected to dominate the global hereditary angioedema treatment market during the forecast period, owing to patient convenience and newly approved products.
- In terms of distribution channel, the retail pharmacies segment dominated the global hereditary angioedema treatment market in 2018. The others segment is anticipated to be more attractive, owing to rise in the adoption of online pharmacies.
Global Hereditary Angioedema Treatment Market: Major Players
- The report concludes with the company profiles section that includes key information about major players in the hereditary angioedema treatment market.
- Key players analyzed in this report on the global hereditary angioedema treatment market are Shire plc (Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited), CSL Limited, and Pharming Group NV. This section also includes companies such as Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc., BioCryst Pharmaceuticals, Inc., KalVista Pharmaceuticals Ltd., and Attune Pharmaceuticals that have drugs in the pipeline, which are expected to launch in the new few years.
- Robust R&D activities for pipeline products, new product approvals for specific indications, and strategic mergers & acquisitions are the key strategies adopted by major players in the global hereditary angioedema treatment market.
- On January 7, 2019, Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited acquired Shire plc to form a strong value-based, biopharmaceutical global leading player.
- In June 2017, CSL Limited launched HAEGARDA in the U.S. after strong research and development.
- In August 2018, Shire plc received FDA approval for Takhzyro, a monoclonal antibody product, in the U.S., for the treatment of preventive hereditary angioedema.
- In January 2017, the European Commission approved Pharming Group’s Ruconest for self-administration for acute HAE attacks in adolescents and adults.
Hereditary Angioedema Treatment Market - Scope of the Report
TMR’s report on the global hereditary angioedema treatment market studies the past as well as current growth trends and opportunities to gain valuable insights of the same indicators for the market for the forecast period of 2019 to 2027. The report provides the overall market revenue of the global hereditary angioedema treatment market for the period of 2017–2027, considering 2018 as the base year and 2027 as the forecast year. The report also provides the compound annual growth rate (CAGR) for the global hereditary angioedema treatment market for the forecast period.
The report has been prepared after extensive primary and secondary research. Primary research involved bulk of the research efforts, wherein, analysts carried out interviews with key opinion leaders, industry leaders, and opinion makers. Extensive secondary research involved referring to key players’ product literature, annual reports, press releases, and relevant documents to understand the global hereditary angioedema treatment market.
Secondary research also includes Internet sources, statistical data from government agencies, websites, and trade associations. Analysts have employed a combination of the top-down and bottom-up approach to study various phenomena in the global hereditary angioedema treatment market.
The report includes an elaborate executive summary, along with a snapshot of the growth behavior of various segments and sub-segments included in the scope of the study. Furthermore, the report sheds light on changing competitive dynamics in the global hereditary angioedema treatment market. These indices serve as valuable tools for existing market players as well as for entities interested in participating in the global hereditary angioedema treatment market.
The report delves into the competitive landscape of the global hereditary angioedema treatment market. Key players operating in the global hereditary angioedema treatment market have been identified, and each one of these has been profiled for their distinguishing business attributes. Company overview, financial standings, recent developments, and SWOTs are some of the attributes of players in the global hereditary angioedema treatment market that have been profiled in this report.
Key Questions Answered in the Hereditary Angioedema Treatment market Report
- What is the sales/revenue expected to be generated by each drug class and route of administration segment of the hereditary angioedema treatment market across all regions during the forecast period?
- What are the opportunities in the global hereditary angioedema treatment market?
- What are the major drivers, restraints, opportunities, and threats in the market?
- Which regional market is likely to expand at the fastest CAGR during the forecast period?
- Which hereditary angioedema drug class, route of administration, and distribution channel segments are expected to generate the highest revenue, globally, in 2027? Which segment is projected to expand at the highest CAGR during the forecast period?
- What was the market share or position of different companies operating in the global market in 2018?
Global Hereditary Angioedema Treatment Market - Research Objectives and Research Approach
The comprehensive report on the global hereditary angioedema treatment market begins with an overview of the market, followed by the scope and objectives of this study. Following this, the report provides detailed explanation of the objectives behind this study, pipeline analysis, orphan drug exclusivity scenario, key mergers & acquisitions, and disease overview.
For reading comprehensibility, the report has been compiled in a chapter-wise layout, with each section divided into small sections. The entire report comprises an exhaustive collection of graphs and tables appropriately interspersed in the entire compilation. Pictorial representation of actual and projected values of key segments is visually appealing to readers. This also allows comparison of the market shares of key segments in the past and at the end of the forecast period.
Global Hereditary Angioedema Treatment market - Segmentation
TMR’s study on the global hereditary angioedema treatment market includes information divided into four sections: drug class, route of administration, distribution channel, and region. Changing industry trends and other crucial market dynamics associated with these sections of the global hereditary angioedema treatment market have been discussed in detail.
C1 Esterase Inhibitors
Selective Bradykinin B2 Receptor Antagonists
Route of Administration
Rest of the World