Hepatorenal Syndrome Treatment Market
Hepatorenal Syndrome Treatment Market (Type: Type 1 Hepatorenal Syndrome, Type 2 Hepatorenal Syndrome; Treatment: Therapeutics, Surgical Treatment; End User: Hospitals & Clinics, Ambulatory Surgical Centers, Academic & Research Institutes, and Others) - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2019 - 2027
Press Release :
Exponential Growth in Therapeutics Boosts Growth of Hepatorenal Syndrome Treatment Market
Improvements in the therapeutics landscape of the hepatorenal syndrome treatment market are creating new avenues in incremental opportunities for healthcare companies. Although surgical treatments dominate the hepatorenal syndrome (HRS) treatment market, analysts at Transparency Market Research (TMR) anticipate an exponential growth for therapeutics in terms of market value share. Therapeutics are projected to rise from a market value share of ~1% in 2018 to ~6% by the end of 2027, in the hepatorenal syndrome treatment market. Thus, lucrative opportunities in the therapeutics landscape are attracting the attention of healthcare companies.
Healthcare companies are developing improved formulations of therapeutic drugs that are safe and effective for HRS patients. For instance, in May 2019, Mallinckrodt - a global specialty pharmaceutical company, announced the launch of Terlipressin - an investigational agent for the treatment of type 1 hepatorenal syndrome.
Since there are no treatments approved in the U.S. and Canada for HRS-1, healthcare companies are increasing their research efforts to reach full potential in terms of the enrollment of participants. Thus, active enrollment of participants in clinical studies will help enhance the credibility of research outcomes in the hepatorenal syndrome treatment market.
To know the scope of our report Get a Sample on Hepatorenal Syndrome Treatment Market
Health Commissions Recommend Albumin as Cost-effective Treatment Option for Cirrhosis and HRS
Complications of cirrhosis lead to HRS and progressive kidney failure amongst patients with severe liver damage. Hence, healthcare providers prescribe albumin to cirrhotic patients with acute decompensation. Albumin is gaining increased popularity in the hepatorenal syndrome treatment market, since it serves as a cost-effective treatment option for HRS and cirrhosis. As such, there is growing demand for albumin in hospitals and ambulatory surgical centers across Germany, Italy, and Spain.
Get a glimpse of the in-depth analysis through our Report Brochure
Healthcare companies in the hepatorenal syndrome treatment market are increasing their production capabilities of albumin, since the protein serves as a low-cost and effective alternative to saline, gelatin, and no fluid treatment of large volume paracentesis (LVP). It is found that, the combination of albumin with antibiotics is clinically more effective than antibiotics alone in the hepatorenal syndrome treatment landscape. To reduce the severe complications of cirrhosis amongst HRS patients, healthcare companies in the hepatorenal syndrome treatment market are increasing awareness about the combination therapy of albumin with vasoconstrictors.
Albumin is being increasingly used in combination with other drugs such as terlipressin. This trend is gaining increased popularity due to its low medical complication costs. Due to reduced rates of renal impairment and reduced mortality rates, health commissions across various countries are recommending the prescription of albumin to treat serious conditions of HRS.
Economic Evaluation Helps Companies Analyze Cost Difference for HRS Treatment Options
HRS is characterized by renal failure in patients suffering from advanced chronic liver disease (CLD). This disease condition has led to increased hospitalizations in the U.S. As such, the U.S. currently accounts for the highest revenue amongst all regions in the hepatorenal syndrome treatment market, with a value recorded at ~US$ 5 billion in 2018. Therefore, companies in the hepatorenal syndrome treatment market are increasing their efforts to introduce advanced treatment options for HRS patients in the U.S. However, it is found that, there is a growing need for cost-efficient treatment alternatives for the diagnosis of HRS in the U.S. Costly HRS treatments have created the problem of economic burden amongst patients. This has adversely affected the credibility of outcomes, as patients lack access to cost-efficient and effective treatment options.
Hence, companies in the hepatorenal syndrome treatment market are carrying out extensive research to analyze the number of hospitals that offer treatments at a higher cost. This is particularly compared with hospitals in the developing countries of Asia Pacific. For instance, it has been found that, the cost of treatment for HRS is less expensive in India as compared to the economic evaluation of treatment offered in Brazil. Companies in the hepatorenal syndrome treatment market are increasing research & development to devise strategies that reduce the economic burden on patients, and are increasing the availability of effective treatment options at U.S. hospitals.
In 2027, surgical treatments are projected to account for ~94% market share of the hepatorenal syndrome treatment market. Hence, healthcare companies should focus on the application of evidence-based algorithms, catering to surgical and pharmacological options for patients suffering from HRS.
However, surgical repair of umbilical hernia in cirrhotic patients has increased risks of high postoperative morbidity and mortality. To overcome this hurdle, companies should aid healthcare providers to increase their efficacy in elective surgery with perioperative preparations to ensure effective and safe outcomes after a surgery. Since HRS treatment is less expensive in Asia Pacific, healthcare companies should capitalize on this opportunity, as the region is estimated for exponential market growth amongst all the other regions in the landscape.
Global Hepatorenal Syndrome Treatment Market: Overview
- The global hepatorenal syndrome treatment market was valued at ~US$ 11 Bn in 2018 and is projected to reach a value of ~US$ 16.7 Bn by 2027, expanding at a CAGR of ~5% from 2019 to 2027.
- North America, Europe, and Asia Pacific were the major regional hepatorenal syndrome treatment markets in 2018. The hepatorenal syndrome treatment markets in North America and Asia Pacific are likely to expand at CAGRs of 5.1% and 4.8%, respectively, during the forecast period.
- The global hepatorenal syndrome treatment market is projected to witness high growth, owing to promising effective therapies in the pipeline for addressing gaps in the treatment of hepatorenal syndrome.
- Increase in the prevalence and incidence of hepatorenal syndrome and development and launch of various pipeline drugs for the treatment of hepatorenal syndrome in the near future are expected to drive the global HRS treatment market during the forecast period.
Global Hepatorenal Syndrome Treatment Market: Significant Growth Prospects in Developing Countries
- Developing economies in Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Eastern Europe hold great opportunities for the hepatorenal syndrome treatment market, owing to their increasing population, coupled with rise in health care-related customer expenditure brought about by the rise in their economies.
- Continuous technological advancements in surgical procedures for liver and kidney diseases with respect to higher efficacy and targeted therapeutic role have widened the scope for players present in the hepatorenal syndrome treatment market.
- New drugs with combined features of reduced side-effects and higher efficacy have a significant potential for growth in the hepatorenal syndrome treatment market. Thus, the introduction of new products can help new entrants establish their foothold in the hepatorenal syndrome treatment market.
Increase in Disease Awareness & Patient Support Programs to Boost Hepatorenal Syndrome Treatment Market
- In order to reduce mortality and morbidity rates, governments in developed and developing countries are conducting awareness campaigns to encourage people to go for the early diagnosis of kidney and liver diseases. This, in turn, is expected to increase awareness regarding hepatorenal syndrome diagnosis and treatment, thereby boosting the growth of the global hepatorenal syndrome treatment market.
- For instance, every 2nd Thursday of March is observed as World Kidney Day. It is a global awareness campaign to increase awareness about chronic kidney diseases and the introduction of healthy changes in life to reduce risk factors.
- Moreover, in developing countries such as India, hospitals are raising awareness about these diseases. For instance, in February 2016, Noida-based Jaypee Hospital in India organized a kidney and liver disease awareness campaign.
Global Hepatorenal Syndrome Treatment Market: Fast Track and Orphan Drug Designations
- In 1983, recognizing that adequate drugs for rare disorders had not been developed in the U.S., the Congress passed the Orphan Drug Act to provide incentives to induce companies to develop drugs for THE treatment of rare and neglected diseases. Orphan drug status is granted to drugs and biologics that are intended for the diagnosis, prevention, or treatment of rare diseases or disorders that affect fewer than 200,000 people in the U.S. Orphan drugs are given priority review, allowing them to be assessed within six months for approval.
- Hepatorenal syndrome is a form of impaired kidney function that occurs in individuals with advanced chronic liver disease. AROUND 40% of people with ascites and cirrhosis develop hepatorenal syndrome.
- In case of hepatorenal syndrome treatment, several drugs have received orphan drug designation, thereby accelerating their approval process, and this can act as a factor pushing the growth of the hepatorenal syndrome treatment market.
- For instance, in November 2004, ESP Pharma, Inc. announced that FDA had granted Orphan Drug Designation to Terlipressin for the treatment of hepatorenal syndrome Type 1, providing seven years marketing exclusivity upon the completion of clinical studies and FDA approval of the drug for this indication.
- Additionally, in November 2018, BioVie Inc. announced that the FDA has granted Orphan Drug designation to its Terlipressin drug for the treatment of hepatorenal syndrome (HRS).
- The designation for orphan drug allows manufacturers to qualify for various incentives, including tax credits for qualified clinical trials, along with seven years of market exclusivity upon regulatory approval. This is likely to drive the hepatorenal syndrome treatment market during the forecast period.
Global Hepatorenal Syndrome Treatment Market: Competition Landscape
- Strategic collaborations among key manufacturers and companies having their products in clinical trials to expedite the process of research & development are likely to help thousands of patients suffering from hepatorenal syndrome. Rise in the trend of collaborations is projected to drive the hepatorenal syndrome treatment market by fueling novel product launches.
- In 2010, Ikaria, Inc. entered into a strategic collaboration with Orphan Therapeutics to acquire the rights of Orphan Therapeutics’ drug ‘LUCASSIN’ in North America and Australia. Ikaria, Inc. holds all the necessary rights to manufacture, develop, and commercialize LUCASSIN in Mexico, the U.S., and Australia.
- Additionally, in April 2017, Mallinckrodt plc acquired Ikaria, Inc. The deal was valued at US$ 2.3 Bn.
- Such collaborations are likely to enhance the chances of the development of comprehensive treatment for hepatorenal syndrome, thereby improving the survival rate of patients, and eventually surging the growth of the hepatorenal syndrome treatment market.
Hepatorenal Syndrome Treatment Market - Scope of the Report
Analysts at Transparency Market Research, in their recently collated research report, have presented detailed analysis and objective insights on the potential growth of the hepatorenal syndrome treatment market. The report extensively brings out the dynamics of the hepatorenal syndrome treatment market that are currently affecting its landscape. This in-depth research report also has an extensive SWOT analysis of the leading industry heavyweights in the hepatorenal syndrome treatment market, in an attempt to gain information on industry strongholds as well as shed light on the areas of improvement. Special emphasis has been laid on the drivers, restraints, opportunities, and threats in the hepatorenal syndrome treatment market space. This gives stakeholders a holistic view of the hepatorenal syndrome treatment market, especially during the forecast period.
The study on the hepatorenal syndrome treatment market has also been conducted via thorough appraisal of Porter’s Five Forces analysis. An extensive global research done on the market also strives to highlight the key trends in the HRS treatment market that are likely to propel its growth during the forecast period. Statistical assessments of hepatorenal syndrome treatment market growth have been carried out in terms of value (US$ Mn).
This is an attempt to let stakeholders understand what the growth strategies and underlying opportunities are that could enable them in making expert decisions in the expanding repertoire of the hepatorenal syndrome treatment market. Competitive analysis of key players in the hepatorenal syndrome treatment market by our researchers perhaps remains the most vital ingredient in giving insights about mergers, acquisitions, research & development, and technological innovations. These allow competitors to accelerate their growth in the right direction in the hepatorenal syndrome treatment market.
Hepatorenal Syndrome Treatment Market – Key Questions That Have Been Answered
Through statistical analysis, detailed figures have been arrived at, which describe the growth of the hepatorenal syndrome treatment market. Authors of this report, through a comprehensive study and intelligent analytics, have arrived at some key questions that give readers a holistic and refreshing perspective of the HRS treatment market landscape. Influential trends help answer critical questions related to the hepatorenal syndrome treatment market, some of which are listed below:
- What are the key factors that are influencing the hepatorenal syndrome treatment market in each region?
- What are the major developments that will take place in the hepatorenal syndrome treatment market during the forecasted period of 2019-2027?
- What are the revenue figures of the global hepatorenal syndrome treatment market by type, treatment, end user, and region?
- What are the prevalent trends and how do they affect the future scope of the hepatorenal syndrome treatment market?
- How is the rising prevalence of hepatorenal syndrome going to influence the need for surgical and therapeutic treatment options in the hepatorenal syndrome treatment market landscape?
Hepatorenal Syndrome Treatment Market Report: Research Methodology
Qualitative and quantitative information on the hepatorenal syndrome treatment market is then culled by exhaustive research. Information on the hepatorenal syndrome treatment market has been sourced from Transparency Market Research’s internal repositories as well as client-specific databases. Key opinion leaders, pharmaceutical companies, healthcare providers, and medical aesthetic companies also aid in interpreting the factors that are likely to influence the growth of the hepatorenal syndrome treatment market in the coming years. Our research has been lauded and widely sought-after, thanks to the infinite supply of information that we obtain from company websites, industrial publications, and government statistics.
Hepatorenal Syndrome Treatment Market - Segmentation
In order to understand the granular and broader nuances of the market, the segmentation of the hepatorenal syndrome treatment market has been done on the basis of type, treatment, end user, and region. This is one way by which incremental opportunities can be assessed in the hepatorenal syndrome treatment market.
Middle East & Africa